A Bad Day...........

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 davinski

davinski

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 07:50 AM

Hi, all. Here is a good 'report' for your reading pleasure...

Well, Finally getting around to processing a few pics of my recent truck mishaps...

Last Monday, Labor day, I was driving home from the central cascades of Oregon, when I passed an accident and sped up to about 30 or so MPH. A few minutes later, I lose power, then hear a big thunk. Not good. Luckily, it was about 1:30 or so in the afternoon on a sunny, warm and importantly, not a rainy day.

Here is the first pic.

http://www.wanderthe...25619_thumb.jpg

Ouch!!! As you can see, I dropped the drive train, disconnected from the transfer case, and amazingly, the u joint is still there.

Fortunately, a cop was giving a ticket just down the road and he came and called the AAA for me. A tow was there in about 25 minutes. He said that If I called, it could take all day. They get priority here in Oregon. Those cops gave out 4 tickets while i watched. At least I got some entertainment. Of course, the truck was a mess with stuff from 5 days in the woods, 3 with very very good rains....So I started packing and cleaning right there. I got some time to dry out the camper as well.

Here is a pic from the back. I had to enhance it, as I did a bad job of getting the shadow details....

http://www.wanderthe...27323_thumb.jpg

Notice the transfer case oil trailing the truck.....It smelled as you would expect.

I was just within the limits of Salem and thank goodness I was not on some desolate forest service road like I was just a few hours earlier....I was looking for some hotsprings, but that is another story. I'd probably still be up there if this happened earlier in the day.

I have AAA towing for 100 miles, a definite plus to have!!! I highly recommend it. They towed me to a Dodge dealer in Portland that worked on trucks. Of course, on Labor day, the sales department was open, and service was closed. I repacked the truck, hid the expensive stuff best I could, and got my friend Jason to come get me and some of my stuff. He nicely put me up for the night. Big red looked so terrible sitting outside the service department.

The sales folks wasted no time and suggested I look at some of the newer trucks on the lot. Typical. Nice, big, and expensive.

Here is what big red looks like when being taken by ambulance....

http://www.wanderthe...39399_thumb.jpg

The tow guy was very nice. He worked on the accident that slowed me down just a few minutes earlier. How ironic. Turns out, he owns a big
dodge truck, 4x4, diesel and we talked trucks the entire way to the dealer....58 miles away. He was sympathetic until he offered to drive me back to seattle.....somewhere about 400 bucks. 180 miles up and back.....yikes.

Well, I had to be in the office the next morning, but didn't know how to do it. Car service via the shuttles at the airport would have been 79 bucks, but they were full and didn't have one available until near noon the next day. Nice, vans with wifi to seattle in 3 hours, door to door. The Amtrak trains were done for the night and take 3 hours. Earliest into seattle arrived about noon. 30 bucks, not too bad. Alaska/horizon gets to me to seatac in 1 hour for about 149 not including taxes and fees. still gotta get there early and suffer the TSA shuffle. Seaport air, now that is a cool business airline. Little jets from Portland to Seattle's Boeing field. 50 minutes, 149 bucks all included. NO TSA screens. Easy on and off. Best flight into Seattle ever. Got to the terminal at Portland, they took my bags, got me coffee and we walked to the plane about 15 minutes later. In Seattle, landed, got off the plane, took the luggage, and my brother picked me up. In the car in less than 5 minutes after landing. Amazing. No crowds. This is the way to fly.

That would happen on Tuesday. After this research, time to buy my friend in Portland a beer for his help and get some Portland grub and sleep before heading to the airport.

Needless to say, got home, dressed and to the office with just a few minutes to spare.

Turns out, the dodge folks say they have never seen this before and think that maybe I lost the pin that holds the U joint to the transfer case. In hindsight, sounds like a weak point. Hmmm. it is a 1996 dodge ram 4x4 short bed with over 120 thousand miles. New parts alone would b e about 3000. refurbed about 1600. about 800 to put them in. If nothing else is wrong. I guess they say the drive shaft often bumps around and destroys most of the back underside of the truck. Not uncommon to lose shocks, springs, exhaust, gas tank, even bed in some cases. Luckily, I was going about 30. at 55, I am sure it would have been much worse.

The transfer case has seized and the wheels don't roll. That is why the tow guy had so much problem getting it off the truck. The axle might be OK. the drive shaft is bent.

Me thinks it is time for a new truck. I went looking today. Wow, they are nice these days.

I got called today that the parts are in and they will start work tomorrow. They promise to call if they find more damage. Great. If it works out, I might catch the train down and pick it up this weekend. Drive back up and decide what to do. I think I will be a bit gun shy and won't try to take it so remotely for a while. Not so fond of Dodge trucks today. Some parts were sent from back east. They don't make parts for this truck any longer....

Before all of this, I got some nice time at the Columbia river, in central Oregon, and in the Cascades. Did some reading, caught up on some odds and ends with the camper, and just relaxed. Joined some friends for the weekend along the Mckenzie Hwy. Until monday, that is.

Well, a really bad way to end the Labor day weekend. And cash for Klunckers ended a few weeks ago......

That is how my end of summer weekend went. How was yours?

Dave in Seattle

PS:

Of course, now all the questions are coming out as I review a lot of old posts.....
1. what would be the best new truck
2. maybe sell the hawk and get a grandby? Love the size!
3. don't really feel like building the furniture to fill the shell....Lots of time and energy
4. maybe getting a new camper with a heater would be really really really nice.
5. I can use my experience and do the truck and camper right this time.

