• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#41 davinski

davinski

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:26 PM

Mark:

when I first drove to see Mt St. Helens, I was amazed at the power of mother nature. This was a good 20 years after the intial blast. Could not Imagine what it was like just after the explosion. I can understand how you feel. Very humbling in my opinion. I do like going back, the landscape is just so different. Also, I find backpacking here just grand. At least without a lot of trees you will have some grand vistas when the clouds are away.

You'll have to come to WA to visit some of the other grand vistas.

Wait til you get to Oregon!

Dave in Seattle

#42 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 October 2009 - 06:51 PM

Zonker's House

We were hoping to meet up with Zonker and his wife, Beth, on 04 August. Our plan was to hit a local supermarket for fixin's and reproduce the meal 'we' prepared at Rimrock Lake, except in the kitchen of Zonker and Beth.

Things started pretty well. We arrived at Zonker's house with supplies, were warmly greeted by Zonker and Beth, and had a good ol' time. Edna and Beth worked on the grub while Zonker and I worked on a couple of michiladas.

The alert reader might at this point begin to expect there to be an accompanying photograph of the festivities. Alas, I left my camera in the truck in deference to Zonker's expertise as a professional photographer, and Zonker (William) was, well, sick of standing behind a camera all day. So no pictures were taken! :blink:

The only thing we can show for ourselves is this sketch I made of William from memory after we got back home from the trip:

Posted Image

We slept soundly in Zonker's driveway, and the next morning I retrieved my camera to take shots of some of their Mercedes/Dodge/Fiat collection...

Posted Image

(At this point, you might expect Zonker to chime in with, "What?!? We don't know those people, and we never gave them permission to squat in our driveway! We weren't even in the country on 04 Aug!" Well, we'll see if he corroborates my story...)

Zonker spent quite a bit of time touring the country by motorcycle in his youth, so when we told him of our plans to hit Utah again on the way home, he tipped us off to a great drive. I wrote in my journal...

3-Aug
Hwy 12 Escalante
Golden Staircase
Boulder to Burr Trail
Capitol Reef NP

'Zion' --> Backside through tunnel...
Hwy 12 from Bryce to Boulder, UT...
take Burr trail to Capitol Reef.

-Zonker

None of this was making any sense to me, but thank God I wrote it down (as you will see later).

The next morning I made Edna breakfast in bed. I didn't realize that she was covertly photographing the whole thing. It's pretty clear that flipping eggs involves far more drama than making fajitas...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

It looks like the yolk's on me. :blink:

We finished our coffee while making plans for the day ahead.

Posted Image

Thanks for the great time, William and Beth! And thanks for the great advice on the road less traveled.

#43 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 October 2009 - 07:14 PM

Crater Lake

After leaving Zonker's house, we continued on our planned route to Crater Lake NP. Time heals all wounds, it is said. In this case, about eight thousand years of healing separates Mount St. Helens from Crater Lake.

The lake is 1,949 feet (594 m) deep at its deepest point which makes it the deepest lake in the United States... The impressive average depth of this volcanic lake is due to the nearly symmetrical 4,000-foot (1,200 m) deep caldera formed 7,700 years ago during the violent climactic eruptions and subsequent collapse of Mt. Mazama and the relatively moist climate that is typical of the crest of the Cascade Mountains.

The eruptive period that decapitated Mazama also laid waste to much of the greater Crater Lake area and deposited ash as far east as the northwest corner of what is now Yellowstone National Park, as far south as central Nevada, and as far north as southern British Columbia. It produced more than 150 times as much ash as the May 18, 1980 eruption of Mount St. Helens.
Wikipedia

You can still see pumice all over the place-

Posted Image

It only differs from what we saw around Mt. St. Helens by being pinkish instead of beige in color, and by having more rounded edges from years of exposure to the elements.

For some reason (I think it was the lateness of the hour, the smoke from nearby wildfires and perhaps the weather) we were unable to get a picture that does justice to the beauty of this place. How ironic that our pictures of Mt. St. Helens appear much more beautiful and thus do not convey the stark devastation we felt there. I guess that's why we all feel the need to visit these places in person, eh?

