14 replies to this topic

#1 CreekRob

CreekRob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 May 2023 - 03:22 PM

Many truck have a tow/haul mode that basically shifts shift (heh) points, and depending on the vehicle, engine, and tranny does other stuff to optimize for towing and hauling. With some trucks one can set up such a mode with some OBD magic.

On my previous trucks I generally didn't use it much, if at all. They were 4x4's and often when I needed more oomph I was in low range or going slow enough that manually setting the gear worked.

But with ligher campers like the FWC, etc, and with modern trannies up to 10 gears, do people use it on the regular? 

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 01 May 2023 - 03:51 PM

I use tow haul a lot, with or without camper/trailer.   Being able to brake on a downhill, and have the truck also downshift is a plus for speed control.  I don’t use it going uphill without a load.

I am haunted by waters

#3 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 01 May 2023 - 04:26 PM

I use mine a lot with my 1/2 ton Chevy and loaded Hawk. I engage it when climbing or descending long hills. In stop and go traffic around town with hills, I use tow/haul and low gears to get going. Once up to speed and on long, flat straight aways, I disengage the tow/haul. 4wd is only engaged when conditions get technical, in mud/sand or when launching the boat. With the tow/haul engaged, the truck automatically finds the right gearing and keeps the RPMs where they should be. Also helps quite a bit slowing the truck on down hill and saves me from riding the brakes.

#4 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 01 May 2023 - 10:31 PM

My loaded Grandby weighs less than 50% of the rated payload on my 2021 GMC 3500hd gas truck. I find the tow/haul mode is serious overkill both accelerating and descending hills for that load. I don’t use it. Every once in a while in a long steep highway descent I’ll use the “L” transmission setting so I can set the top gear to something less than 6th - typically 4th.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#5 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 02 May 2023 - 01:38 AM

Our truck has that feature, which I tried the first few times driving. But I completely forgot it exists! I couldn't really tell any difference at the speeds I drive... (slowly). I'd rather have good gas mileage than power. I figure the designers know the best RPM for typical situations.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#6 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,972 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 02 May 2023 - 04:27 AM

never use it, but do use the exhaust brake and manually shift the auto on steep (8% or more) hills.

#7 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 02 May 2023 - 02:30 PM

Many truck have a tow/haul mode that basically shifts shift (heh) points, and depending on the vehicle, engine, and tranny does other stuff to optimize for towing and hauling. With some trucks one can set up such a mode with some OBD magic.

On my previous trucks I generally didn't use it much, if at all. They were 4x4's and often when I needed more oomph I was in low range or going slow enough that manually setting the gear worked.

But with ligher campers like the FWC, etc, and with modern trannies up to 10 gears, do people use it on the regular? 

What is the truck you are currently running? 

1/2, 3/4 or 1 ton?

Gas or Diesel?

What is your camper load and how close to GVWR are you?

It sounds like with the heavy duty trucks, the feature is not as needed or utilized with a light camper.

#8 CreekRob

CreekRob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 03:42 PM

What is the truck you are currently running? 

1/2, 3/4 or 1 ton?

Gas or Diesel?

What is your camper load and how close to GVWR are you?

It sounds like with the heavy duty trucks, the feature is not as needed or utilized with a light camper.

Ram 2500 4x4 gasser. I don't have a Hawk but have one on order. In my previous trucks with various loads and campers the feature was OK, not great. I tend to agree that with the bigger trucks it probably has even less utility. But now that engines can shut off cylinders, etc, it might have more of a fuel consumption consequence than what I was used to back in the day.

#9 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 02 May 2023 - 04:00 PM

Ram 2500 4x4 gasser. I don't have a Hawk but have one on order. In my previous trucks with various loads and campers the feature was OK, not great. I tend to agree that with the bigger trucks it probably has even less utility. But now that engines can shut off cylinders, etc, it might have more of a fuel consumption consequence than what I was used to back in the day.

That will be a very capable set up. You will just need to test out the T/H feature when your camper gets mounted to see if you feel any benefits. My 5.3L V-8 has direct fuel injection and cylinder deactivation. No matter what, the best MPG  I see is 16.

#10 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 02 May 2023 - 06:21 PM

Handy at times but I could live without it. Sometimes I even forget its there.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users