• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:36 PM

Hello Everyone,

I have been searching for two years for an FWC to fit my truck within a reasonable used budget of 4-5k and am getting a little discourage with the search, the no call backs, the taking my camper shell off the truck and loading my tools only to get a call back saying his neighbor just bought it. In my searches I have come across a few Phoenix campers and just found another one recently. They seem very similar to an FWC, aluminum framed and lightweight. They seem not as low profile and slightly heavier but similar. Their website is terrible though so I can't get much info on them. Does anyone know anything about these, pros, cons, reliability, longevity, putting up with a beating off road etc....

Any info would help,

Thanks

Rich
Rich 2007 Toyota Tundra Limited with 1989 FWC/ATC Fleet Hybrid fully refurbished

#2 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:19 AM

They're a little more than a little heavier, and a little more than a little wider, and none of us have one.
"I WANT TO DIE IN MY SLEEP LIKE MY GRANDFATHER, NOT SCREAMING IN TERROR LIKE THE REST OF THE PEOPLE IN HIS CAR''

#3 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 01:18 AM

Search the forums here and on Expedition Portal as there has been some discussion about them. If memory serves me right, they use composites in construction that folks were concerned about. You might also think about an ATC or FWC shell (new) that you could dress out to your taste.

2006 Tacoma, '66 AS Caravel,  2002 Eagle

#4 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 10 August 2009 - 01:27 AM

I thought this was interesting from the Phoenix website:

Our Family started Four Wheel Campers here in Colorado in the early 70's and ran it until the late 80's. Then, to diversify the family business, My Father started a new venture, building Tiger Motor Homes. Tiger Motor Homes took off like wildfire, and both companies thrived, but managing both companies he felt was not in the best interest of either company. Since the product had become a relatively “one size fits all” assembly line item, the name Four Wheel Campers was sold in the late 80's and that company has since moved out of state and change hands several times. Phoenix pop up Campers were launched into production in 1988 using several of the solid fundamental design concepts we developed in the vintage FWC but with several marked improvements, such as custom built to order sizes and options. In 2007 we expanded our product offerings by completely revolutionized truck camper design with the first fully interactive custom ordering process, and in doing so, renamed the header corporation, Coyote RV. We are the exclusive manufacture of the Phoenix series campers and many other custom built to order camper models.

However the rest of the site is almost completely useless in giving any actual camper info. Anyone know hoe much they weigh in at?

#5 Alaskan Snowbirds

Alaskan Snowbirds

• Members
  • 263 posts
  • LocationJuneau, Alaska

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:38 AM

Rich,

soreyes posted some pics and a little info here: http://www.wanderthe...t__110</strong>

EDIT: The above links to page 12 of "other types of campers"...soreyes Phoenix post is #119 near the bottom of the page.

He listed the dry weight of the one he put on his Nissan at 1200#

Good luck,
'birds
Duane & Susan 2007 Dodge 2500 4X4 Hemi - 2008 FWC Grandby

#6 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:21 PM

Rich,

soreyes posted some pics and a little info here: http://www.wanderthe...t__110</strong>

EDIT: The above links to page 12 of "other types of campers"...soreyes Phoenix post is #119 near the bottom of the page.

He listed the dry weight of the one he put on his Nissan at 1200#

Good luck,
'birds

Thanks for the link Birds, I checked that out and PM'd Soreyes to see if he has liked his phoenix. The hunt continues. I have a trip planned to go out to the Devil's postpile with my Dad in a month, I'm hoping I can secure a camper by then or the old man gets to sleep on a paco pad in the back of my T-100 for the weekend :-)
Rich 2007 Toyota Tundra Limited with 1989 FWC/ATC Fleet Hybrid fully refurbished

#7 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:28 PM

I thought this was interesting from the Phoenix website:

However the rest of the site is almost completely useless in giving any actual camper info. Anyone know hoe much they weigh in at?

Hi Dirty Dog,

I thought that was interesting too about the shared lineage with FWC. The website is completely useless, in fact, one of the worst I've ever seen. However, I have been able to garner some information from Phoenix owner's and it has shed some light on why there are no specs or standard floor plans on the website. Each one of these units is custom made for the truck and to the floor plan specs of the owner, it's part of their process when you buy new. That being said, you have to be even more careful with fit on these campers. The one I am looking at was custom built for a Tacoma, but should, with a sheet or two of plywood under it, fit my T-100 decently. The dry weight varies as well due to the size and floor plan customization. The one that Soreyes got is bigger than the one I'm looking at and weighs in dry at 1200 lbs. The one I'm looking at tomorrow weighs in dry at 1,000 lbs. I've been trying to get my hands on an '01 or newer Grandby for my T-100 which weighs in at 795lbs. So it will be 205 lbs heavier so I guess I'll just have to carry one less person in the cab then :-) It has a really nice under bed storage unit that holds a lot though which is a feature I'm willing to sacrifice some weight for since I will be doing dirt and some washboard roads but am unlikely to do any serious four wheeling with the camper on. We'll see how it goes. Ultimately I'd rather find an affordable Grandby or Hawk but that is proving to be quite challenging.

The search continues,

Rich

#8 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:30 PM

They're a little more than a little heavier, and a little more than a little wider, and none of us have one.

The unit I'm looking at weighs in at 205 lbs heavier than a Grandby but is not wider it's the width of an eagle or at least that's what it looks like sitting on the Tacoma in the pictures. In fact, that may be a factor in me not buying it because it may be to thin for my taste. I prefer the 80' width of the Hawk's and Grandby's to the skinnier eagles.

#9 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 10 August 2009 - 03:10 PM

Hello Everyone,

I have been searching for two years for an FWC to fit my truck within a reasonable used budget of 4-5k and am getting a little discourage with the search, the no call backs, the taking my camper shell off the truck and loading my tools only to get a call back saying his neighbor just bought it. In my searches I have come across a few Phoenix campers and just found another one recently. They seem very similar to an FWC, aluminum framed and lightweight. They seem not as low profile and slightly heavier but similar. Their website is terrible though so I can't get much info on them. Does anyone know anything about these, pros, cons, reliability, longevity, putting up with a beating off road etc....

Any info would help,

Thanks

Rich

There's a reason you see so many Phoenix campers a very few FWC/ATC's
What kind of truck are you putting it on?

I've bought 3 FWC's and never waited more than 2 or 3 months to find one that suits my needs and fits whatever truck I happen to own at the time. IMHO the secret is have a reasonable budget based on the going prices ($12,000 too high $2000 too low)you see listed although you can get lucky. And then pull the trigger. These things dont last. You have to be diligent and search all the adds every day. Or buy a Phoenix, Hallmark, Palomino, Northstar, Outfitter etc.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#10 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:15 PM

I drove from California to the Phoenix factory in Colorado just to see them. After touring the factory and talking with the owner I bought a FWC. I'm not going to say bad things about them, just that I was not impressed. This was over four years ago so things may have changed. Like you, I searched for over a year for the right used one. I was always a day late and a dollar short. So I just bit the bullet and bought a new one. Like others have said, have the cash ready and move fast. I'm sure you'll find what you are looking for. Oh yes, when you get your camper pics would be nice.

Cheers,

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users