6 replies to this topic

#1 Sportsman Matt

Sportsman Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 02:40 AM

Ok here's another question, one that may become a reality next year depending on how the Truck Camper vs Travel Trailer debate goes between me, the girlfriend, and the rest of my family.

I'm looking at a new Palomino B-1500 pop up truck camper for around $8000. Question is how does the canvas sides hold up in heavy rains? Reason I'm asking is that often I'm out in the early spring and one weekend in particular it seems to downpour every evening, with high winds and thunderstorms rolling through atleast once during the trip.

My concern is how well will a pop up do in these conditions? I know my Coleman tent did ok, but did see a little moisture if you rubbed up against the sides.

Is this also going to be an issue? Last thing I would want to do is go to bed late at night and wake up wet because I accidentally touched the canvas sides of the camper. That wouldn't be fun.

So if anyone has any info they can share or enlighten me about it, please let me know.

Also I'm not pulling the trigger on this right now, this is going to be an early springtime final decision, if it does happen. But still interested, as my other option is a M-800 or M-6601 but now looking at $12,000-13,000 range.

Thanks

Matt
Fly Fishing the North East, New England, and Eventually the world.

#2 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 19 September 2009 - 03:02 AM

We had a hell of a storm last Saturday in Eureka in the San Juans and the next night more of the same with a little extra hail and no leaks in my 12 year old FWC. I have used a little seam sealer to keep it dry. Condensation is an issue, on the ceiling. I imagine any small warm space in a cool environment and limited air exchange is going to cause this. A small towel helps manage it.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#3 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,775 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 19 September 2009 - 04:06 AM

The FWC and ATC liner material is NOT the old school canvas that would leak if rubed and touched. It will only leak around the seams if the stiching did not self close around the holes or olded liners were not seam sealed.

Or if like somebody that tried to make a new non sealed window by using a hot light bulbPosted Image . (just teasing)

There are other possible places that could happen but on the whole we stay dry and the inside stays dry from the rain.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#4 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 19 September 2009 - 01:35 PM

Just ran across this: Pop-Up Trailer “Canvas” Care
Posted by Russ and Tiña DeMaris Published in Pop-Up Maintenance, do-it-yourself

Many folks make the transition from tent camping to full-blown RVs by purchasing a pop-up trailer. If you’re new to the pop-up world and wonder about how aspects of care, take heart, we’ll be adding pop-up tips from time to time.

What about the “canvas” sides of your pop-up? First, not all that sides a pop-up trailer is necessarily canvas. Some manufacturers will slip in a little (or a lot) of vinyl material. Vinyl, as in the stuff many car and restaurant seats are made of. Caring for vinyl is a bit different than for canvas.

First, NEVER use silicon containing products to clean or “treat” vinyl fabric. Silicon can harden vinyl and make it more susceptible to cracking. If the vinyl gets dirty, a simple multi-purpose spray cleaner (”409″ for example) followed with a wipe down with a clean rag will generally clear most stuff. Tree sap or road tar may require the use of a “bug and tar” remover, but read the label of the remover to make sure it’s safe for use on vinyl roofs.

Remember too, that vinyl does not breath, so condensation is to be expected. If your wake up in the morning with a pop-up full of air breathers, you’re probably not leaking, just condensing!

Canvas does breath, and if not cared for can easily mildew. NEVER store a wet pop-up closed up. If you have to “head for home” while it’s raining, do so, but try and find a place to park your pop-up out of the rain when you get there, and allow it to dry thoroughly before closing it up. Vinyl too, can develop mildew, so getting things dried out before storage is important.

Most canvas is treated to make it repel water, and cleaning methods are important. First, try to BRUSH off dirt wherever possible. If that won’t cut it, then apply a LITTLE water and use a soft bristle brush to work out the dirt. Failing in that, spray the dirty area with a water hose, but try to avoid getting the entire fabric wet. DON’T try to “car wash” your tent material!

If your canvas has lost its water repellence, follow your manufacturer’s instructions on how to treat it. If you can’t find your manual, a general rule is to use a silicon spray product (for CANVAS NOT VINYL) like Scotch-guard on both the inside and outside of the canvas walls and flaps. BE CAREFUL about safety, read label directions and pay particular attention to information about inhaling these products!

Seams leaks can be a real pain in the neck. Kenyon’s “K-Kote” seam sealer (sold in many outdoor stores or available on the Internet) is a recommended product if you’ve got a stubborn seam leak.

What if your canvas is terminally ill? Don’t give up the trailer, you can get a new canvas top for your pop-up. CanvasReplacements.com sells a wide range of replacement pop-up tops. For example, a Nomad replacement top can be had for less than $900. That’s a lot of scratch, but if you love your pop-up, it may be your answer.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#5 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 19 September 2009 - 06:09 PM

you wrote:

<< Palomino B-1500 >>

I hope you like that chip board construction (OSB) . . .

:)

OK, I know, so I'm a little bias, lol

You should really look how those are built.

Look under the camper the the base.

Looks at the interior wall construction.

Etc.

Remember ... "you get what you pay for"

Attached Files

• Attached File  osb.bmp   417.43K   210 downloads

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#6 Sportsman Matt

Sportsman Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 02:29 AM

Thanks for the reminder Stan, I totally forgot about the OSB chipboard some manufacturers still use to save money.

After looking around at all the stuff out there, I'm going to keep going on the home built truck camper project.

Not that I was looking into a pop up, but the price seemed fair, but then again it's all particle board and chipboard, not something that will last past 4 or 5 years without daily maintenance. I've always had hardsided campers and the idea of a pop up just hit my curiosity.

Thanks for the info though.

Matt
Fly Fishing the North East, New England, and Eventually the world.

#7 RonSchon

RonSchon

Bailmatic

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 03:34 PM

I've slept in mine in heavy rain about 3 times - just regular rain a few more - never had any water inside. Since I haven't used a heater yet, that might create condensation, but with no heater running I haven't had any condensation. While it's only sleeping in the rain about 6 nights - the camper is 14 years old - seems like good proof to me.

I was out in Grand Junction this weekend at an event, and about 1030pm the wind kicked up with some rain. The wind was clocking over 40mph gusts with a steady over 20mph. All dry.
The Trial of Miles... Miles of Trials.
2004 Dodge 2500 Crew Short Gas
1995 FWC Hawk
2005 Toy Tun Access Cab 4x2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users