Here is a shot that illustrates the deep blue color of the water, said to be the purest water anywhere in the world.

Posted Image

#44 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 October 2009 - 08:49 PM

Crescent City

We camped at Crater Lake N.P. It was cold to us, like most of the weather we had experienced since leaving Houston. Meanwhile, Robert had been talking about going to the beach, "Go beach, Dad? Dad, go beach." So we decided to head for the beach. We found it in Crescent City, CA.

Posted Image

Edna decided to forgo directly experiencing the Pacific this day, preferring to chronicle Robert's and my journey instead.

Posted Image

Even though Robert is a very cool fellow to know, he has a few shortcomings, one of them being that he can't perceive three dimensions too well. But Robert is nothing if not determined and Robert wanted to go to the beach. As we returned from the adventure Edna captured the following sequence where Robert shows us all how to live: Set a goal. Be patient but persistent. Accept help from others when it is offered. Have a joyful heart.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Life is good, eh Robert?

Posted Image

#45 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 05 October 2009 - 12:25 AM

Y'all lift my spirits. Thanks

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#46 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 05 October 2009 - 02:24 AM

Y'all lift my spirits. Thanks

See you at the pop-up bowl, Jay?

#47 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:13 AM

Mark,
I'm wrestling with some health issues but my plan is to at least stop by for an overnight. Its still not for sure but keep your fingers crossed.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#48 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 05 October 2009 - 11:58 PM

Might want a beach with a bit more sand next time :) Nice report. Sounds like a great time.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#49 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 06 October 2009 - 01:51 AM

The pictures of you helping Robert up the beach, and the big smile on your face when you were on the gravel is very touching. They brought a tear to my eye.

#50 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:37 PM

|Redwoods||Lost Coast||Redwoods|

From Crescent City...

Posted Image

...we continued down the Northern coast of California on "the" 101.

Posted Image

Our plan was to see big trees and then head to wine country, but since we had been on the road for a couple weeks, we also needed to do some laundry. We passed through Redwood National Park...

Posted Image

...and back to the ocean...

Posted Image

...back to redwood trees...

Posted Image

We saw some interesting artifacts from foreign countries...

Posted Image

...and (possibly) other worlds...

Posted Image

We didn't know what to make of these:

Posted Image

Tsunamis, really? When has that ever happened? Not so very long ago, turns out. The Good Friday, 1964 Alaska earthquake triggered a series of waves (four?) that repeatedly washed through Crescent City. Quoting from the article, that quotes from their book, Peggy Coons and her husband Roxey wrote--

"The water withdrew as if someone had pulled the plug. It receded a distance of three-quarters of a mile from the shore. We were looking down, as though from a high mountain, into a black abyss. It was a mystic labyrinth of caves, canyons, basins, and pits, undreamed of in the wildest of fantasies.

"The basin was sucked dry. At Citizen's Dock, the large lumber barge was sucked down to the ocean bottom. In the distance, a black wall of water was rapidly building up, evidenced by a flash of white as the edge of the boiling and seething seawater reflected the moonlight. The Coast Guard cutter and small crafts, that had been riding the waves a safe two- miles offshore, seemed to be riding high above the 'wall' of seawater.

"Then the mammoth wall of water came barreling towards us. It was a terrifying mass, stretching up from the ocean floor and looking much higher than the island. Roxey shouted, 'Let's head for the tower!'-but it was too late. 'Look out!' he yelled and we both ducked as the water struck, split and swirled over both sides of the island. It struck with such force and speed that we felt like we were being carried along with the ocean. It took several minutes before we realized that the island hadn't moved.

(I have a feeling those signs are exactly equal with "spit in the ocean"...)

I'm not sure where, exactly, we saw these guys tracking all over somebody's property right next to the road...

Posted Image

We came to a sign that said, "Redway," and it was lunchtime, and I was ants-ey about the laundry, so we went there to check out the town. Seeing a sign that said, "Shelter Cove," a light went off in my head-- The Fisherman!

...continued...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users