New Truck Help

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#11 davinski

davinski

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 05:02 AM

Ok, like the opinions, good to hear what other people think.

Yes, a 1/2 ton would work for me most of the time. But when I load up and have to take all that extra gear for extended stays off pavement, that 3/4 ton sure looks a lot better. This truck will mostly be used for fun stuff. the Hawk will probably stay on it 90% of the time as I only take it off to do maintenance and to do the spring load of topsoil, mulch and the like. I could have them deliver that, but trips to the nursery always bring back a bunch of stuff....Besides, it makes me sweep out the bed!!!

I''ve never owned a diesel, so don't know much about it. I don't think I am ready to make that jump yet, as gas is so easy. Don't plan to tow much, expect maybe a boat once in a while when we go water skiing or maybe fishing. Those trips won't probably see much off the main roads. Probably not all that far either. Might get a trailer for extra stuff on extended camp trips or hunting, but won't weigh all that much so not a big deal.

I remember reading about the axle bit, can you all fill me in on the details about this? Not sure what it all means. My family has a long history of really liking GM trucks. Why, I don't know. I've a dodge and few friends do as well, so have some first hand experience there. A few friends have the Tundras and they love them. None has a camper, though and none really goes off road like we FWC owners do. They do other off road stuff, but don't camp like I do. Often, they stay in motels when four wheeling.....

Have been checking the dealers around SEattle, not a lot of 09s left on the lot or that can be found when they search....If I decide to go new, will have to wait til the dealers get more hard up and want to talk deals on the 2010 models. Starting to check the used market as well. So many choices. That all, your input is much appreciated.

Dave in Seattle

#12 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 14 September 2009 - 03:50 PM

Regarding front suspensions: take a look at each. You'll find more moving parts under the GMs, including CV boots. We are talking 4x4s, here, if you aren't then ignore this. Anyway, all these extra moving parts require, you guessed it, maintenance. Furthermore, they're more prone to failure. BUT, they probably give a smoother ride.

Fish is wrong about the difference between F250s and F350s: they indeed have more differences than just springs. Front axle F250 is Dana 50 vs F350 Dana 60. Rear F250s are 10.5" while rear F350s are one of the 10.5" or a Dana 80. I assume -- but with no real justification -- brake parts are robusterer (new word) on the F350, too.

The cost difference between an F250 and F350 when I bought mine was about $400. I feel the more robusterer (there's that word again!) truck is worth $400; however, the ride is stiff.

And, to stir the pot, if you buy a big American truck, this whole discussion of airbags becomes just a lot of hot air. Unless maybe you go to a 3000 pound camper later, but if you are going to do THAT, skip the SRW trucks and get a dually.

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

#13 davinski

davinski

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:49 PM

Scott,

That is good advice. Yes, looking for 4x4. The moving parts is concerning. I will have to do some reading on this. I would assume maintenance is an issue, but is there any documentation that they have more problems. Wondering if this is a real practical problem or not. I have not heard about it much from people with these trucks, but maybe I just don't pay attention to it. Thanks for the input.

As an aside, wondering if all the ham here would ever consider starting a net like the boaters do. would be cool to check in and see where everyone is. That way, anyone in trouble could always ask for help. The rest of us could learn about cool places to get out of town.

As for the airbag thing, I would really like to not have to worry about this any longer. Get away from those 1/2 tons worries. As for 1 ton trucks, 400 is not all that much, but probably way overkill. The only reason to get a 3000 pound camper is if i get married. If I need a 3000 pound camper, then I will have much bigger problems. Hi Hi! On the other hand, there are lots of used campers out there. To have a FWC for off road use would be great. Switch it out for a nice posh "Hilton" for more civilized travel could be doable. I'd probably shoot myself first with the folks I would be hanging with, though.

thanks and 73 de N0XLW

Dave

#14 griz

griz

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationCampbell River, B.C.

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:10 PM

Think u have answered your question, 3/4 ton. No need to worry anymore.
"Quando omni flunkus moritati"

#15 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:36 PM

<snip>Fish is wrong about the difference between F250s and F350s: they indeed have more differences than just springs.<snip>

fyi from the Ford Truck Enthusiast Super Duty Techfile

The question that seems to keep coming up week after week is

"What is the difference between a F250 and a F350"

Here it is:

There are 3 differences between the SRW 250/350...
1) F-250 vs F-350 badges
2) 2" rear spacer block in 250 vs 4" in the 350
3) *most important* GVWR for F350 SRW is 9900 in most states and the F250 8800 in most states.

