• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 fuzzymarindave

fuzzymarindave

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationMarin County, CA

Posted 16 February 2022 - 08:35 PM

What are the pros/cons. Not so much on this forum but other forums seem to have lot of the SUVs and Jeeps with trash bags hanging off the back. I try, try to generate as little trash as possible but usually bag it and store inside camper until I find a legit trash receptacle. When camping do those folks worry about little critters being attracted to trash outside?

2015 Hawk, Silver Spur Interior, Fiberglass siding.  2008 F250 4x4 Supercab

#2 PJorgen

PJorgen

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 16 February 2022 - 09:02 PM

I agree with Dave, don’t understand the benefits of a Trasharoo. I also try to generate as little trash as possible and separate out the recyclables as well. I use plastic grocery bags for trash, usually from shopping trips while on the road. 

2014 Hawk, Silver Spur exterior on a 2012 GMC 2500HD 4x4.

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 16 February 2022 - 10:10 PM

We agree with the above two posts. No need for another item to tote along with us.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 16 February 2022 - 10:25 PM

Yup, I don’t get it either.  I seem to have more than my share of junk to drag around.

I am haunted by waters

#5 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 16 February 2022 - 10:40 PM

I camp a lot where there are bears.  No trasharoo for me!

#6 CraggyMan

CraggyMan

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationBend OR

Posted 16 February 2022 - 10:53 PM

Never thought the idea of having it hang around outside would be very workable. We try and keep our trash pretty compact and on trips where garbage service is few and far between I've been bringing along a dry bag to put our small trash bags into and stuffing that in our turnbuckle area till we reach a place to dump. Seals up well and hasn't been a issue with small critters, yet.

2016 Four Wheel - Fleet, 2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD - https://www.flickr.c...sertdustimages/

#7 WanderingBison

WanderingBison

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 12:30 AM

I LOVE my “thrasharoo” which is really a large Blue Ridge Overland tire bag and will echo the same concerns about being in bear country, etc.

But I’ve also found myself in the backcountry for a week or longer where I’m not in bear country and my “thrasharoo” was a great place to keep a bag of garbage and an even larger bag of recycling that I couldn’t dispose of properly.

But it’s not without its risks … I was woken up by a juvenile wolverine that I had to chase out of my tire bag because he had taken a linking to some of the recycling.

My tire bag is used most often to carry firewood - save me bringing firewood bags into the cab or habitat.

#8 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 17 February 2022 - 12:33 AM

Try to minimize trash, we do have a trasaroo, mostly for coastal areas and the desert for recyclables. Don't like to smell the beer/wine soup after a few days.

Trash goes into (usually) grocery bags, then these into a contractor bag. 

I would say i use our t-roo about half of our trips.

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

#9 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 17 February 2022 - 02:13 AM

I use on on my Jeep but I haven't figured out a good way to use one on the camper yet. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#10 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 17 February 2022 - 03:05 AM

Use ours all the time.

Makes it nice when we end up picking up other 

campers crap in areas we use.

Les,lqhikers

0 user(s) are reading this topic