2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#13 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 19 November 2021 - 03:23 PM

I have two 40 pounds and four 20 pound Suspa struts. I have no 30 pounds struts.

Full extended about 35 5/8" eye clip to eye clip and shaft that compresses into the housing is about 16" long.

Don't know your specifications to your number you have. The 40 pounders maybe too strong for you to get the top back down and 20 pounder are too soft as you are used to 30 pounders.

Thanks for looking. I'm going to call Marty - I definitely need more information. And then I need to get a broken screw out. And a new bracket - I should get a photo and post it. 

#14 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 19 November 2021 - 04:06 PM

IMG_0298.JPG

This is what the bracket looks like. I figure it took more than a little force to bend that thing. 

#15 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 19 November 2021 - 08:12 PM

attachicon.gifIMG_0298.JPG

This is what the bracket looks like. I figure it took more than a little force to bend that thing. 

My struts that I Installed myself are the #40 ones  #C16-15952.

I have no trouble with raising/lowering the roof.

It will be interesting to hear what caused the problem.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#16 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 20 November 2021 - 07:15 PM

My struts that I Installed myself are the #40 ones  #C16-15952.

I have no trouble with raising/lowering the roof.

It will be interesting to hear what caused the problem.

Frank

I don't think I'll ever know for certain what happened - if the outer screw came loose before or after the inner one sheared off. I wonder if it could have been something as simple as a Jeffrey Pine cone. I jumped when I heard one hit my camper the last time I was out. Free-fall - there was no sound of it crashing through the tree - but I studied biology, not physics so I could be way off base. I do know that we suffered enough damage from Sabiniana cones when we lived in the foothills that we would move the vehicles out from under the trees on a stormy night (and then the mice in the barn would wreak havoc) 

I didn't get to talk to Marty, I am not sure if I asked the right questions and some of them went unanswered. I am being sent a new bracket and then I guess I see what I can do from there. I tend to have panic attacks  when sharing busy highways with unpredictable drivers so a trip to Sacramento is not in the cards and I still don't know what kind of business I would go to for this kind of service. Maybe I just won't have a lift strut anymore. 

Edited by teledork, 21 November 2021 - 12:42 AM.

#17 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 20 November 2021 - 10:17 PM

I think you could use new screws and move the mount over a 1/2" maybe for fresh frame material.

The brackets aren't really that hard to install.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#18 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,591 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 20 November 2021 - 11:00 PM

I don't think I'll ever know for certain what happened - if the outer screw came loose before or after the inner one sheared off. I wonder if it could have been something as simple as a Jeffrey Pine cone. I jumped when I heard one hit my camper the last time I was out. Free-fall - there was no sound of it crashing through the tree - but I studied biology, not physics so I could be way off base. I do know that we suffered enough damage from Sabiniana cones when we lived in the foothills that we would moved the vehicles out from under the trees on a stormy night (and then the mice in the barn would wreak havoc) 

I didn't get to talk to Marty, I am not sure if I asked the right questions and some of them went unanswered. I am being sent a new bracket and then I guess I see what I can do from there. I tend to have panic attacks  when sharing busy highways with unpredictable drivers so a trip to Sacramento is not in the cards and I still don't know what kind of business I would go to for this kind of service. Maybe I just won't have a lift strut anymore. 

You’re going to be happier with the gas struts.  If it were me, I’d repair it.

If the screw is sticking out, a good pair of vice grips should get enough hold to back it out.  If it’s flush, I’d take it to a machine shop to (if possible) drill it and then use an easy out.  A heating/sheet metal shop might be another option.   The new screws may need to be one size larger.

I am haunted by waters

#19 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,966 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 21 November 2021 - 12:04 AM

I think you could use new screws and move the mount over a 1/2" maybe for fresh frame material.
Frank

+1. Just move it over a bit. You might need to move the other end too. 3m 4200 to seal any holes too

#20 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 21 November 2021 - 12:23 AM

Frank

That is what I was told and what I intend to do. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users