Photo
- - - - -

Which Sealant, Adhesive or Caulk to Use? Depends on the Application.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 22 April 2023 - 01:40 AM

There are many threads on various repairs we make to our campers and often suggestions on Adhesives, Sealants and Caulks are made.

Frequently there is little or no discussion of the appropriate sealant, adhesive or caulk based on the materials involved or the specific application (e.g. roof leaks, window sealing or fasteners, Aluminum, Steel, etc).

Consider that there are literally many dozens if not hundreds of different sealants, adhesives or caulks.

Why so many, are they performing similar jobs?  The short answer is no.

Besides the fact that there are numerous different manufacturers of adhesives, sealants and caulk, digging in a bit we find that each manufacturer may have numerous different products each designed for a specific application and/or material.

Aside from brand differences (or similarities) and marketing claims there is a lot of chemical and structural engineering behind these products so it makes sense to learn a bit about selecting the appropriate product for your application and materials.

Here are some informative links that may help sort all this out relative to RVs (the subject is much larger when considering buildings and other applications!): 

https://www.practica...nuj3_JE-_0DYD_s

https://www.thervgeeks.com/rv-caulk/

https://askthervengi...zy-amazon-list/

and a serious read on adhesives and sealants (pdf document)

https://users.fs.cvu...nd Sealants.pdf

I hope this is incentive to dig further before simply being overwhelmed by all the choices at Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, Menards, McGuckin, OSH, West Marine, Autozone, O'Reilleys or whatever and just using something because of brand identity or someone said that is what they use (for who knows what reason or application).

Wishing all successful sticking and sealing wherever you may do it.

:-)

Craig

Edited by ckent323, 22 April 2023 - 01:48 AM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#2 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 22 April 2023 - 01:55 AM

Thanks Craig. I'll definitely read up on it. Not that joe schmuck uses 9930 isn't useful information. Sometimes I wonder if I haven't just gotten lucky in my choice of sealants.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#3 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 22 April 2023 - 04:26 AM

Wow, I wonder if the butyl tape I have is eternabond. Kind of explains why my fan has so many screws. I use silicone on the inside of screw holes but that's about it.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#4 TacomaAustin

TacomaAustin

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 22 April 2023 - 12:19 PM

A "dear previous owner" of my camper used clear silicone sealant on the "outside" of my roof screws - with extra slathers of this goop around the base of the roof vent.

I'm sure that the "DPO" meant well - but I would have used a polyurethane sealant - which is at least paintable.

Andrew in Austin, TX

#5 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 22 April 2023 - 01:58 PM

Hi Craig....

That's your story and you're sticking with it ?

DG

#6 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 22 April 2023 - 02:51 PM

Nice, thanks.  It's interesting because over the years, I've had discussions with both ATC and FWC about what products to use for various applications.  I have to say, they both have different opinions but in the end, I'd use what they say they use....

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#7 mobilelists

mobilelists

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 May 2023 - 12:30 AM

OK, so what would be best for sealing the gap around a large battery cable going though a hole in aluminum? Nice to have it slightly flexible, not silicone and it would be pretty much shielded from UV.

Thanks for any suggestions.

#8 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 05 May 2023 - 02:53 AM

mobilelists,

If going from inside to outside (or vise versa) in roof or side of camper:

1) Buy a rubber grommet large enough for the cable to pass through to go over the sharp Aluminum edges
2) Push the cable through

3) If on roof and this is for solar I would use an entry gland over the rubber grommet

4) Seal with 3M 4300 or equivalent if on roof.  If on side the rubber grommet may fit tight enough.

Here is one source of rubber grommets.  I got mine from my local Ace Hardware.

https://www.amazon.c...5975661509&th=1

I hope this is helpful,

Craig

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#9 mobilelists

mobilelists

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 May 2023 - 03:11 AM

Craig,

Thanks for the sound advice. I am an idiot...I have a couple rubber grommets that will fit perfectly sitting in my shop. I will use them tomorrow.

The battery cables enter on the side wall and are somewhat protected. This is just additional protection.

Pat

#10 EcoVntr

EcoVntr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 22 March 2024 - 08:49 PM

Hello other Wanderers.... Continuing with the discussion of exterior sealants [forward bumpers and filling screw holes] and exterior trim screws [rusting and replacement].

Screws - Trim:

• I have noticed exterior trim screws starting rust [either the head of the crew and/or the threaded area] and was curious if anyone has a link to replace the trim screws with the original #8 x 3/4" or the next size up for those that no longer tighten up [#6 3/4"]. 
  • After reading some other threads on screw metal types, still not clear if stainless will be an issue? Or, should the replacement be a zinc coating?
  • Polyurethane sealant for sealing the screw holes? has anyone done this for the trim screw holes on the exterior of the FWC? Just dab on the screw threads or dab into the FWS trim hole?

Polyurethane sealant:

• After seeing the trim screws rusting, is water trickling in from the exterior trim edges? Has anyone placed a bead of the sealant along the vertical and horizontal edges of the trim edges?
  • Forward bumper OLD sealant has dried and pulled away from the rubber bumpers that rest against the truck bed. Any luck with the sealant adhering to the rubber and aluminum siding of the FWC?
  • I’ll continue to read through the sealant types to figure out what I might need.

Thanks for any input on the items above.

Attached Thumbnails

• Slide1.JPG
  • Slide2.JPG
  • Slide3.JPG
  • Slide4.JPG

Edited by EcoVntr, 22 March 2024 - 08:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users