Affectionately,

mwi

#16 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:01 PM

fyi from the Ford Truck Enthusiast Super Duty Techfile

Affectionately,

mwi

Huh! Check this out: 2009 spec F250/350/450. The difference is ONLY spring pack AND axle shaft. Brakes, axle housings, etc, all the same. The F350 is rated for another 1000 pounds at the rear axle with 37, vs 35, splines.

So there is some difference, but not much until you get to DRW.

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

#17 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:48 AM

I've had my Hawk on a 1/2 ton Dodge and a 3/4 ton Chevy. Although a 1/2 ton truck can carry the Hawk, it's a much more comfortable ride on a 3/4 ton truck. Like RonSchon, I buy my vehicles used, which can mean it takes a while to find what your looking for (it took me a year to find the truck in my signature, almost as long as it took my to find my FWC Hawk).

A Diesel engine will add a premium, but if you plan to keep the truck for 200-300K miles or more, it will pay for itself in the long run.

The Chevy has a great ride on the road, and as long as you stay with it's very small size tires, you likely won't have a problem with the front end components. The Independent Front Suspension is what gives it such a nice road manner, but that is also it's weak link off road (which kind of defeats the purpose of 4x4). I bought my Chevy because I got it for a great price and I knew I would have to do some upgrades to make it work as well off road as a Ford or Dodge.

If I were looking for the best truck, which didn't require modifications, and I planned to keep for a long time, I would look for a few year old Dodge 2500 with a Cummins 5.9L diesel (in fact that's what I was looking for when I found this Chevy).

#18 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:43 AM

Ok I am going to jump in the mix here as I am working through the same decision myself. I am a Toyota Man through and through. My first one was a 75 landcruiser fj40 then a 1986 4-Runner and finally on to my 1996 T-100. My first car was a 1978 king cobra mustang, the charlies angels car for those that can remember and it was great for all the reasons a 16 year old wants a mustang and terrible for 4 reasons F-O-R-D. I strayed one other time buying a subaru outback and sold it a year later going right back to Toyota. However, facing a future of campers towing trailers with rafts on them, even though my FWC is light I feel the pull of the 3/4 ton. After a ton of research I have settled on a used 1999-2002 F-250 7.3 liter diesel with 100k miles or less. 100k is about 1/3 life for one of these diesels. I always buy used because of the immediate depreciation in car values but as others have said it takes a time commitment. The reason for the age range is this is the time period that Ford was putting 7.3 liter international harvester diesels in their F-250 and F-350 trucks. It's the best diesel they ever used because it wasn't made by Ford. It's been used in combines for over 40 years in different forms, is time tested to go 300k miles and is a great candidate for a veggie oil conversion. My Grandfather worked for FORD, my Dad and all of my brothers own nothing but Fords and you couldn't get me to buy a Ford except for those years of the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Check the repair records and write ups of that engine, they are bullet proof and they are the only thing that would make me stray from Toyota. If Toyota comes out with a 3/4 ton diesel in the states I will jump straight back to them in a heartbeat. In the meantime check out the Fords.
Rich 2007 Toyota Tundra Limited with 1989 FWC/ATC Fleet Hybrid fully refurbished

#19 mtn-high

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 16 September 2009 - 12:17 PM

i own one of the TOY-ota Tundras.

Um....it's a wimpy, wimpy 1/2 ton....but it went everywhere the 3/4 and 1 ton Fords and Dodges did this weekend in the San Juans....not that we pushed it er anything .(this wasn't "real" 4-wheeling by any means). I only put in in 4-wheel a few times all weekend....

Reliability is key here. I look around these hills and see LOTS of old toyotas chuggin along...but see very FEW older model Chevy's, (remember the S-10??) Fords (my dad had 3 Rangers to my one Nissan king Cab), Dodges (how about a Raider? seen any?) from the mid-80's.... THAT says alot here....

there are aspects of the Toy that are lacking....but reliability ISN'T one of them. I hate giving ANY of these bastards $$$...so the farther between purchases I can make it the better.

Diesels are great if you aren't following one. That **** gives me a headache and makes me pass folks in crazy places on windy roads. Pee-U.

good luck in yer quest

mtn
Wherever ya go...there ya are.

#20 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 16 September 2009 - 01:37 PM

If it is not going to be a daily driver I sure wouldn't spend the $$ on a new one to just sit there. I ended up with a 7.3 Ford that had 110,000 miles but was 20% of what a new one costs. I've put 25,000m on in the last 3 months so it is not a driveway dweller.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users