5 replies to this topic

#1 Souperduper

Souperduper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 13 November 2021 - 02:18 AM

Hi all. First post. Need help, guidance, direction, opinions. And yes I know all of the following is ultimately my doing, just looking for productive input. So...

I have a 2021, Four Wheel Pop Up Camper, Fleet model. Has been cared for extremely well and has gotten a ton of use and I plan to keep it in top shape for all my future journeys. It's sided with black, flat aluminum panels.

Well, I messed up. The siding got into a fight with the end of a thick tree branch. A fight I should've prevented. Now there's about a 4' long, by upto a 1/8" deep crease in the left side panel. Thankfully no leaks, gaps, holes or rips.

I want to get it back in top shape. Not sure but to repair it, my research says that if possible, the cheapest route to restore it, is to find someone who has the skills to finesse with glue pull dent removal, which I have yet to find (seems like a money maker if someone wants to start that business for campers). Or I can find the material and do it myself (have no idea where to look for the exact material (flat aluminum in black, silver striping, etc) but if I found it, I'm, and I say this humbly, extremely capable). Or I need to do complete panel replacement. FWC wants $1,200 to replace. Unfortunately, aside from the big bucks, that will require that I drive from So Cal to their Nor Cal HQ (their So Cal office won't do it). Repair will take 3 days not including drive time. And I'm on a waiting list that is a few months long. I'll do it if need be but was hoping there was another way... See photos in link below. Please advise. Thx.

https://photos.app.g...XfUKNusfzQ2DbE8

Edited by Souperduper, 13 November 2021 - 02:24 AM.

#2 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 14 November 2021 - 01:00 AM

If you can't get it pulled out, buff it and let it be. My 2¢. Been there. Adds character.

Edited by longhorn1, 14 November 2021 - 01:02 AM.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#3 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 03:54 PM

Had my daughters hail damaged car repaired with the glue pull method but I doubt the glue pull method will be completely effective in this case as there are hard creases, get a good dent guy to est. it and ask if it will be 100% when finished. you will still need paint touched up too, which will add to the cost. If you want it to look perfect, the factory repair seems to be best option. I sucks but sometimes in life, you just have to bite the bullet. Compare the dent repair or the do it yourself cost against the factory repair, there might not be as big a difference as it seems. My 2 cents.      Live and learn, we've all been there.

Edited by Beach, 14 November 2021 - 08:36 PM.

#4 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 14 November 2021 - 05:41 PM

If possible paint over and consider it an honorable 'dueling scar'....I have a similar scrap on my awning metal cover thanks to getting too close to a rock overhang on White Rim Trail...always makes me smile when I see it...great memory of a great trip.

#5 camper rich

camper rich

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 11:14 PM

I backed my VW camper into a tree one time, $2700 damage.  I felt it was worth claiming on my insurance which paid all but the deductable.  If you have State Farm, the camper is considered part of the truck, so you may want to claim it if you go the FWC repair route.  

#6 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 19 November 2021 - 10:41 PM

If you can't get it pulled out, buff it and let it be. My 2¢. Been there. Adds character.

If possible paint over and consider it an honorable 'dueling scar'....I have a similar scrap on my awning metal cover thanks to getting too close to a rock overhang on White Rim Trail...always makes me smile when I see it...great memory of a great trip.

Yes. If it is not through the side, consider it normal wear and tear. That is my 2¢ as well.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users