• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 realbtl

realbtl

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationBigfork Montana

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:08 AM

My wife, 64 and with a knee replacement, has a terrible time getting into my 97 F250. I now have the choice of getting punched out for laughing or putting out a step, then storing it somewhere and getting in the truck myself (more trouble but less painful). Does anyone know of a retractable step that can be pulled up from the inside of the cab? I've considered hoop steps but don't want anything that hangs down that far. Thanks in advance.
1963 VW Sunroof, 1996 Corvette Convertible (summer) 2004 Ranger, 2008 Subie Legacy GT (snow) 1997 F250 now known as The Big Green Beast Cougar shell picked up 8-28-09, mods begun

#2 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:18 AM

My wife, 64 and with a knee replacement, has a terrible time getting into my 97 F250. I now have the choice of getting punched out for laughing or putting out a step, then storing it somewhere and getting in the truck myself (more trouble but less painful). Does anyone know of a retractable step that can be pulled up from the inside of the cab? I've considered hoop steps but don't want anything that hangs down that far. Thanks in advance.

Look at retractable running boards....they're folded up under the truck till you open the door, then power down... See: http://www.ultimatea.../Power_Step.htm

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#3 Puffins

Puffins

• Members
  • 185 posts
  • LocationJackson County OR

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:24 AM

Don't think these are what you're looking for but...

I've got these: http://www.amp-resea...s/powerstep.asp

#&%@$ expensive but really nice. They came with my truck when I bought it used. Same as the Bestops

Can't tell they are there when up so you you don't get picked on like DD.
Mike Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket? (Had 95 Hawk on a)06 Chevy 2500HD Crew Duramax 02 Nash 19B State of Jefferson Refugee

#4 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:35 AM

Wow Amp Research - I haven't heard that name in a very long time. They were early innovators in mountain bike suspension but they don't make bikes anymore.

#5 RonSchon

RonSchon

Bailmatic

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:44 PM

Don't think these are what you're looking for but...

I've got these: http://www.amp-resea...s/powerstep.asp

#&%@$ expensive but really nice. They came with my truck when I bought it used. Same as the Bestops

Can't tell they are there when up so you you don't get picked on like DD.

I had the opportunity to see/use Mike's boards - these things are the real deal... It will make you need to analyze the value of not getting punched out though - about $3k. I say they are worth it if:

1) You plan on keeping the truck a long time
2) You don't live in a place with a heavy snowfall
The Trial of Miles... Miles of Trials.
2004 Dodge 2500 Crew Short Gas
1995 FWC Hawk
2005 Toy Tun Access Cab 4x2

#6 realbtl

realbtl

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:44 AM

Thanks all for the info. Deltarat/Puffins - Unfortunately the 97-98 F250 was apparently a transitional build and neither of your suggestions is available for it. I've noticed this for a couple of aftermarket doodads. Also though we don't get Sierra-type snow dumps here in MT it has been known to get deep at times. I think I may end up with a hoop for her and figure out a simple way to remove. Either that or I'll stay my chivalrous self and keep putting the step down for her. Build up some "good husband" points for my next toy purchase.
1963 VW Sunroof, 1996 Corvette Convertible (summer) 2004 Ranger, 2008 Subie Legacy GT (snow) 1997 F250 now known as The Big Green Beast Cougar shell picked up 8-28-09, mods begun

#7 CJinCA

CJinCA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 04:53 AM

Not sure what your currently using, but how about one of these...

Posted Image

from

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-
steps/folding-step-stools.htm

Cheap & easy for you to deploy for the lady. Folds up flat for storage. Works for both entering the camper and the the truck

#8 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:00 AM

Not sure what your currently using, but how about one of these...

Posted Image

from

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-
steps/folding-step-stools.htm

Cheap & easy for you to deploy for the lady. Folds up flat for storage. Works for both entering the camper and the the truck

And it wont crap out on you when you've been on a dirt or muddy road.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#9 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 19 August 2009 - 12:51 PM

Thanks all for the info. Deltarat/Puffins - Unfortunately the 97-98 F250 was apparently a transitional build and neither of your suggestions is available for it. I've noticed this for a couple of aftermarket doodads. Also though we don't get Sierra-type snow dumps here in MT it has been known to get deep at times. I think I may end up with a hoop for her and figure out a simple way to remove. Either that or I'll stay my chivalrous self and keep putting the step down for her. Build up some "good husband" points for my next toy purchase.

buddy,

There *must* be fabricators up there somewhere, and they probably need cash. Why not get someone to adapt what is available on the market for your new old forestry truck?

pal

#10 realbtl

realbtl

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:18 PM

Mark- I may do that down the road. Winter up here is a good time for planning/design work.

CJinCA- That loks perfect, much better than my cheapo KMart single step and looks like it will be the right height for the camper. Like I said I'm saving up points to get one of these sometime in the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users