• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DarinH

DarinH

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 118 posts
  • Locationwestern Colorado

Posted 21 January 2022 - 03:12 AM

Does anyone here with a Guanella have the extended cabover with the north-south bed configuration? I’m curious if the ladder to get up on the bed is in the way when your down on the main level?

#2 michelle_east_county

michelle_east_county

Advanced Member

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 09:02 AM

I don't know about ladders on other models but the Ute we recently took delivery on had no ladder for N-S bunk and I don't think one is needed for most people if you're able to get in and out of a pickup. It's just a couple big steps from floor to battery and solar controller box to edge of counter to bunk, and grabbing onto lift mechanism on side for balance. A ladder might fit if needed and, if in the way, could be tossed onto the bed during day. Stowage during travel might be lashed in on floor or placed in truck behind front seats. It could not be placed in bunk on mattress because Matt Ward of Hallmark said not to used lowered roof like a trash compactor for excess bedding.

#3 DarinH

DarinH

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 February 2022 - 07:57 AM

I don't know about ladders on other models but the Ute we recently took delivery on had no ladder for N-S bunk and I don't think one is needed for most people if you're able to get in and out of a pickup. It's just a couple big steps from floor to battery and solar controller box to edge of counter to bunk, and grabbing onto lift mechanism on side for balance. A ladder might fit if needed and, if in the way, could be tossed onto the bed during day. Stowage during travel might be lashed in on floor or placed in truck behind front seats. It could not be placed in bunk on mattress because Matt Ward of Hallmark said not to used lowered roof like a trash compactor for excess bedding.

Do you use the slide-out bed extension on yours? At 6’2” I dont think I can sleep comfortably on a 74” bed without the bed extension, but I’m worried it would be in the way when I’m not in bed.

#4 michelle_east_county

michelle_east_county

Advanced Member

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 03:02 AM

Do you use the slide-out bed extension on yours? At 6’2” I dont think I can sleep comfortably on a 74” bed without the bed extension, but I’m worried it would be in the way when I’m not in bed.

No, but we’re 5’10” and 5’7”. However, remember that one rarely stretches out fully straight and you can always hang your feet out over the end as I sometimes like to do.

Edited by michelle_east_county, 10 February 2022 - 03:04 AM.

#5 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 13 March 2022 - 12:24 AM

Does anyone here with a Guanella have the extended cabover with the north-south bed configuration? I’m curious if the ladder to get up on the bed is in the way when your down on the main level?

We have a Guanella with N-S bed. I'm 6'1" and it is comfortable. No ladder provided. Accessing the bed can be awkward using the battery case or counter. It's a long drop on slippery surfaces which can be misjudged in the dark when sleepy. I added a small portable step in the aisle which does not get in the way, plus a 2" thick exercise pad on top of the battery case which fits perfectly; together they make going up or down much easier. 

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 CTD, Crew Cab, 8' box, Hallmark Guanella 

#6 DarinH

DarinH

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 118 posts

Posted 17 March 2022 - 01:27 AM

We have a Guanella with N-S bed. I'm 6'1" and it is comfortable. No ladder provided. Accessing the bed can be awkward using the battery case or counter. It's a long drop on slippery surfaces which can be misjudged in the dark when sleepy. I added a small portable step in the aisle which does not get in the way, plus a 2" thick exercise pad on top of the battery case which fits perfectly; together they make going up or down much easier.

Thanks for the info. Do you have the slide-out bed extension at the end of your bed or do you fit on the mattress without it?

#7 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 27 March 2022 - 04:33 PM

Thanks for the info. Do you have the slide-out bed extension at the end of your bed or do you fit on the mattress without it?

No extension. Long enough because of the vertical-wall top where my head is.

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 CTD, Crew Cab, 8' box, Hallmark Guanella 

#8 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 24 April 2022 - 06:08 PM

Same with me on my Everest. No ladder and plenty long enough but I am shorter than you.

Edited by smlobx, 24 April 2022 - 06:08 PM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#9 Tess

Tess

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 February 2024 - 10:02 PM

I have a Guanella overland with the N/S bed. I’m 75 and get into and out of the bed with no ladder or other aids. Just the counter top and the battery box.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users