Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

FWC Electrical basics and upgrading to lithium!

lithium camper electrical batteries charging

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#71 Gumbus

Gumbus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 03:32 PM

Hey Carlos, I called SOK tech yesterday and they were of the opinion that our IOTA was not compatible for many varied reasons including improper cell balancing. As I do more research seems if I remove the IOTA I will lose the AC to DC connection to the rest of the electrical system while on shore power as the IOTA serves as a DC load device. Not a very big deal except for those occasions I want to pre-cool the Isotherm Fridge before a trip and don't want or can't use the battery (say a very cloudy day or the camper is stored in the garage before loading. Though I suppose I could just plug the Fridge into an extension cord directly on that rare occasion. This brings up another question, (I am entering the rabbit hole) my Isotherm 85L has a 120v plug to an outlet in the cabinet next to the unit. Does this mean it will charge via 120v if the IOTA is removed? Also Can the Isotherm 85L do the 120v vs 12V switching automatically?

I rarely us novice and electricity in the same sentence.

Edited by Gumbus, 03 December 2022 - 04:44 PM.

#72 BerkeleyCarlos

BerkeleyCarlos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 04:53 PM

@gumbus the Iota is not ideal for these planned upgrades. I wonder what 4WheelCampers does when they sell the upgraded LifePO4 package? Funny thing the older Iotas needed a different module for charging AGM,LifePo4 and FLA. I think if you had the older one, with the right add on it would work.

I’d also not mind eliminating the Iota, but to your point there would be some loss of functionality.

I think the fridge automatically switches it’s power intake , but I would want to know for sure from the manufacturer.

#73 Gumbus

Gumbus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 05:14 PM

I can't remember what FWC video I watch on this matter but a reference was made that the LiFe upgrade eliminated the IOTA but they did not mention what charger they substituted.

Carlos - just a thought, the direction I am going is 1x SOK 100ah battery which is 10.6" L / 7.9" W / 9.1" H . I have 340W solar on top, see how it goes for a while and if needed I can add another SOK 100ah. The cabinet is 22" wide so in theory I should be able to make the addition without any dimensional modification to the cabinet and save myself $600.

Edited by Gumbus, 03 December 2022 - 05:21 PM.

#74 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 929 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 03 December 2022 - 06:42 PM

Also Can the Isotherm 85L do the 120v vs 12V switching automatically?
I rarely us novice and electricity in the same sentence.

I have the Isotherm 130L 2 way fridge in my 2021 Grandby. If 120vac is connected to the camper and both the main and fridge 120vac breakers are on, the fridge will run from the 120vac regardless of the availability of 12 volt power. If it is operating on 12vdc at the time 120vac becomes available, it will automatically switch over to 120vac. I just verified all this by test.

You can leave the 120vac breaker for the converter turned off if you don’t want the Iota to operate while the 120Vac is connected. You can also turn that breaker on but turn off the silver battery switch and the Iota will then function as a 12 vdc power supply without charging or discharging the camper battery.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#75 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,964 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 03 December 2022 - 10:14 PM

@gumbus the Iota is not ideal for these planned upgrades. I wonder what 4WheelCampers does when they sell the upgraded LifePO4 package? Funny thing the older Iotas needed a different module for charging AGM,LifePo4 and FLA. I think if you had the older one, with the right add on it would work.

I’d also not mind eliminating the Iota, but to your point there would be some loss of functionality.

I think the fridge automatically switches it’s power intake , but I would want to know for sure from the manufacturer.

Correct, with the older Iota chargers they had provision for a dongle to be switched out depending on the battery chemistry

#76 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,964 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 10:18 PM

I can't remember what FWC video I watch on this matter but a reference was made that the LiFe upgrade eliminated the IOTA but they did not mention what charger they substituted.

I use Victron gear throughout, so Orion DCDC, 100V/30A MPPT and IP67 AC/DC chargers.  No iota in my system at all.  Mind you, I also have no shore power that goes to any AC outlets.  My AC port on the outside of the camper goes direct to the IP67 ACDC charger and I run everything off of DC.  Makes sense for me as we almost never plug in while camping.

#77 BerkeleyCarlos

BerkeleyCarlos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 December 2022 - 11:06 PM

Gumbus, I would be better off with the 100ah SOK since I am still running the stock 92ah boat anchor of an AGM. But….the 206ah is calling my name. I am 99% sure it will fit.

#78 BerkeleyCarlos

BerkeleyCarlos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 December 2022 - 12:25 PM

I am mulling this as a replacement for the Iota:

https://www.bestconv...ml#.Y43igC-IahB

I need to see how much room is available in that area.

#79 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,964 posts

Posted 05 December 2022 - 06:06 PM

I am mulling this as a replacement for the Iota:

https://www.bestconv...ml#.Y43igC-IahB

I need to see how much room is available in that area.

I note that the voltages are NOT adjustable on that unit.  They use 14.6 for charging, for example.  Better and future proof would be a unit with adjustable voltages

#80 BerkeleyCarlos

BerkeleyCarlos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 December 2022 - 08:37 PM

I was thinking about that . The only voltage I see listed is 14.6, nothing else . Don’t LifePo4’s want 13.8 at some point ?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lithium, camper, electrical, batteries, charging

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users