40 replies to this topic

#31 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,972 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 06 December 2021 - 07:48 PM

+1 on the lousy bluetooth range with the DCDC.  The other Victron units work from 50' away, the DCDC won't even reach the cab of the truck.  

#32 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,081 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 06 December 2021 - 11:19 PM

+1 same here... I have to hold the phone and put it into the back seat (3 ft from the unit) to get a a link

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#33 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 578 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 30 January 2022 - 03:14 PM

I know it's likely a silly question but what happens if my solar is on the input side of the Orion DC-DC charger so that it would also keep my truck battery topped off?  One problem I see is the MPPT would be set to either AGM profile or Lithium. Ron 

Edited by nikonron, 30 January 2022 - 03:24 PM.

#34 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,972 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 31 January 2022 - 12:03 AM

I know it's likely a silly question but what happens if my solar is on the input side of the Orion DC-DC charger so that it would also keep my truck battery topped off?  One problem I see is the MPPT would be set to either AGM profile or Lithium. Ron 

Are you suggesting that the raw output of the solar panels go to your truck batteries?  Not good.

If you are suggesting feeding the output of the MPPT into the DCDC and from there into the truck batteries, the MPPT would be awfully confused, not knowing what to make of the input side of the DCDC.

I battery switch or switch and relay to flip inputs would be better.  I tried creating a really complex system last winter and gave up.  I think a simple battery switch in parallel with the DCDC would enable you to bypass the DCDC when desired.  The downside of that is a simple switch (vs including an ACR/Isolator) would mean it either system could drain the other.  

If you still have an isolator, you could wire the bypass to include the isolator, essentially going back to how your system worked before the DCDC was installed.

#35 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,081 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 31 January 2022 - 12:15 AM

Just to say … I wish I had your electric knowledge of these things
I am basically always on the line of confused and understanding… so great to read these threads picking up bits that build the bigger picture
Thanks Vic

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#36 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 578 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 31 January 2022 - 03:01 AM

I suppose the Victron is way too smart, I'll just wire it up as per Victron specs.

Edited by nikonron, 31 January 2022 - 08:21 AM.

#37 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 578 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 31 January 2022 - 08:19 AM

What's going to happen if I should connect a battery charger to the starter battery while the truck is sitting in my shop? Should I disconnect the Victron DC-DC charger via my resettable breaker?

#38 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 31 January 2022 - 05:57 PM

It won’t hurt anything, but the Orion may see the higher charging voltage as a running engine and attempt to charge the lithium battery, discharging your truck battery some until the charger catches it up. Another user discussed this a few months ago (Phil maybe?) and I think he decided to open his breaker when charging the truck battery.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#39 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 578 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 31 January 2022 - 07:21 PM

Well, if it doesn't hurt anything it'd be good to get the Lithium topped off too.

#40 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 31 January 2022 - 07:59 PM

Well, if it doesn't hurt anything it'd be good to get the Lithium topped off too.

Except if you are charging the truck during extended storage. Most battery companies recommend you store lithium batteries in a partially charged state. In that case you may want to disconnect the camper if you are charging the truck.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users