• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:52 AM

Bought the used Granby FWC late last Fall and put it on my longbed F150 and while it did OK for several thousand mile trips I opted to go for an F250. Thought about new but since the market ate my retirement I stayed with a used 7.3 which seems to be the Ford motor of choice. Anyway I needed to get it ready for my Alaska trip which meant a good mechanical checkout and a few mods to make it stronger and a bit more off road worthy. I'm new to this truck stuff, especially the diesel so it has been fun. I added a DP Tuner 60+ chip which has been great, much more performance and still good mileage and also went with an oversize Donaldson severe duty airfilter and housing. That's all for under the hood. The suspension and truck had 120,000 on it and ws sagged out so I ended up putting new Ford leafs in the rear and adding Firestone Airbags to balance and raise the rear as needed. Of course then I wanted to level the front so I put in a kit up front that raised it about 2+ inches. In the process it was discovered that the sway bar mount was cracked/busted/no damn good so that was welded up plus I added Rough Country 9000 shocks all around. Finally in spite of having bought new tires as I headed for Alaska they were Big O crap and 20,000 later they look that bad so I bit the bullet and bought Firestone Destination AT's 285/75/16 up from the 265's that I had, E rating for my peace of mind. Then my final little mod was to have a custom front receiver snuck into the grill so I can haul more crap with me (-: A few pics, nothing fancy but should be good to go, rides well, a few inches higher, stronger performing, oh yeah and I threw in two 850cca batteries. So a pretty low cost truck that should be solid and capable and no payments following me. Here is the front lift:
Posted Image
Airbags
Posted Image
Front receiver
Posted Image
Tires
Posted Image
Overall lift/stance
Posted Image
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#2 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 30 July 2009 - 02:39 AM

It looks good. I've always been partial to mild lifts. :)

#3 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:27 AM

I'll get a picture up but I have a Segway loaded on the front receiver/rack and a dirt bike on the rear, bet she'll be 28' long. Air shocks should come in handy with the bike sitting off the back.

#4 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 30 July 2009 - 04:49 AM

Looks very nice.

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

#5 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 30 July 2009 - 06:24 AM

Barko

That's a good looking rig.
I'm no expert on Fords but from my 4x4 experience lift blocks on the front axle are a no-no. The lateral forces imposed on the steering axle combined with the lever arm created by the lift blocks can lead to problems such as broken u-bolts or sheared center pins. Any steering or suspension problems will be amplified.
I don't mean to bum you out but I think it's something you should check out before you head north.

Good Luck- -Dick
2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#6 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:41 PM

I already did the 11,000 miles to Alaska. This was a small 2' raise by a very experienced Ford 4x4 guy with better U bolts so it has my confidence.

Barko

That's a good looking rig.
I'm no expert on Fords but from my 4x4 experience lift blocks on the front axle are a no-no. The lateral forces imposed on the steering axle combined with the lever arm created by the lift blocks can lead to problems such as broken u-bolts or sheared center pins. Any steering or suspension problems will be amplified.
I don't mean to bum you out but I think it's something you should check out before you head north.

Good Luck- -Dick

#7 emilyjordan

emilyjordan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 02:11 PM

Where are you getting your truck accessories?

#8 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 10 September 2009 - 03:37 PM

Be more specific.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#9 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 10 September 2009 - 03:43 PM

Great looking truck and mods, way to go Barko.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#10 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:08 PM

Grrrrr

I think it is just another spammer !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where are you getting your truck accessories?

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users