Photo

Do you think an FWC or a GFC would make more sense for full-time living in this situation?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#11 dole

dole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 April 2023 - 11:33 PM

I work in law enforcement for a federal land management agency and residential use of federal land is prohibited under 36 C.F.R. § 261.58(a)
. What you are describing is residential use of federal land. Don't want you getting into any trouble as you may not be aware of this.

Thanks for the concern. I'm aware of the laws surrounding public lands and won't be breaking any :)

#12 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 11 April 2023 - 04:44 PM

There are two issues with camping in the winter in a FWC:

they aren't well insulated: it takes a lot of heat to keep them comfortable.

it gets dark early in the winter: you will probably be finding a campsite in the dark.

Isn't a GFC a roof top tent?

Might be better off stealth camping in town during the work week, but for that a RTT won't work.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#13 dole

dole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 April 2023 - 08:33 PM

There are two issues with camping in the winter in a FWC:

they aren't well insulated: it takes a lot of heat to keep them comfortable.

it gets dark early in the winter: you will probably be finding a campsite in the dark.

Isn't a GFC a roof top tent?
Might be better off stealth camping in town during the work week, but for that a RTT won't work.

Yeah I think I will end up stealth camping in town quite often in the winter when a lot of forest roads get closed due to snow. A GFC is kind of like a rooftop tent attached to a truck bed shell, where you can enter the tent portion through the roof of the shell. I have a 6 foot long bed though so I could also just sleep in the bed with the tent part closed.

#14 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 11 April 2023 - 10:41 PM

if you are stealth camping in a FWC with top down, you will be well insulated. The tent portion will be collapsed and the roof and hard sides are probably better insulated than your truck. Ventilation is still available via roof vent and turnbuckle access

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#15 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 17 April 2023 - 01:47 AM

Do what you have to do, but depending on where in Utah you are talking about it will range from hard to very, very hard in the winter. I know. BTDT. You could rent an apartment for the price of the 4WC. Sell one of your trucks if you can. If you move back east you will then not need to move two vehicles.

If you insist, then do as PaulT said and stealth camp with the top down as much as possible.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#16 dole

dole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 April 2023 - 03:00 AM

Do what you have to do, but depending on where in Utah you are talking about it will range from hard to very, very hard in the winter. I know. BTDT. You could rent an apartment for the price of the 4WC. Sell one of your trucks if you can. If you move back east you will then not need to move two vehicles.

If you insist, then do as PaulT said and stealth camp with the top down as much as possible.

Exactly. I can buy a whole camper home that is mine to keep forever and sell whenever I want for the cost of just a single year of renting an apartment. That's one big reason for why I'm doing this. I've never lived east of Utah, I am originally from the west coast. But yeah I'm pretty sure at this point I'm just gonna do it for the summer and then get another rental for just the winters

#17 OutToLunch

OutToLunch

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 April 2023 - 05:47 AM

If you’re convinced that a pop up will do, you might look at a Caribou Lite.  Last weekend I was in the Valley of the Gods camping and talked with a guy who was living full time in his Caribou Lite on a Ram 1500.  His Caribou Lite Had lots of options (outdoor shower, cassette toilet, two awnings, outdoor features, etc.). He was fairly happy with his setup though he was pretty sure he was overweight for his truck.  The Caribou Lite is lighter than a similarly equipped FWC.

I have lived in vehicles through winters while in grad school (old VW bus a couple of winters and an Isuzu Trooper a decade later).  Sounds romantic, but unless you have somewhere indoors to hang out at, it can be a drag.  If you’re overwintering in snow country, forest roads are often closed either by the Forest Service or by nature.  Waking up to find out that it snowed heavy last night and you are boondocking can ruin one’s day before it gets started.  Summers were easy, winters are tough.

I currently camp in a ATC Ocelot.

#18 Dipodomys

Dipodomys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 03:06 AM

Now that summer is drawing getting towards its end, I’d love an update on what you chose and how it’s been going. I lived out of a 1st gen Tacoma with a FlipPac in southern New Mexico for a few years in grad school. In cold weather I’d often leave the top closed for better insulation and it was fine. If you haven’t yet, I’ll suggest getting a gym membership for the showers.

#19 dole

dole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 08:11 PM

Now that summer is drawing getting towards its end, I’d love an update on what you chose and how it’s been going. I lived out of a 1st gen Tacoma with a FlipPac in southern New Mexico for a few years in grad school. In cold weather I’d often leave the top closed for better insulation and it was fine. If you haven’t yet, I’ll suggest getting a gym membership for the showers.

So I ended up living in a go fast camper in the back of my 6 foot bed tacoma for a while. I'm now purchasing a house. While very uncomfortable in the heat, it can definitely be done. I remained working full-time during the whole thing.

#20 Dipodomys

Dipodomys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 22 August 2023 - 09:41 PM

Thanks for the update! I’ve been thinking about replacing my FlipPac with a Go Fast Camper. They look pretty sweet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users