• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nvjeeper

nvjeeper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 April 2023 - 11:39 PM

New to Alaskan campers and just picked up a 72? Installed a new battery and have no 12 volt going into camper. Any ideas?

#2 PNWalaskanCamper

PNWalaskanCamper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 April 2023 - 11:53 PM

So your camper has an electrical system, it just isn't connected to the truck to charge the battery? there's different ways to do it, but I installed one of these, a battery isolator, that will allow it to charge from your alternator while the vehicle is running, and it will automatically switch between charging the car battery and charging the camper battery, and it will work like a one way valve, running down the camper battery won't deplete your car battery.   https://www.amazon.c...uct/B00WTAFR84/

You just need to run a thick battery cable between your car battery and the camper battery, with this in the middle.

next steps would be adding solar panels, charge controller, and ability to charge from 120v shore power, but those are a lot more work. 

#3 nvjeeper

nvjeeper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 April 2023 - 11:59 PM

The battery is charged, 12.8 volts and is setup to charge while driving. Still no power to the inside.

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 27 April 2023 - 12:22 AM

Sounds like you have a fuse/circuit breaker open, a switch open, or a bad connection between your battery and the positive bus, or… a ground issue.  It’s time to get the multimeter out.

I am haunted by waters

#5 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 12:27 AM

As W Sagebrush mentioned get a meter or 12v test light and start tracing the pos. and neg. wires till you lose voltage.

#6 nvjeeper

nvjeeper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 12:29 AM

Thanks, just checked at the circuit breaker and have no power. Will look into it more tomorrow

#7 nvjeeper

nvjeeper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 12:30 AM

The previous owner said the top had to be raised to have power. So I wasn't sure if it had a switch that wasn't getting contact

#8 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,974 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 27 April 2023 - 04:51 PM

kill switch?  On factory installs that's a silver push/pull switch

#9 nvjeeper

nvjeeper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 05:00 PM

I did see a toggle switch on the back side of the cabinet above the fridge. I will give it a try. Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users