• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 57Pan

57Pan

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 21 April 2023 - 02:03 PM

What do most people do with their outer window coverings on an Allterrain Camper? I’ve only put mine on once when I thought a serious storm was rolling in. Otherwise most of the time I have them rolled up and placed under my bench seat in the camper.

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,346 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 21 April 2023 - 02:15 PM

They are tucked next to our tool container behind the driver's seat in the truck.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 23 April 2023 - 02:03 PM

I put ours (when we had them) in an old, folding chair bag rolled up and stored them under the seats.  I kind of liked the old method where they rolled up on themselves on the outside.  Having to "plan" ahead of a storm and attaching them was a hassle (for me at least as I needed a ladder/chair to get up that high).

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#4 57Pan

57Pan

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 23 April 2023 - 04:08 PM

I like the idea of a chair bag to store them in. I’m going to do this.

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,346 posts

Posted 23 April 2023 - 04:16 PM

They are tucked next to our tool container behind the driver's seat in the truck.

I put ours (when we had them) in an old, folding chair bag rolled up and stored them under the seats.  I kind of liked the old method where they rolled up on themselves on the outside.  Having to "plan" ahead of a storm and attaching them was a hassle (for me at least as I needed a ladder/chair to get up that high).

I like the idea of a chair bag to store them in. I’m going to do this.

I should have mentioned this also. Our flaps are in a small tent storage bag from years past. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 lprdshrk

lprdshrk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 31 December 2023 - 04:32 PM

I took 2 of mine off before I left on my latest trip and slipped them under the bed.  Unfortunately there were heavy rains on Day 3 and I had water dripping down the inside.  Since I didn't have a ladder tall enough to reach the flap I had to stack my cooler on my step stool in order to put the flaps back up. How are you all able to reach up there, do you bring ladders along? 

#7 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,346 posts

Posted 31 December 2023 - 05:19 PM

I can reach ours standing on our small plastic step stool. I have a fairly long reach. Julie could not do it.

#8 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 31 December 2023 - 05:21 PM

I took 2 of mine off before I left on my latest trip and slipped them under the bed.  Unfortunately there were heavy rains on Day 3 and I had water dripping down the inside.  Since I didn't have a ladder tall enough to reach the flap I had to stack my cooler on my step stool in order to put the flaps back up. How are you all able to reach up there, do you bring ladders along? 

On the F350, there is no way I can reach the top of my storm flaps, so tend to leave them on in all but the best conditions.  If window ventilation/light is needed , I try to roll them up a little from the bottom. 

If needed, I think getting cozy with a fence or guardrail might be a solution, but the best would be a taller step stool.

I am haunted by waters

#9 lprdshrk

lprdshrk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 31 December 2023 - 10:53 PM

On the F350, there is no way I can reach the top of my storm flaps, so tend to leave them on in all but the best conditions.  If window ventilation/light is needed , I try to roll them up a little from the bottom. 

If needed, I think getting cozy with a fence or guardrail might be a solution, but the best would be a taller step stool.

I just checked out the local hardware store. There was a decent priced 4 foot step ladder, but since space is so limited I think I might just continue to use the stool and cooler, but strap the cooler onto the stool. I did eye the picnic table when the storm came in, but I opted for the stool/cooler option instead.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users