Tioga Pass

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bat

Bat

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 02:14 AM

Thinking about going to Yosemite and out to Lee Vining and bishop area. I was looking for info on when they close the pass to traffic.

#2 BSS

BSS

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationState of Jefferson

Posted 16 August 2009 - 04:50 PM

It'll close whenever the first "real" snow hits (It snows pretty much 12 months a year in the high country,) but last year was 10/30. It opened again a week or two later for a few days, but then was closed again for the winter.

#3 David_h

David_h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 05:06 PM

Thinking about going to Yosemite and out to Lee Vining and bishop area. I was looking for info on when they close the pass to traffic.

I think the National Park Service does not plow snow on Hwy 120, so NPS might close it with first snowfall. If the snow melts then they might reopen. Caltrans will probably do there share to keep the rest of the highway open until winter begins, but the high elevation portions are in the Nat'l Park, and hopefully the Caltrans/CHP road conditions reflect the NPS closures. I might be going over Tioga Pass on Tuesday morning unless I deter to S. Lake Tahoe to pick up my stove that I forgot in the bear box at a campground. Then I am on to Bishop and Coyote Flat area which is a high elevation plateau above 10,000 foot elev.
Dave H
06 Hawk
David H 2005 Hawk 2008 F250 SuperCab 4x4 Mill Valley, CA

#4 realbtl

realbtl

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationBigfork Montana

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:55 PM

FWIW, when I lived in NoCal I always preferred Sonora Pass to Tioga. Maybe a bit less dramatic but still beautiful and much less traffic. It does close for winter, not sure when.
1963 VW Sunroof, 1996 Corvette Convertible (summer) 2004 Ranger, 2008 Subie Legacy GT (snow) 1997 F250 now known as The Big Green Beast Cougar shell picked up 8-28-09, mods begun

#5 bsharp007

bsharp007

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 27 August 2009 - 05:53 PM

As others have said they close when the first big snow sticks. I spent 2 weeks in that same area in July. Enjoyed camping at Saddlebag lake good fishing in the lake and a short hike from the lake is "20 lakes basin" with excellent fishing and scenery. Be sure and eat at the Whoa Nellie deli in Lee Vining, easily the best restaurant in Lee Vining.

Will,  2019 Ford F150 with a 2022 Hawk

#6 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 06 November 2009 - 08:55 PM

last year the passes were open almost through the end of nov.try ebbetts pass on hwy.4 nice scenery and camping at mosquito lake most of the other campgrounds close early.some camp spots along the e.carson river.nice this time of the year. frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users