1972 CO New Owner - Leveling

Go for Broke

Being new to AC and truck camping in general, I understand there is an undertaking known as "leveling".

QUESTION - What is a reasonable height to plan to level too? One inch? One foot? One corner or two?

With sticks and stone available, plus a plethora of intelligently design devices, it can be done. But being anal retentive, I have to plan ahead.

The task seems easy enough; find a level spot and then shim up one or more corners until a bubble level indicates done.

I do not plan to camp in a Good Sam's, WalMart or street stealth, rather I plan on boon docking, so levering is bound to come up (no pun intended)(double no pun with AC considered).

Your thoughts, solution and pictures of course, would be appreciated. DIY is cool.

Thank you,

SKI3PIN

You and BILLHARR are on target with that TRUMA app. I'm going to download and maybe even use it too, old school you know.

VIC

Thanks for the source of the bubble level. I don't know what my AC comes with until I get hold of it. A 72 is likely going to need some work.

Any words of advice on the physical tire blocks?

tire blocks? Depends on where you are camping. Are rocks available? Do you carry a shovel and digging is permitted where you camp? Then leveling can be done using natural materials. I carry a bag of those yellow Camco leveling (Lego blocks basically) blocks. Others carry sections of 2x8" boards.

We are with Vic on rocks and shovel work. We also carry 6 short sections of 2x6 lumber with tapered cuts on one end. Julie loves using the Truma app, it's her new first camp set up chore. She usually sidesteps anything "techie" but she's sure taken to this.

We have a place near the gear shifter that is 'level' to the truck. So I have one of these, which has worked very well for some years now: https://www.amazon.com/FOTYRIG-Standard-Olympus-Digital-Cameras/dp/B06WVL6YQN/ref=asc_df_B06WVL6YQN/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312106635483&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13700173003784045756&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9061079&hvtargid=pla-568581352546&psc=1
You can easily get more high tech, expensive, fiddly solutions. But we have not seen the need.

I just eyeball it. If it looks flat enough, then it is. For hardware I carry some 2x4's that are cut short enough to fit into my propane tank box. Use them alone for a 1.5" level change, stack them for a 3" change. Hasn't been a problem finding sites where 3" change is enough.

AWG_Pics said:
We have a place near the gear shifter that is 'level' to the truck. So I have one of these, which has worked very well for some years now: https://www.amazon.com/FOTYRIG-Standard-Olympus-Digital-Cameras/dp/B06WVL6YQN/ref=asc_df_B06WVL6YQN/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312106635483&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13700173003784045756&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9061079&hvtargid=pla-568581352546&psc=1
You can easily get more high tech, expensive, fiddly solutions. But we have not seen the need.
Oh, that level cube is the coolest thing ever.

Copy, the shovel thing. But its amazing how many people don't back fill when leaving (or cover their cat holes).

I like the simple lumber approach best. A lot of that laying around local construction sites.

AWG_Pics said:
. . . You can easily get more high tech, expensive, fiddly solutions. But we have not seen the need.
Both the iPhone and Truma apps are free and simple to use.
If you already have a cell phone can't get any cheaper than free.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
The iPhone compass app has a level function.
Level is now in the 'Measure' app on new iPhones.

Dr.Science said:
Hasn't been a problem finding sites where 3" change is enough.
I would have missed some great boondocking sites if 3" was my limit.

Back
Top Bottom