• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sleddog

Sleddog

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 06 April 2023 - 11:25 PM

I have always run studded snow tires in the winter because I was pulling a trailer full of dogs and wanted the best traction available. It's just the truck and a FWC now and it's time for new tires, both summer and winter tires are shot. My biggest priority is traction on snow, winters are long here at 6600 feet in Idaho. Second priority is not too noisy. Other than that I'm willing to compromise, I don't do any serious off roading, just your basic Forest Service and BLM roads. If I need a spotter, have to get out to stack rocks, or have to air down, I'm not interested. I'm ok with losing a mile per gallon, and since the camper is always on the truck, I'm not worried about a rough ride.

What LT E rated All Terrain tire has the best snow traction?

Edited by Sleddog, 06 April 2023 - 11:26 PM.

#2 Mthomas

Mthomas

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationNorth Tahoe

Posted 07 April 2023 - 11:36 AM

KO2, but I burned them up super fast at 5 tons. Wrangler duratrac is also good, but 2 ply sidewall, even though e rated, lead to puncture issues and sloppy ride aired down only a couple pounds. Ran a grabber ATX that did well, currently on Cooper at3 XLT. Living at 6200 in the Sierra. Traction with any of these has not been an issue, but I know how to drive in snow unlike many of our visitors. I feel the weight of the vehicle really helps with the traction issues. Modern tires are all pretty good these days.

2018 Hawk FD 2016 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 07 April 2023 - 01:27 PM

We are at 4000’ and have snow on the ground for at least 4 months a year.  My driveway is just now beginning to have gravel showing again.  A neighboring rancher will only use Bridgestone Blizzak on his F150.  He is an active skier and puts high mileage on them from here in NE Oregon, to family and resorts in Idaho, Montana, Colorado.  I can’t personally vouch for the tires, but he won’t have any other winter tire on his truck.  He does not have a camper or canopy.

One more season on my studded tires, and I plan on going to Blizzaks.

I am haunted by waters

#4 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 01:34 PM

well, tires do make a difference but weight also helps. Had KO2's and Michelin ATX LT on our 05 tundra with ATC camper on it and drove Teton Pass on a regular basis with no traction issues. But the KO2's wore out in 30K miles and the Michelins went almost 70K with no flats or issues. 

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#5 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 07 April 2023 - 04:18 PM

Look at Mickey Thompson Baja Boss tires, I have installed installed on my Ford Super Duty. They work well in the snow, very low on tire noise. So far they have been awesome tires. They have a 50K tread wear warranty. My tire size is 295 70 18.

#6 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 08 April 2023 - 01:51 PM

well, tires do make a difference but weight also helps. Had KO2's and Michelin ATX LT on our 05 tundra with ATC camper on it and drove Teton Pass on a regular basis with no traction issues. But the KO2's wore out in 30K miles and the Michelins went almost 70K with no flats or issues. 

Its bizarre how different it can be for us all... I have tried the Michelin ATX LT also and only got 34k out of them, the Cooper Discoverer AT3 and got around 37k and now on the KO2 and sitting at 24k and they look almost brand new. Of the 3 I like the KO2 the best and the Michelin the least..

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 08 April 2023 - 06:34 PM

Yes it is. Why I hesitate to recommend a tire. What works for me may not work for you. Those of us with Diesels aren't likely to see great mileage due to the weight. I also figure my taste for tight twisty roads don't help either :)

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#8 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 08 April 2023 - 06:50 PM

Yes it is. Why I hesitate to recommend a tire. What works for me may not work for you. Those of us with Diesels aren't likely to see great mileage due to the weight. I also figure my taste for tight twisty roads don't help either :)

Love me a tight twisty road!!!  

#9 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 08 April 2023 - 10:18 PM

Its bizarre how different it can be for us all .....

Yes it is. Why I hesitate to recommend a tire .....

In my limited experience tires perform differently on different platforms and suspension geometries.  What works on a solid front axle Ford won't work on IFS Chevy.  And it is hard to remember how a the Cooper AT3 handled in snow 6 winters ago compared to the Falken Wildpeak AT3W in the winter of '21-'22.

But here goes.  2012 Ram 2500, 4X4, gas, auto, standard cab, 8' box.

Cooper Discoverer AT3, LT265/70-17:  49,800 miles, good on snow and slippery grass, poor on mud (didn't clear), quiet when new, developed cupping on rt front last 15,000 miles.

Falken Wildpeak AT3W, LT 265/70 - 17: 121,000 miles, better on snow and grass, not tested on mud, a little noisier than Coopers(?), gas milage didn't change.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#10 Mthomas

Mthomas

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationNorth Tahoe

Posted 10 April 2023 - 05:25 PM

One critical wears aspect for me has been tire pressure. If you change sizes, take a look at the TOYO tire charts and find the correct pressure for your weight and that size tire. Placard pressure on the larger tires I started running  was eating the centers up really fast. Dropped about 8-10 psi and suddenly had even wear. The weight of my rig is a significant wear factor all by itself.

2018 Hawk FD 2016 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users