3 replies to this topic

#1 OutbacKamper

OutbacKamper

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKelowna, BC, Canada

Posted 08 January 2022 - 05:11 PM

Hi All;

I am considering my options for a backup camera on my 2003 F350 (+ Hawk 4Wheel camper and hitch mounted cargo box). I would like something that would work both with or without the camper/hitch box and even with the tailgate installed.

I read a recent thread started by Cpt Daveport here: https://www.wanderth...ing-backup-cam/ but this appears to be mainly aimed at replacing a tailgate camera on an OEM system. In my case my, '03 truck is too old to have an oem backup camera.

I am considering a rechargeable wifi camera and using my existing iPhone and/or iPad. I really like this 100% wireless concept, but unfortunately it seems the only options are non-namebrand made in China cameras of questionalbe quality. I would really appreciate any feedback or advice regarding the use of these wifi cameras. Thanks!

Here is an example of the type of camera I am considering (it has an internal rechargable battery, built in WiFi transmitter and magnetic attachment):

872598c1-edce-4b22-823a-14b01dec9462.__C

eddcd4bc-8a82-49c4-9aa8-75a50c7b54cc.__C Great Night Vision 

9 Automatic Infra-Red Night Vision Lights = 30ft. of vision in the darkest night, which doesn't need any ambient light. 

• No Wiring, Plug & Play system is ready to use in under one minute. Setup includes just two steps; mounting the camera magnetically to any metal surface and connecting it to a mobile device via WiFi. 
Specification 

Camera Specs

• Camera High Quality: CMOS Sensor
  • Waterproof: IP68
  • Viewing Angle: 150°
  • Infra-Red Distance: 30ft(9 Infra-Reds)
  • Operating Temperature: -20°C ~ +70°

Battery Specs

• Battery Capacity: 2200 mAh 
  • Recharge Time: About 6h 
  • Recharge Voltage: 5V

• Package Includes 
  • 1 x Color Waterproof Hitch WiFi Backup Camera with Magnetic Base and Infra-Red Night Vision 
  • 1x USB Power Cable for Rechargeable Battery 
  • 1x Instruction

Edited by OutbacKamper, 08 January 2022 - 05:17 PM.

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,318 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 08 January 2022 - 05:45 PM

I have a 2003 Ford Ranger. I replaced the dash mounted radio with a Pioneer head unit with touch lcd screen. This not only allowed for a hard wired backup camera - I went with a license frame rear mounted camera - but also provided hands free bluetooth connection for cell phone.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 08 January 2022 - 06:52 PM

I like the Autovox line of backup camera/dash cam mirror replacements. With the camper mounted, the stock mirror is useless anyway, so replacing it with a dash cam/backup cam has been a great solution for my last two rigs.

#4 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 08 January 2022 - 09:40 PM

One caveat on a camera with the LED lights to illuminate the area the camera sees.  Do not mount the camera inside and look out the rear door window unless you can disable the LEDs. I tried  that with a backup camera I got and the LEDs reflected off the inside surface of the rear window to the extent that all I saw was the reflections of the LEDs. Your eyes cannot see the IR but the camera sure can. 

I wanted the camera inside where it would stay clean and not be an easy target for vandals or thieves.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: backup, back up, camera, wifi, wireless

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users