• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 21 September 2009 - 04:17 PM

Well, I'm sitting here, waiting for my (technician) license to be issued, wondering what radio to get. I don't want to mess with the thing as a contester or DX'er, I just want to be able to get out a message in an emergency if necessary.

Is HF meaningful or extravagant?

I'm also figuring on the purpose-built Diamond antenna...

#2 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 21 September 2009 - 04:33 PM

boy there are a lot of opinions on that.

1. the more bands available, the better your odds of getting a contact.
2. dont get a QRP rig, FT-817, icom 703, just not enough power - for an emergency rig.
3. 6m and 220 on up is useless - my opinion. 10m is dead at this time.
4. 2m is most useful - my opinion
5. 40m and 20m with an "END-FEDZ" is remarkable...but can the guy in texas help?
6. get a 5/8 wave 2m antenna, a shorter 1/4 wave is not as good, height matters.
7. mag mount 2m works very well, drilling holes is cool...but real world benefit is ????
8. no less than 50 watt on 2m
9. a lot of memories means you can preload all the repeaters along a trip - rec min of 200
10. get the programming software when you buy the radio - dont put it off.
11. drink a beer.
12. what took you so long?
13. Bob will tell you he will be monitoring but really wont! yuk yuk....hi Bob.
14. go do the general right away, its just as easy.

i dont know about the 8900, but thats because my experience with 10, 6, 220 has not been good. HF is much more useful than those bands. imo
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#3 davinski

davinski

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 04:40 PM

Mark:

Well, VHF/UHF is nice for getting out, talking on the road and caravaning....but probably won't help you much in the back woods. I think HF is what you need. Much better at getting out from the hinterlands where many of us spend our time. Besides, I love listening to HF while driving. Even a few QSOs helps pass the time on long drives. Sometimes, I will have the radio on while prepping a meal and listen for some DX. Never hurts to talk to someone in Russia or somewhere far away. I find that out of the city and with little noise around, I do get much better signals and better signal reports.

Of course, you will have to have a nice HF antenna, but I am sure of anyone, you could figure that out. I've a screwdriver. Love it, but there are some other options out there.

Right now, I have an Icom 706 MKII. Does 2m and 440 but also the HF. Very nice. Their new radio for this is also quite nice. I often will run the 706 with a vhf/uhf dual band so I can listen to multiple frequencies at the same time. the 706 is a tad inconvenient for usual repeater use. One of these days I might try 6m.....the "magic band".

Good luck and let us know what you do. Maybe we can get a sked on HF one day.

Dave

PS waiting for the rest of your pictures from the "great loop"
PPS we'll have to meet up one day.....your wife's cooking looks very very good!

#4 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:10 PM

The other radio thread- Emergency Communications- Ham Radio

I'd been searching for it, and couldn't find it until a minute ago.

#5 davinski

davinski

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:34 PM

The other radio thread- Emergency Communications- Ham Radio

I'd been searching for it, and couldn't find it until a minute ago.

Mark, that is a good thread.

I also use the camper as a radio shack. I can run them when driving, but often really run them when stopped. In back, I can set up a 100w rig or the QRP rig for fun. I've got the screwdriver antenna for mobile, and a very very nice Buddipole system for when stationary. I'm looking to get a portable mask so that I can run some simple dipoles and the like. I've power to the back all ready with powerpole connectors. I play more radio on the road and traveling than I do at home. Even have PSK capabilities with the laptop.

Sounds like you are in the market for new toys. Never hurts to buy new toys.

Dave

#6 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:08 PM

There are plenty of people here with more experience, but I'll chime in anyway.

The 8900R was interesting to me, but I ultimately decided that 99% of where I go is covered by 2m repeaters. (Start looking around at repeaters in your area. You may find that, like Arizona, repeater coverage is AMAZING.) I went with an Icom IC-v8000 75 watt 2m. (BTW, I've yet to mount in in my truck. Better get that done before the Pop-Up Bowl!) It was much cheaper than the 8900 ($200 vs. $400) -- although harder to mount. Further, Icom is built in Japan while Yaesu is in China. Also, the Yaseu -- according to eham reviews -- are significantly more reliable. I was looking at the cheap 2m only Yaesu, unfortunately it had 2-3 people complaining of sudden failures: not acceptable for emergency gear.

Don't forget eham.net

Anyway, here's my advice. DO NOT SPEND A LOT OF MONEY ON YOUR FIRST RIG! Buy something cheap to get started with. Find a used 40watt 2m rig at a local hamfest/swap. I'm guessing $120 should do it. Buy a Larson whip and mag mount (right around $100).

After you've played with it awhile, you'll be ready to decide how to spend more money.

Sorry for the rambling...

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users