#32 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,346 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 01 March 2022 - 10:59 PM

I adjusted, should work now. 

Yup, thanks! You get points for starting with the very cute puppy. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#33 GroovyDad

GroovyDad

• Members
  • 765 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 01 March 2022 - 11:54 PM

Did you have to beef up your rear receiver hitch in order to carry the MC?  It looks like you may have had to add a receiver hitch extension and that'll put more weight on it.  

Curious as I'm looking to do something very similar.

"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." —John Muir. http://aimlessroamer.blogspot.com/

#34 Jsoboti

Jsoboti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 02 March 2022 - 04:27 PM

I went with Firestone with Daystar cradles. I run them pretty low a lot of the time but love them for leveling and when I am fully loaded. I would say to keep the sag down I would run them. Mine are at 40psi when lightly loaded and up to about 65 when I'm heavy

How has the ride been with the Firestone airbags, particularly off road?  Are you running stock leafs? I just had Carli Kings installed with progressive coils but i'm not sure what to do about the rear leafs. 

My installer said he hates the way the airbags ride and suggested I continue with my stock leaf pack (with helper leaf installed). I would ultimately like to work towards a progressive leaf pack (maybe Carli HD or XHD) with airbags to supplement. But if the ride is horrible with the airbags I'll have to explore other options. Camper is on my truck 95% of the year.

Thanks for the info and great write ups! 

2014 F-350 | 2019 FWC Hawk | King Suspension 

#35 cware

cware

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 March 2022 - 06:14 PM

Did you have to beef up your rear receiver hitch in order to carry the MC?  It looks like you may have had to add a receiver hitch extension and that'll put more weight on it.  

Curious as I'm looking to do something very similar.

Nope, stock hitch. I built the rack though and it's 2.5" so I don't have to use a adapter. The bike is only 220lb so not bad. I cut 3/16 pate for the bike tray to attach to and it goes fully around the 2.5 bar that comes out of the hitch so you get a 360deg weld. It's super stout. it's long for sure, it changes the ride a bit and requires more air in the bags.

AM-JKLXUk2NDkuJZ28N9GkIGrtDgngRH3Sg8hXRA

#36 cware

cware

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 March 2022 - 06:24 PM

How has the ride been with the Firestone airbags, particularly off road?  Are you running stock leafs? I just had Carli Kings installed with progressive coils but i'm not sure what to do about the rear leafs. 

My installer said he hates the way the airbags ride and suggested I continue with my stock leaf pack (with helper leaf installed). I would ultimately like to work towards a progressive leaf pack (maybe Carli HD or XHD) with airbags to supplement. But if the ride is horrible with the airbags I'll have to explore other options. Camper is on my truck 95% of the year.

Thanks for the info and great write ups! 

The bag are great. I think most peoples issue with them is they don't have enough shock to control the rebound. I'm also coil in the back on the 2500 but think it still applies. I think the bags ride fine for a 10k truck off road and my KINGS are on the stiff side. Am I hitting 2 foot whoops at 50mph no, but I would say I drive that truck harder than most people would with a camper on the back and it works. I want to go up to a 37" tire also to get more sidewall which will help a bit. 

My camper is on 100% of the time and the weight goes up or down a lot with water load, dirtbike and how many days I'm going for so the bags are great for that and next build I would do the same even if just to use them to level the truck, makes it so easy.

I see your in WA, for reference I did the WABR from Carson to Packwood and a 4 runner with a good lift could not keep up on the faster stuff. Though the deep pot holes or off camber slow stuff it's a handful but I don't blame the bags. 

Shot from that trip-

AM-JKLUcFEYMYmggTQ77_9cogyMYFf708-TskI1S

Edited by cware, 02 March 2022 - 06:26 PM.

#37 cware

cware

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 March 2022 - 05:34 PM

I got a few questions on the panels, here is the link if you want one. 

https://www.instagra...g_web_copy_link

#38 cware

cware

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 June 2022 - 06:14 PM

New rack built out. 

AM-JKLWw84gx5lT0OuGnZUempyPGGZ7TZ6IN91Qb

AM-JKLXxu7PYZiQ8ZRzZpXD9vwNs2hZlIXxWlcWA

AM-JKLVVNzI_S4jtn605b_21OdaiUzRUEBtwJodZ

Edited by cware, 27 June 2022 - 03:42 PM.

#39 Herbie

Herbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 15 June 2022 - 06:06 PM

Not seeing the most recent photos...  :(

Edited by Herbie, 15 June 2022 - 06:06 PM.

#40 UncleDougie

UncleDougie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 20 June 2022 - 09:24 PM

Maybe not the right place to ask this question, but...

Why do flatbeds need to be so "thick"?  I see 3" to 4" crossbeams on these which makes the camper ride so much higher.  I get that these beds are built for heavy duty use.  Carrying a FWC/ATC is not a heavy duty task!  Does anyone make a flatbed that is not as "beefy" and still works well?

I'm working with Bowen Customs out of Denver and had the opportunity to do a "lower" flatbed. If I went that route I would not have a very deep slide out drawer in the rear and I really wanted a slide out equipment drawer. With the taller height my drawer will be 5.5-6" deep. Any shallower and it would be able to hold many practical items.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users