Pett Vs. Wet

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#11 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 12:27 AM

If it's of any interest, my wife and I looked at the porta-potti route, decided it took more room than it was worth, and bought the Pett. We haven't used it yet, but the light weight and small size were deciding factors. Included is the seat height that doesn't have you kissing your knees when seated, a definite plus to those of us whose knees are showing signs of long usage. The downside is the cost of supplies. How long will it take to 'go' through 12 bags?

We bought ours through Amazon for less than $100, the same can be done through Camp World or other suppliers.

2006 Tacoma, '66 AS Caravel,  2002 Eagle

#12 CJinCA

CJinCA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 01:34 AM

The wife and I use the Pett in our Hawk and we like it better than the Porta-Potty. I have a 3 gal. sealed bucket I use for storage until we can find a suitable place to dump it. It fit's nicely under the couch. Warning: The Wag Bags aren't cheap! I just ordered 12 from Cabela's for about $42.00 delivered :eek:

The best prices I've found for PETT bags and powder are at TRDParts4U. 20 bags for $41.00

The PETT system is compact and the nice thing is once you're done with your business, you can safely and greenly deposit it in any trash container. Safe for public landfills. And I like the idea of not carrying around a load in a chemical toilet for days at a time.

#13 GSBFree

GSBFree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 10 September 2009 - 02:22 AM

We love our PETT...now that sounds rather strange! It's solid to use, packs small for carrying in the FWC, combine it with a Zodi Extreme shower, shower tent and it's a bit of remote camping heaven.
'15 Tundra Double Cab
'08 Hawk

#14 Sportsman Matt

Sportsman Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 05:48 AM

I've actually got all 3 types, a hard mounted 6 gallong black tank with a flushing RV toilet in the camper, an ancient Thetford Portable, and a Luggable Loo (similar to the Pett). Each has their own place, I prefer the hard mounted in the camper over the porta-potty, mainly due to height and I don't feel like I'm going in an upside down Lego. The Lugable Loo is the best on the boat, it's a 5 gallon bucket with a latching toilet seat and lid. Problem is if you use it, it does let odors out, not something you want in the cab of the truck or in the camper all night, unless you change the bag every time, which can be very expensive. The Porta-potty is easier to keep up with, just dump it and rinse it, not a problem, unlike the hard mounted unit in my camper which requires the 20' sewer hose to empty. Just a pain to store if you don't have a storage compartment for it.

As for chemicals for the holding tanks and porta-potty, I pick up the liquid from Walmart, just read the side, if it say's Septic Safe, you can dump it anywhere. The other stuff isn't septic safe and will kill a septic system in no time, just like anti bacterial soap.

Good luck
Fly Fishing the North East, New England, and Eventually the world.

#15 The Saints

The Saints

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, CA

Posted 10 September 2009 - 03:47 PM

Craig,
I like that Thetford enzyme stuff instead of the old electric blue goo. Since I am stuck with what I got currently, I may as well make the best of it. Besides, I like kissing my knees.

Scott, Valerie and Dukino 
2002 Tacoma Ext Cab TRD 4 X 4
2020 FourWheel Fleet, loaded

#16 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:33 PM

all those fancy bio-degradeable bags are a waste of effort.
they do not break down...you have to read the fine print.
once they are buried they last as long as any plastic bag.
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#17 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 10 September 2009 - 07:58 PM

Roger that. UV is blocked in land fills.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#18 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:04 PM

I just wanted to comment on the old "dig a hole and squat" thing. Nothing wrong with it, I still use that method on occasion. Its just one of those things that has to be done appropriately. Nothing worse than finding a nice campsite and going "ewww whats that smell?" or seeing little piles all over. Basically, I'll dig a hole while traveling but not while I'm actually camped.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#19 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 12 September 2009 - 07:22 PM

I just wanted to comment on the old "dig a hole and squat" thing. Nothing wrong with it, I still use that method on occasion. Its just one of those things that has to be done appropriately. Nothing worse than finding a nice campsite and going "ewww whats that smell?" or seeing little piles all over. Basically, I'll dig a hole while traveling but not while I'm actually camped.

Good point. If you don't know about the "Leave No Trace" website, here's what they have to say:
http://www.lnt.org/programs/principles_3.php

Then, there's this well-known trade paperback:
http://www.amazon.com/How-Shit-Woods-Environmentally-Approach/dp/0898156270

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#20 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 07:12 PM

Well I have to weigh in on this one,

After spending a decade as a mountaineering and backpacking instructor and whitewater raft guide I have used every system imaginable from the cat hole in the woods, to group latrines, to crap in a plastic bag in an ammo can then have to cut the corner and squeeze it into an rv dump station. I have seen groovers (the toilet) from rafting trips explode on people after being left for weeks in the sun and I've seen porta pottis clog with tp during the pumping process and splatter the pumper so I am done with any wet toilet that isn't mounted in my home. I own the pett toilet now for our multi day rafting trips and love it. Easy to set up, easy to clean up. I haven't used it with our new camper yet but it will be my system of choice. Too many years dealing with other peoples poo to deal with porta potti's now :(
Rich 2007 Toyota Tundra Limited with 1989 FWC/ATC Fleet Hybrid fully refurbished

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users