4 replies to this topic

#1 kmehr

kmehr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 22 May 2023 - 03:38 PM

Thought I would go ahead and start a new thread dedicated to our brand spanking new camper, a 2023 Outfitter Juno 8.5.

Hauling it on a Ram 2500 Cummins.  Has Timbrens (mandatory if you're looking for a camper this size on a coil rear truck!), which it handles well.  When I bought the truck, I was pretty much set on the move to a travel trailer with our 2nd son on the way, then we went on a final trip in our old Jayco and remembered all the reasons we went with a truck camper in the first place.  If I had pulled the trigger on the Juno first, I would likely have gone to a single rear wheel 3500 with the auto-level rear air suspension, if for no other reason than the sticker on the door.  That being said, with the Timbrens on my 2500, I can't really imagine there's much difference at all.  The rest of the truck is identical to a 3500 which has a 4,000lbs+ payload.  Plus the rear coils ride really really nicely unloaded.  The Cummins doesn't even break a sweat.

Eventually (when I get it put back together), the plan is to flat tow my 1970 FJ40 behind the rig.

Specs for the camper- 2x175W Renogy panels, 2x100ah Renogy lithium batteries, microwave, extra fan, Torklift steps, Yakima roof tracks, pull out bunk over the dinette, gray fiberglass.  Other than that, standard features.

Weighs right at 2,660lbs with a full tank of fresh water.

After the first trip, we're loving the camper.  The extra tent room is a game changer.  While both of our boys are a little too small to sleep out there right now, it makes a great play room in the rain, and our dog had a nice time sleeping out there.  The extra overall width compared to our Jayco was really nice on the rainy two day trip. The toilet and shower are sooo nice and scored a bunch of points with my wife.

I went with the microwave since we have little guys who eat a lot of chicken nuggets etc and sized the solar thinking it would eat a ton of power.  Probably went about 3 times the size I needed.  Batteries were still at 89% in the morning after cooking, using the furnace etc and it being a really rainy could few days ahead of time.

I'll keep updating as we use it more, and include lots of pics!

IMG 4142
IMG 4106
IMG 4151

Former- '83 Jayco Sportster 7 (fully rebuilt, sold) on 05 Dodge 2500 Cummins (sold)

Current: '23 Outfitter Juno 8.5 on '22 Ram 2500 Cummins

1970 Toyota FJ40

#2 corybrown50

corybrown50

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 22 May 2023 - 03:43 PM

A great upgrade from the Jayco for sure! It looks amazing and a great way to get the family out to play. It couldn't have been delivered at a better time to take advantage of the summer. 

Enjoy!!!!!

#3 DarinH

DarinH

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 118 posts
  • Locationwestern Colorado

Posted 24 May 2023 - 03:36 AM

That pop-out bed is a nice feature. If I still had kids coming along with us, I'd be down for one of those. Our kids are all grown, so enjoy them for the short years you have them at home.

#4 kmehr

kmehr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 07:30 PM

got another trip in for Father's Day weekend. Loving the camper!  I installed the Hell Wig Big Wig rear sway bar and it helped a ton with on road body roll.  Now I'm dealing with some scary rocking side to side and backwards and forwards while off-road, especially in off camber situations, so I've got some big shocks on order from Accutune.  going with the custom tuned Fox 2.5s with the DSC adjusters.  Quite spendy, but they work with the OEM springs, and im hoping the DSC adjusters will allow me to balance camper control with unloaded comfort.

IMG 4238
IMG 4245
IMG 4230
IMG 4234
IMG 3262
IMG 4227

Edited by kmehr, 21 June 2023 - 07:36 PM.

Former- '83 Jayco Sportster 7 (fully rebuilt, sold) on 05 Dodge 2500 Cummins (sold)

1970 Toyota FJ40

#5 kmehr

kmehr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 April 2024 - 08:16 PM

Realize I haven't updated this thread in a while!  I got 5 trips in last year, including a week long elk hunt.  Am loving the camper.  My only real complaint with the design is the grey tank fills up FAST at only 16 gallons.  Seems like two showers and you still have plenty of fresh water but the shower drain is backing up.

My other regret beyond way overbuilding the solar system (and neither is much of a regret) is the yakima tracks.  I thought I would put bikes up there, but I didn't understand how tall that would make the rig, just how high off the ground you are when standing up there (about 10ft!), so I really don't know how I'd really even get anything moderately heavy like a bike up there.  I do have a plan to build a small receiver frame to put a bike rack on the rear, so stay tuned for that.

The DSC/Accutune shocks completely fixed my off-road bounce issue, I couldn't be happier with them.  The ride is subtly better than stock but definitely have a lot more control.  Also Accutune was great to work with and they have excellent customer service.

I am making one more suspension change- have ordered the Super Springs Super Coils for the rear.  I guess color me one of those "should have bought a 1 ton" guys...  I don't really like how the rear suspension seems to be riding completely on the Timbrens with the camper, as the big bumps feel pretty brutal with no give.  The Super Coils are advertised as having a 2,475lb payload for each spring, and being progressive so won't affect unloaded ride much.  They are also OEM ride height.  My hope is that a heavier rated spring will take some of the burden off the Timbrens and they can be in a lighter springs rate compression zone, but still provide the necessary stability lacking from the inboard coil design.  I may end up needing to down size the Timbrens to something lighter, but time will tell.  Timbrens plus HD coils may make things wayyy too stiff.  Or who knows, my bigger shock may provide enough stability I don't need the Timbrens at all.  Thuren just released a quick change "boogie bump load control system" that looks pretty dang sweet, though $$$.

Edited by kmehr, 02 April 2024 - 08:17 PM.

1970 Toyota FJ40

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users