• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JWL

JWL

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 August 2022 - 03:58 PM

For all you solar and electrical engineers out there.

I have a IceCo JP50  fridge in my Hawk Shell that I run off a Bluetti EB70s. I still have the original (now 2 yrs) AGM 79 AH battery for lights etc, which will get replaced with lithium when it fully dies. I have 200 watts of solar on the roof for charging. I can charge the Bluetti via the 12v outlet but it takes FOREVER. The Bluetti did come with connectors to plug into a solar panel and has its own Mppt  

So here is my question, can I tie the connectors into the wires coming into my Victron Mppt from the panel on the roof? I would only plug it in when the Bluetti needed charging and when solar allows and the house battery was full. Would this freak out the controller or would it just think it wasn’t getting as much juice. Do y’all see any other problems or issues? 
Thanks!

2007 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab

2020 Hawk Shell

#2 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,964 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 20 August 2022 - 11:34 PM

For all you solar and electrical engineers out there.

I have a IceCo JP50  fridge in my Hawk Shell that I run off a Bluetti EB70s. I still have the original (now 2 yrs) AGM 79 AH battery for lights etc, which will get replaced with lithium when it fully dies. I have 200 watts of solar on the roof for charging. I can charge the Bluetti via the 12v outlet but it takes FOREVER. The Bluetti did come with connectors to plug into a solar panel and has its own Mppt  

So here is my question, can I tie the connectors into the wires coming into my Victron Mppt from the panel on the roof? I would only plug it in when the Bluetti needed charging and when solar allows and the house battery was full. Would this freak out the controller or would it just think it wasn’t getting as much juice. Do y’all see any other problems or issues? 
Thanks!

Add a switch in to flip where the solar panel output goes, MPPT of Bluetti, and I don't see a problem with that.

#3 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 21 August 2022 - 01:26 PM

I don't have solar or a Bluetti (or a fridge) so sorry if this is a dumb question...

What does the Bluetti do for you?  With 200 amps of solar, I'm thinking that should be sufficient for keeping the JP50 running off your AGM battery. 

Also- On the topic of improving Bluetti 12-volt charging speed....  Youtuber Jasonoid makes an interesting case for doubling charging wattage on the Bluetti by charging at 24 volts.  The 24 volts comes from a $36 DC-to-DC voltage booster.  The video and comments below it are an interesting read.  I'd want to find more on this before buying the booster but it seems promising.

Bluetti EB55 and EB70 Charging Tips and Tricks

I assume if it works for the EB70 it would also work for the EB70S given this review of the EB70S.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#4 TacomaAustin

TacomaAustin

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 21 August 2022 - 02:56 PM

I'm not the original poster of this thread and hope to provide a bit of insight why someone may wish to bring along a small power cube.

My camper at the moment only has a single 79 Ah AGM and does not have any provisions for a 120 volt AC outlet. I'm not interested in installing an inverter.  So, I use a Bluetti EB70 to operate battery chargers and whatever accessories that require a 120 volt AC circuit.  It is a plug and play solution so to speak.

To keep the Bluetti charged I have a Goal Zero Yeti Car Charger set to its slow setting - which means a charge rate of 60 watts.   It may be a slow rate of charge, but I'm cool with it.   For me - in addition to recharging my laptop computer and Makita power tool batteries, the Bluetti is my back up power source. The Goal Zero Car Charger has a longer than necessary power cable that is only #16 gauge wiring and the unit will overheat, if used at its fast rate of charge setting, which is 120 watts. 

Edited by TacomaAustin, 21 August 2022 - 03:22 PM.

Andrew in Austin, TX

#5 JWL

JWL

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 August 2022 - 04:25 PM

Add a switch in to flip where the solar panel output goes, MPPT of Bluetti, and I don't see a problem with that.

Thanks Vic. A switch might be the more foolproof way to do this. I will search for switches that might work, but if you have anything in mind that would be appreciated.

2007 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab

2020 Hawk Shell

#6 JWL

JWL

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 August 2022 - 04:39 PM

I don't have solar or a Bluetti (or a fridge) so sorry if this is a dumb question...

What does the Bluetti do for you?  With 200 amps of solar, I'm thinking that should be sufficient for keeping the JP50 running off your AGM battery. 

Also- On the topic of improving Bluetti 12-volt charging speed....  Youtuber Jasonoid makes an interesting case for doubling charging wattage on the Bluetti by charging at 24 volts.  The 24 volts comes from a $36 DC-to-DC voltage booster.  The video and comments below it are an interesting read.  I'd want to find more on this before buying the booster but it seems promising.

Bluetti EB55 and EB70 Charging Tips and Tricks

I assume if it works for the EB70 it would also work for the EB70S given this review of the EB70S.

Same pretty much as TacomaAustin posted, I keep my shell modular, it stays full time on my truck so I unload and don’t carry all that weight around on a daily basis. Plus having the AC outlets I can run and charge things I normally could not. I can even run my 5000 btu air conditioner for about 3 hrs. (Hoping longer tapped into solar.) But I can pull the fridge and the Bluetti and use in another vehicle or around the house. If I’m using the heater that is about all the AGM can handle.

I’ve seen Jasonoid and his tip, that’s interesting but kind of scares me. I’ve also seen him blow up a lithium station charging it and that really scared me. (I didn’t know what charger he was using) But I’m trying to keep it as simple as possible. 
Thanks for the reply 

2007 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab

2020 Hawk Shell

#7 JWL

JWL

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 August 2022 - 04:45 PM

I'm not the original poster of this thread and hope to provide a bit of insight why someone may wish to bring along a small power cube.

My camper at the moment only has a single 79 Ah AGM and does not have any provisions for a 120 volt AC outlet. I'm not interested in installing an inverter.  So, I use a Bluetti EB70 to operate battery chargers and whatever accessories that require a 120 volt AC circuit.  It is a plug and play solution so to speak.

To keep the Bluetti charged I have a Goal Zero Yeti Car Charger set to its slow setting - which means a charge rate of 60 watts.   It may be a slow rate of charge, but I'm cool with it.   For me - in addition to recharging my laptop computer and Makita power tool batteries, the Bluetti is my back up power source. The Goal Zero Car Charger has a longer than necessary power cable that is only #16 gauge wiring and the unit will overheat, if used at its fast rate of charge setting, which is 120 watts. 

Hmm, interesting, I’ll look at the Goal Zero. But I was hoping not to spend anymore $$, if I did it might just be a remote panel for the camper or the Bluetti. But again more to carry.

Im in New Braunfels, we should have a rally!

2007 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab

2020 Hawk Shell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users