• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 04:52 PM

Hello Everyone,

My wife and I are looking to get away and do a quick trip over the weekend. We are targeting the western slope of the Sierras or Northern East Side (395) North of Reno. We'd love to head to Mammoth and Devil's postpile but it's too long of a drive for a weekend. We are trying to keep travel time under 4 hours, end up somewhere that is not too crowded and that has a lake for us to take the kayaks out onto. Dirt roads fine, washboard ok, but not really looking to do any four wheelin this weekend.

Any suggestions?
Rich 2007 Toyota Tundra Limited with 1989 FWC/ATC Fleet Hybrid fully refurbished

#2 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:45 PM

Perhaps look for "eagle lake". According to trip reports, it is a good destination. I think it's in the area you describe.

#3 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 09 September 2009 - 11:13 PM

Rich,

We just returned yesterday from the area east of Lassen Volcanic NP. This is less than 1/2 hour from Susanville on 395. There are two lakes near here I really want to go back to with a canoe or kayak. The first is Crater Lake - no, not the one in Oregon. About 25 miles past Susanville on Highway 44 is a gravel road that will take you to the lake. About five miles, definitely washboarded but could be done in a passenger vehicle. There is a small campground right on the lake. Midweek this time of the year you may get the place to yourself. I caught a nice trout here which didn't do well after I released it. We watched a bald eagle take advantage of its weakened state and grab it. I did a trip report with a photo of this lake a few years back. Check the archives for my trip report on Lassen.

The other lake is called Silver Lake - no, not the one in Alpine County. On Highway 44 about 22 miles past Susanville, go left on Mooney Road. After four miles, turn right on Silver Lake Road. There are no official signs for this road, but it has several home made signs and is hard to miss. It is five miles to the lake, the first being heavily washboarded but it improves after that. There are two campgrounds near the lake, but not right on it. We drove through both and they were only about half full, even on Labor Day weekend. There are forest service cabins on this lake and motor boats are allowed. You can launch small boats on an unimproved launch as well. We observed several Osprey catching fish here. Less than a mile away is Caribou Lake which is smaller and does not allow powered boats. We saw a couple of vehicles boondocking on the shoreline here. This is also a trailhead into Caribou wilderness with good hikes to many more small lakes. I took photos of both of these lakes this weekend but have not downloaded them yet. I will try to get a trip report up tomorrow so you can see the photos.

Both lakes are at about 6500 feet and the nights were pretty cold. Campfires are still allowed in campgrounds but not if you boondock.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 09 September 2009 - 11:22 PM

What size lake are you looking for? How uncrowded? You could be up at Taylor Lake in about two hours, very pretty but may be a bit small for kayaking.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 03:51 AM

What size lake are you looking for? How uncrowded? You could be up at Taylor Lake in about two hours, very pretty but may be a bit small for kayaking.

Looking for something big enough to spend some time on in the boats. We don't have to be alone but don't want to be in the middle of a music blaring, atv rippin hootinanny either :-)
Rich 2007 Toyota Tundra Limited with 1989 FWC/ATC Fleet Hybrid fully refurbished

#6 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 03:52 AM

Rich,

We just returned yesterday from the area east of Lassen Volcanic NP. This is less than 1/2 hour from Susanville on 395. There are two lakes near here I really want to go back to with a canoe or kayak. The first is Crater Lake - no, not the one in Oregon. About 25 miles past Susanville on Highway 44 is a gravel road that will take you to the lake. About five miles, definitely washboarded but could be done in a passenger vehicle. There is a small campground right on the lake. Midweek this time of the year you may get the place to yourself. I caught a nice trout here which didn't do well after I released it. We watched a bald eagle take advantage of its weakened state and grab it. I did a trip report with a photo of this lake a few years back. Check the archives for my trip report on Lassen.

The other lake is called Silver Lake - no, not the one in Alpine County. On Highway 44 about 22 miles past Susanville, go left on Mooney Road. After four miles, turn right on Silver Lake Road. There are no official signs for this road, but it has several home made signs and is hard to miss. It is five miles to the lake, the first being heavily washboarded but it improves after that. There are two campgrounds near the lake, but not right on it. We drove through both and they were only about half full, even on Labor Day weekend. There are forest service cabins on this lake and motor boats are allowed. You can launch small boats on an unimproved launch as well. We observed several Osprey catching fish here. Less than a mile away is Caribou Lake which is smaller and does not allow powered boats. We saw a couple of vehicles boondocking on the shoreline here. This is also a trailhead into Caribou wilderness with good hikes to many more small lakes. I took photos of both of these lakes this weekend but have not downloaded them yet. I will try to get a trip report up tomorrow so you can see the photos.

Both lakes are at about 6500 feet and the nights were pretty cold. Campfires are still allowed in campgrounds but not if you boondock.

Ted these sound great, thanks for the info, can't wait to see the pictures. I might check one of them out this weekend. If you had to choose one which one are you most interested in going back to?

#7 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 06:49 AM

I just read a bit more about crater lake and pulled it up on a google map, it looks great!

#8 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 10 September 2009 - 03:33 PM

Rich,

Trip report completed with photos of Silver, Caribou, and Juniper Lakes. I didn't mention Juniper earlier. It is a little further from Susanville and in Lassen Volcanic NP proper, so there is a $10 park entry fee. If you are just looking for rowing, it is probably about five miles to row the perimeter of Juniper Lake. It is pretty and you can camp right on the shore, but there are no fish here. Crater Lake is small and I don't know how much boat time you could get in it. I think I read it is only 24 acres. Silver Lake is somewhere between Juniper and Crater Lake in size, but I really like being on the lake. I would be hard pressed to pick one to go back to, but it would be between Silver and Crater Lakes.
BTW, if you do go to Silver, let me know and I can direct you to enough cut firewood to get you through several nights.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#9 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,297 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 06 November 2009 - 08:31 PM

Hello Everyone,

My wife and I are looking to get away and do a quick trip over the weekend. We are targeting the western slope of the Sierras or Northern East Side (395) North of Reno. We'd love to head to Mammoth and Devil's postpile but it's too long of a drive for a weekend. We are trying to keep travel time under 4 hours, end up somewhere that is not too crowded and that has a lake for us to take the kayaks out onto. Dirt roads fine, washboard ok, but not really looking to do any four wheelin this weekend.

Any suggestions?

i know its late but you might keep this i mind.try the gold lake road.it goes from cal 49 at bassttes sierra buttes area to cal.89 at graeagle .there are a lot of lakes there.you can camp at goose lake right off the road,no noise at night.seems know one uses the road at night.also upper and lower sardine and salmon lakes although you don't camp at the lake they are very nice and good boating even some fish.gold lake is bigger but the back boat ramp area is nice some lake side spots,i think you don't need 4wd.best time sept or oct. enjoy.frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users