13 replies to this topic

#11 SantaCruzin

SantaCruzin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, CA

Posted 24 January 2023 - 04:42 PM

Thanks all for all the insights!  We don't have the thermal pack and while I've considered it, I don't know that the investment would be worth the minimal improvement. I knew it wouldn't be much better than a tent sound-wise, but what I hadn't accounted for was the fact that we're up above everyone else where the sound carries on unobstructed.

Certainly, one of the major draws of the FWC was our ability to "get out there" and away from others...or at least others who are more into camping for the large amounts of alcohol and late-night parties. But with racing...well, I need to be near the race. Generally other mountain bikers are pretty considerate, but occasionally you do get the odd parent of a teen who is racing that's overserved themselves. I've tried it all...tents, a toy hauler, a class-C RV, and our 1968 VW Westfalia. None of them have really fit the bill for what we need. 

As for sleeping 4, we've done it once and it worked fairly well.  I was up with the kids on the over-cab bed and my wife got better sleep down on the couch. Long term, the Rhino Rack batwing awning we have has the ability to add walls (we have one, saving up to buy the others) to make a sort of add-a-room for the kids to sleep in.

At the end of the day, I'm trying to avoid us having to buy a travel-trailer, which is what my wife would like to get again. I can't see getting rid of the FWC as it just works too dang well for me, but she is adamant that for family trips we "need" a better sleeping setup and a bathroom.  :rolleyes:

#12 camper rich

camper rich

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 06:27 PM

As a last resort I use the Plug and Drug strategy (earplugs and a Tylenol PM).  Not suggesting you drug your kids, but it works for me.  Generally I prefer camping away from other people but it can also be wind noise or something else.  I like the FWC because it is like camping in a tent but there are drawbacks.  

#13 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 933 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 25 January 2023 - 03:11 AM

A lot of ear plugs start to irritate my ears after an hour or two. These ear plugs - Mack’s Ultra Soft - are the first I’ve found I can wear all night without them irritating my ears. I have to wear them all night on fishing trips sometimes due to snoring fishing partners. They also have a better sound reduction rating than most foam earplugs. I use them for hearing protection as well.

https://www.macksear...foam-ear-plugs/

Most major drug chains stock them.

Edited by Jon R, 25 January 2023 - 03:12 AM.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#14 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 25 January 2023 - 04:30 AM

A lot of ear plugs start to irritate my ears after an hour or two. These ear plugs - Mack’s Ultra Soft - are the first I’ve found I can wear all night without them irritating my ears. I have to wear them all night on fishing trips sometimes due to snoring fishing partners. They also have a better sound reduction rating than most foam earplugs. I use them for hearing protection as well.

https://www.macksear...foam-ear-plugs/

Most major drug chains stock them.

I like the wax ones the best for comfort, the foam ones also bother me after awhile..

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users