52 replies to this topic

#31 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 05 January 2023 - 11:55 PM

I’m really enjoying this… and am amazed at how many unique things you find out there in the “middle of nowhere”.

I always wonder when we find petroglyphs, what the area looked like when they were created? Surely not an desert? Where would they have gotten grain to grind?

I wonder these things also. I think the climate was a bit different. Some of the petroglyphs has atlatls depicted. My understanding is atlatls became obsolete 1500 years ago when the bow was introduced in the region. But no matter what life could not have been easy.

Ski3pins, thanks for the writeup! It's such fascinating territory. (I need to finish wiring our camper so we can get out again -- as soon as I get over a little illness.)

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#32 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 07 January 2023 - 12:58 AM

The adventure continues. We moved from Death Valley over to Nevada's Gold Butte National Monument -

The 70th Birthday Adventure - November 2022 - Part Five - Gold Butte

Rock art, colorful rock, lots of scrambling, and great company. What could be better?

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#33 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 07 January 2023 - 02:32 AM

The adventure continues. We moved from Death Valley over to Nevada's Gold Butte National Monument -

The 70th Birthday Adventure - November 2022 - Part Five - Gold Butte

Rock art, colorful rock, lots of scrambling, and great company. What could be better?

Such a beautiful area, and far more rock art than I remembered or imagined.  Thanks for letting us tag along.

I am haunted by waters

#34 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 07 January 2023 - 06:55 PM

I'm not sure I spotted the evidence that the ancients knew where baby sheep come from.  And I note that you are not showcasing DSTrace.  I miss seeing all the "hidden" stuff that that app was able to reveal. 

Loving the trip!

#35 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts

Posted 07 January 2023 - 07:08 PM

I'm not sure I spotted the evidence that the ancients knew where baby sheep come from.  And I note that you are not showcasing DSTrace.  I miss seeing all the "hidden" stuff that that app was able to reveal. 

Loving the trip!

On Newspaper Rock notice the sheep glyphs near the center. One of the sheep is mounting a sheep under him. Also, I did not include any DStretch images when they did not pull out or enhance any details that was not easily seen in the image out of the camera. I didn't think it was necessary.  At home, though, I do check if there is any hidden detail by processing all photos of pictographs with DStretch.

Vic, we're glad you are enjoying the trip! Thanks for your kind comments.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#36 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 07 January 2023 - 08:25 PM

thx Monte and company !   what a place.

Oregon

#37 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 12:16 AM

Here's another area of the marvelous Gold Butte National Monument -

The 70th Birthday Adventure - November 2022 - Part Six - Gold Butte

Please enjoy.  :)

#38 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 08 January 2023 - 12:42 AM

Oh goodie!

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#39 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 08 January 2023 - 02:10 AM

Wow, just wow!

#40 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 08 January 2023 - 04:16 PM

Incredible rock art finds. Congratulations on developing the eye for where the art is likely to be. You are putting yourself into the mindset of the people from the past. How rewarding, fun and darn good exercise, too!

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users