• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 realbtl

realbtl

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationBigfork Montana

Posted 10 September 2009 - 07:26 PM

I always try and take off to somewhere in MT the week after Labor Day since the running of the Winnebagos has slacked off by then. Usually this is to Yellowstone but I was constrained by a dobro playing gig Friday afternoon. Since I had just gotten the Cougar built out to where I can use it I decided to hit a couple of spots in Glacier that I had never been to shake things down. I didn't realize how literal this was - more later.

Tuesday 9/8 - Stopped in Kalispell for groceries/supplies and what I am now becoming aware of, a chat with someone interested in the camper. I drove over Maria's Pass to Browning then north to Cut Bank Creek, about 5 mi back on good dirt. The front range default weather is high wind and I wasn't disappointed. One 10"-12" tree snapped during the night, luckily at the other end of the campground. The sofa was good to hang out on, will be better when the cushions are done. CB Creek would be a good overnighter, $10 and likely no requirement for a Glacier 7 day pass; no water but lots of trees that break the wind somewhat. Pictures are:
1. Packed up - The ropes and boxes will have to go but it was on hand and it worked.
2. There are 2 of these warriors at each of the 4 cardinal entrances to the Blackfeet Nation, very cool. This was entering East Glacier.
3. Dinner, Carlos Nakai/Peter Kater "How the West was Lost" soundtrack on, what more could I ask for? I knew I'd get wind so prepared for a non-cooking shrimp salad with fresh baguette. Since I don't drink the Fat Tire was not on the "what more could I ask for" list.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0510.jpg
  • IMG_0511.jpg
  • IMG_0517.jpg

1963 VW Sunroof, 1996 Corvette Convertible (summer) 2004 Ranger, 2008 Subie Legacy GT (snow) 1997 F250 now known as The Big Green Beast Cougar shell picked up 8-28-09, mods begun

#2 realbtl

realbtl

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 07:44 PM

Day 2 - After surviving a very windy night I drank my coffee and folded up the rig, planning to go to Many Glaciers. I stopped for a roadside breakfast overlooking Lake St. Mary, still windy. Turned off at Babb, still windy so I said "This isn't fun" and decided to head over Going to the Sun to the west side of the park and less wind. A sizable chunk of stimulus money was earmarked for fixing GTTS road and there was a lot of much needed construction going on. In the spring they open the road in stages for pedestrians and bicycles. Last spring I got about 4 miles past the loop on my recumbent trike. It took 2 hours to go up that 4 miles and about 10 minutes to come down but I thought my teeth were going to be shaken loose. Should be nicer next year.

I ended up at Bowman Lake campground just north of Polebridge and here is where "shakedown" became literal. It took about 30 minutes to go the 7.5 miles past Polebridge, not jeep road just lots and lots of potholes. This was after the North Fork Road which is well-known for washboard. This was most definitely worth it. Bowman Lake is the nicest campground in the park. The lake is beautiful and the roads keep away most of the tourists. I'm thinking the fishing is good as there were quite a few locals up for the day. Pictures are:
1. GTTS road- One of the things I like about Glacier is that the geology is right there in front of you.
2. Bowman Lake - Early afternoon.
3. Bowman Lake - Late afternoon.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0520.jpg
  • IMG_0522.jpg
  • IMG_0525.jpg

1963 VW Sunroof, 1996 Corvette Convertible (summer) 2004 Ranger, 2008 Subie Legacy GT (snow) 1997 F250 now known as The Big Green Beast Cougar shell picked up 8-28-09, mods begun

#3 realbtl

realbtl

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 07:48 PM

I couldn't be happier with both the camper and the layout I chose. Once the cushions are in the sofa is a great place to hang out. I used a piece of leftover plywood fron the sofa to make a small table for fixing lunch etc. I'm still thinking about how to use the window side space but this works for now. Pictures are:
1. Mandatory camper shot at Bowman Lake.
2. Weird tree root by my camp at Bowman Lake.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0523.jpg
  • IMG_0524.jpg

#4 realbtl

realbtl

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 07:50 PM

These 2 pix are for KCOWYO. Sorry, I couldn't help starting to munch the pastry.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0526.jpg
  • IMG_0527.jpg

#5 realbtl

realbtl

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:00 PM

Thoughts, lessons learned, etc.

1. The camper is one of the best purchases I have made and I'm glad I went with just the things I need - fridge, heater, power vents. I'm sure I;ll be adding stuff but it's nice to be able to use the camper and then figure out whether I really need certain things.
2. Marty and the crew are a pleasure to work with. He was a little hesitant when I told him I wanted the fridge on the opposite side but then warmed to the challenge and things came together great.
3. Be sure to check the valve on your 15 year old water jug before you turn it sideways and take a hike.
4. Make sure the small sliding doors on the above-window cabinets are snapped shut before you head up 25 miles of washboard/potholes.
5. My portable CPAP machine is great for those cold mornings when I'm too lazy to get up and throw a couple more blankets on the bed. Just burrow down and pull the blankets over my head - still get fresh air.

Happy Trails All, Barney

#6 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:12 PM

My friend.

Enjoy.

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members