#1 Alvis

Alvis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 08 December 2021 - 07:22 PM

I am a big fan of Home Assistant - Home Assistant and use it to control my house.  Quick demo of some of the capabilities from HA webs - demo

It is a bit of a "rosetta stone" for home automation that allows you to mix and match all sorts of devices (zigbee, z-wave, wifi, 433Mhz,) from various vendors and have it all work seamlessly (no vendor lock-in).  It is open source free software that you can run on a spare PC or raspberry pi.  In my case I use a raspberry pi 4 with an SSD attached.  It is controllable there is likely someone who is using HA to control it.

At home I have:

• lights (control lights on off, dim, etc.)
  • switches (air filters, fans turn on/off)
  • sensors (temperature, humidity, presence, door open close, water leak detection, etc)
  • automations (arriving home at night, walk into room, garage door open, side gate open, etc.)
  • presence detection (turn on counter lights when entering kitchen, closet lights, etc)
  • reminders (you left the garage open, tomorrow is trash day, give dog medication, etc.)
  • voice integration (hey google turn on X light, fan, filter, etc)
  • voice notification (google devices say "hey dummy you left the garage open, or leak detected in attic water heater, etc.)
  • control volume of music playing through the house, see what is playing, etc.
  • control / monitor all the above while on the road (nabu casa)

All this is done with devices of all sorts (zigbee, z-wave, wifi, chrome cast, roku, google home) and from different vendors.  Most run completely "locally" with no requirement for cloud or internet connection, while some require an internet connection.  They have integrations for just about anything you can think off - integrations

Enough salesmanship, so I got to thinking about "Camper Assistant" and how it might be used in a camper so did some googling:

So I have a spare pi that I thought I might start doing some modest first steps:

• few sensors (temp, humidity, pressure) - zigbee sensor (no hub required with zigbee pie dongle)
  • door sensors - sensor
  • basic dash board to show graphs from sensors
  • basic automations - turn on small light when door opens, etc.
  • future potential (energy monitoring, leak detectors, GPS location tracking, OBD II vehicle data, battery powered cameras, puddle light on for night time bathroom break, etc.

You can go crazy with this stuff, some basics can be pretty handy and useful.  I need another project like I need a hole in my head, but thought I would post for those geeky enough to think about this.

Next step - get pi running off batteries and loaded with basic integrations for starter sensors.

2015 F150 Supercab 6.5 foot bed 2.7

2016 ATC Ocelot side dinette

http://alvisontheroad.blogspot.com/

#2 mobilelists

mobilelists

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 10 December 2021 - 03:45 AM

This is a great topic.  I found a similar one on another forum that I follow that might be of some help:

https://www.classbfo...tion-12805.html

Stay healthy

Edited by mobilelists, 10 December 2021 - 03:46 AM.

#3 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 14 December 2021 - 10:22 PM

'Sophistication breeds vulnerability'....what is really needed and not just wanted?  Keeping systems fundamental and simplistic seems to be the way to keep them rock solid reliable.  So much now is layered just because is can be and not that it is essential.  But that is just the way I perceive it and I am an old fart that still operates on the KISS principle...  B)   

#4 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,297 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 14 December 2021 - 11:53 PM

Yep,more layers more to go very wrong,and harder to fix.

KISS for sure.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#5 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 15 December 2021 - 12:43 AM

If automating your camper is fun, then go for it!   Our campers are toys and are entirely about 'wants' as opposed to 'needs' and we should play with them however we want. 

I enjoy tinkering with mine between camping trips, and while I haven't automated mine, I have added a bunch of electrical widgets and have two Arduino's running in the camper 24/7.   Again, it is about what keeps you entertained, not what anyone else thinks is necessary or practical.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#6 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 15 December 2021 - 04:11 AM

If automating your camper is fun, then go for it!   Our campers are toys and are entirely about 'wants' as opposed to 'needs' and we should play with them however we want. 

I enjoy tinkering with mine between camping trips, and while I haven't automated mine, I have added a bunch of electrical widgets and have two Arduino's running in the camper 24/7.   Again, it is about what keeps you entertained, not what anyone else thinks is necessary or practical.

True.

#7 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 15 December 2021 - 04:31 AM

If you have a FWC with an Isotherm Cruise fridge, it has a digital interface (LIN) that could be pretty useful for automation:

https://www.secop.co...dess100f202.pdf

You can read (and adjust) all sorts of parameters for the fridge. 

Victron also has great open source support for their ecosystem and support running their software on an RPi:

https://www.victrone...en_source:start

This is not something I have dug into, but seems this could be of interest.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users