#1 lmwilco1

lmwilco1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationTempe Arizona

Posted 24 September 2021 - 03:05 PM

I am thinking about converting my Grandby to a NS sleeping arrangement as I am pressed up to the sides while sleeping EW. The existing plywood for the sliding section of the bed is 1/2" plywood, I am trying to find out if that is sufficient or if I should use 3/4". Has anyone made this change or can measure the plywood on a factory NS bed I would appreciate it

Thanks,

Louis

#2 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 929 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 24 September 2021 - 04:12 PM

I have a 2021 Grandby with the king bed option. The overall thickness of the material is 5/8 inch. It is covered top and bottom with cabinet-type formica.

I’m just shy of 6 feet tall, and a part time stomach sleeper, and east west is a bit short for me. Plus, I like hanging my toes over the edge of the bed. North south is nice for both height and access reasons, and I’m really glad I ordered that option. The only tiny downside is stowing the extra cushions. The dinette bed is still very usable with the extended overhang.

Edited by Jon R, 24 September 2021 - 05:25 PM.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#3 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 24 September 2021 - 08:53 PM

No real great advice on the build, however, we have the north south bad and instead of using a king mattress we use a queen and it gives us the ability to turn the mattress east west and close up and keep all in place.. also a place to throw a dog bed for our needy dog who insists on sleeping up there with us.. 

All around a way better option for many reason, but not having to climb over the wife on the way out is well worth it..

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#4 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 929 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 24 September 2021 - 09:32 PM

BBZ - so when you close up you leave the bed shelf partially out in the queen position, or is your queen mattress in pieces? The bed fully stowed is only 48 inches.

Edited by Jon R, 24 September 2021 - 10:00 PM.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#5 lmwilco1

lmwilco1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationTempe Arizona

Posted 25 September 2021 - 03:44 PM

Thanks for the info, I will start hunting  for some good plywood.

Louis

#6 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 27 September 2021 - 08:23 PM

BBZ - so when you close up you leave the bed shelf partially out in the queen position, or is your queen mattress in pieces? The bed fully stowed is only 48 inches.

yes just partially out.. and when camper is up and we are hanging out in the camper we can just slide the mattress up on the front wall slightly so that we can close all the way as our table in the front of the camper.. 

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users