I sense that I will post a lot of questions in the very near future.....after all, did spend part of the day looking at new trucks.....

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0653.jpg
  • DSC_0654.jpg
  • DSC_0656.jpg

#2 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 September 2009 - 01:18 PM

Dave, nobody really knows why bad things happen to good people.

Some of us believe that even the bad things work out for good in the Big Scheme of Things.

Edna & I hope this belief comes to pass for you.

If your truck is repaired, then it's repaired. I wouldn't be afraid to keep it. I do think *I* need to make some emergency plans before I go out in the wilderness again.

I *have* to get that amateur radio license...

#3 RonSchon

RonSchon

Bailmatic

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 01:21 PM

Timely... I just mentioned that my driveshaft/ujoints have been squeaking for a couple months, and I can't get it in for service until next week, so I have to cancel the CO FWC rally due to maintenance. Cappy gives me the "bailmatic" moniker. At the same time I was bailing, another Dodge dies in action with a u-joint symptom.

You hate to go spend $30k, but new trucks are always a pleasure for a while.

Sure put a hitch in your giddyup.

Thanks for reminding me to re-up my AAA Plus.

Ron
The Trial of Miles... Miles of Trials.
2004 Dodge 2500 Crew Short Gas
1995 FWC Hawk
2005 Toy Tun Access Cab 4x2

#4 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 11 September 2009 - 02:39 PM

Hell I would have said have them sell off the old truck for parts if you were spending that much on parts. The camper is off mine right now and I could have gone and picked up your camper.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#5 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:55 PM

I have been pretty lucky with the trucks we have had.

No major breakdowns or accidents, thankfully !

But when you put a lot of miles on the road, the chances of something going wrong increases. It is always good to take it slow and check your truck regularly. Safety first.

Attending trades shows all over the West the past 6 years (Seattle, Portland, Salt Lake, Phoenix, Nebraska, San Diego, etc.) we put a lot of miles behind the wheel with a camper on the truck and towing big trailers with 3 or 4 more campers. Our big trailer can weight as much as 7000 lbs. and is a 40' long bumper pull (not a fun rig to try and turn around on the city street when you are lost it !!).

This year when I was driving home from the Del Mar show in March, I was about 1/2 way home along I-5 in the valley when I pulled over to take a quick bathroom break and check my trailer load & trailer lights before it got dark.

When I got out of the truck I noticed the tounge on the trailer was cracked and almost completly ripped in two.

:o

Just a mile more and I would have lost the trailer on the freeway.

The trailer had a medium sized Six-Pac cabover camper on it, and maybe 2000 lbs. of misc. tools, wood, and machinery from our Riverside shop.

I can't even imagine what could have happened ?

Trailer flying off into the field and rolling ?

The trailer wagging my truck and flipping me too ?

Or would the trailer chains just snap ?

Any of the above would not have been fun.

I'm glad someone was watching out for me.

I have no idea why I stopped at the exit when I did.

Needless to say finding a mobile welder in the middle of the valley at dark on a week night wasn't easy.

My boss worked magic on the phone that night, and by 12:00 noon, I was back on the road heading back to Woodland.

:D

Attached Thumbnails

• Trailer hitch BROKEN.jpg
  • delivery truck.jpg

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#6 RonSchon

RonSchon

Bailmatic

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 07:51 PM

Wow Stan - you were very lucky - that thing was just about gone.
The Trial of Miles... Miles of Trials.
2004 Dodge 2500 Crew Short Gas
1995 FWC Hawk
2005 Toy Tun Access Cab 4x2

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:02 PM

I've had my share of mechanical difficulties in the past. Not fun. A large part of the reason I sold my old truck and bought this one.

Carry ice. I once stopped to check my wheel bearings. Burned my hand. Luckily I had a cooler full of ice (and yes beer) in the bed. This was pre cell phone days in the middle of nowhere. Since I was working for CDF at the time I knew the local lookouts used CB ch11 to chat with each other and was able to call one and have them call a tow for me.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#8 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:37 PM

I find amateur radio (HAM) works where phones don't. Relatively cheap, too.

Keep the truck. Add a furnace too the camper. Save your money. Give ford a couple more years to straighten out their diesels.

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

#9 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 13 September 2009 - 04:54 PM

Dave,
Sorry to hear of this. Hope to hear of you being back on the road soon whichever decision you make.

Stan,
GNARLY story. Could have been tragic to say the least.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#10 davinski

davinski

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 05:11 AM

Well, this weekend I took the train down to Portland, had a few beers with some friends, and picked up the bruised truck. Now, it runs nice, smooth and was nice having my little baby back. Camper was still damp from the rains of last weekend. A little moldy smell. Got to open her up and air it out. Probably deserves a good cleaning.

In the winter, I have a portable buddy heater. works well. My brother has a furnace in his pop up. When I hear him click it on I sometimes get really jealous......I don't let mine run when sleeping, so it is cold. Do use the nice down sleeping bags.

Talking ham radio, I did have the QRP equipment with me as I moved my screw driver antenna from the back to the side of the camper and tried to test it. Raised it up so it would be above the top of the camper and hopefully will now tune 20m. Took the icom 706 out a few weeks ago to make mounting changes.....Didn't get it back in yet....Now, will make sure it is in before any other trips....

Anyhow, I ramble. thanks everyone for your sympathy and lending and ear.....

Dave now back in Seattle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users