• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#11 Occidental

Occidental

• Members
  • 366 posts
  • LocationHome is where you park it

Posted 11 December 2021 - 03:36 AM

The sand bog in Hidden Valley is awful. We last time we drove it was last December. There are hard invisible ruts hidden below the sand - more like silt. It is a messy bumpy ride. To make it worse. we watched (from camp) one long line of overlanders (10 vehicles) hit it hard at high speed and tore it up badly. The dust still hung in the air as it got dark, two hours later.

Interesting, the next night when we were overlooking Saline Valley we noticed a haze hanging over the valley.  I hypothesized that it was due to the dust kicked up by all those that were passing us up.  I don't think there's another plausible source of pollution, especially when the surrounding valleys were clear. 

We crossed paths with two "tricked out" overland vehicles on their way out of Hidden Valley the afternoon of Thanksgiving, and we couldn't even tell their paint color due to the dust coating them.  Fun?  

2020 Ford Ranger, 2012 Eagle

http://www.occidentalist.org

#12 Occidental

Occidental

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 11 December 2021 - 03:45 AM

We also had the idea of camping near Goldbelt Spring. That did not happen. Julie very much wants to hike the length of Marble Canyon from the top. The logistics of arranging vehicles/transportation is a daunting task.

Goldbelt has a great view, and lots of stuff to explore.  It also left me thinking of a thru hike, but I'm not sure which would be more time, a out and back or a thru hike, considering the time needed for driving.  Normally I'd lean to a thru hike, but the access is so poor, and so separated, it may not be the way to go, unless you have friends just willing to pick you up and don't want to also do the hike, which would require a shuttle that all would have to do.  I've now hiked it all, in two separate hikes, and I think a separate top and bottom trip, the way I've already done it, may be more preferable, if I ever got to do it again.  But that is assuming I'd have to drive to the mouth of Marble Canyon twice, once for a pick up, and another for a drop off.  

#13 Occidental

Occidental

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 11 December 2021 - 03:46 AM

Part 2 is now up: https://www.occident...ey-2021-part-2/

#14 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 11 December 2021 - 06:51 AM

Thanks for your report.  We've been on the backside of Hunter Mtn a few times, and have plans to return.

Hidden Valley sand daunted me the first time, but we had a bypass.  I've read there are petros nearby.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#15 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 11 December 2021 - 03:06 PM

“Let me just start by saying the Saline Valley road is long an rough. It seemed like we descended from Hunter Mountain for hours before we were on the valley floor. I do admit we were passed by many and we passed none, so maybe I’m just a slow poke. Or maybe everyone else is driving a rental?”

Slow poke? Nah, just preserving your fillings. Saline has a real mix of road conditions, although I think The Racetrack Rd has the worst washboard. Benton is a great way to finish your trip, thanks again for bringing us along!

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#16 Occidental

Occidental

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 11 December 2021 - 03:45 PM

Slow poke? Nah, just preserving your fillings. Saline has a real mix of road conditions, although I think The Racetrack Rd has the worst washboard. Benton is a great way to finish your trip, thanks again for bringing us along!

Yes I have to agree Racetrack road had the most impressive washboard I've ever been on.  I vowed to never return, I lost so many screws out of the cabinets of my old Eagle the time I visited.  Then again, never is a strong word....maybe?  That trip there were definitely rental jeeps from Furnace Creek that were passing me up at 2x my speed or better.  I got to wishing I rented one myself, but then I wouldn't have been able to spend the night near Lost Burro gap, which was a memorable camp.

#17 heinphoto

heinphoto

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area (East Bay)

Posted 11 December 2021 - 05:10 PM

We are headed there for a week in January, so your excellent posts are a nice preview!  We have visited Death Valley many times over the years, but this will be our first time in our camper, so we are excited.  I would love to get up to Hunter Mountain, but I suspect that snow and ice will be an issue by the time of our visit.  So, that may have to wait for another trip...

FWC Slide-in Grandby and OEV Aluma Tray on a Ford F350 Supercab with the 6.2L Gas Engine.

http://www.heinphoto.com/

IG: heinphoto

#18 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 11 December 2021 - 08:47 PM

We are headed there for a week in January, so your excellent posts are a nice preview!  We have visited Death Valley many times over the years, but this will be our first time in our camper, so we are excited.  I would love to get up to Hunter Mountain, but I suspect that snow and ice will be an issue by the time of our visit.  So, that may have to wait for another trip...

We're heading down next Saturday, weather and roads permitting.  We went over Hunter from South Pass last December and noticed deep mud ruts in sections.  Conditions were dry but there was ice at several locations.  Hopefully this year will be a wetter year everywhere.  

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#19 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 11 December 2021 - 09:36 PM

We're heading down next Saturday, weather and roads permitting.  We went over Hunter from South Pass last December and noticed deep mud ruts in sections.  Conditions were dry but there was ice at several locations.  Hopefully this year will be a wetter year everywhere.  

About half way down the switchbacks is a spring that can cover the road with ice in cold weather. It is a steep section and should not be forgotten.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#20 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 11 December 2021 - 09:59 PM

Goldbelt has a great view, and lots of stuff to explore.  It also left me thinking of a thru hike, but I'm not sure which would be more time, a out and back or a thru hike, considering the time needed for driving.  Normally I'd lean to a thru hike, but the access is so poor, and so separated, it may not be the way to go, unless you have friends just willing to pick you up and don't want to also do the hike, which would require a shuttle that all would have to do.  I've now hiked it all, in two separate hikes, and I think a separate top and bottom trip, the way I've already done it, may be more preferable, if I ever got to do it again.  But that is assuming I'd have to drive to the mouth of Marble Canyon twice, once for a pick up, and another for a drop off.  

Something we have done on other long hikes is exchange spare keys with another couple, and set up a shuttle.  One group hikes down, the other up.  You meet in the middle for a nice lunch together, then complete the hikes and drive the other's vehicle back to camp.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users