47 replies to this topic

#31 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,346 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 17 July 2023 - 02:39 PM

interesting thought, could some city's become un-liveable in the summer in the future? Phoenix?

It is looking that way. What captures my attention is the incredible amount of power that is being used now to enable people to live in arid, desert areas now.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#32 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,598 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 17 July 2023 - 03:40 PM

<snip>

What captures my attention is the incredible amount of power that is being used now to enable people to live in arid, desert areas now.

Significantly understated!  

I am haunted by waters

#33 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 18 July 2023 - 02:16 AM

Worked with a guy back in early 90s, he and his expectant wife decided to move to Glendale AZ, suburb of Phoenix. (I live in Ventura County CA) Low housing prices, indoor schools, etc. My reaction: "I love the desert but...it"s the desert!" People make decisions based on short-term economic realities without considering the long-term. His utility bills are astronomical! And his descriptions of the sandstorms...haboobs, I believe they're called...are frightening. 

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#34 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 19 July 2023 - 02:28 AM

interesting thought, could some city's become un-liveable in the summer in the future? Phoenix?

While the answer to this is a definite Yes, the flip side also exists. In 50 years most of California's agriculture will no longer exist. But areas historically considered too cold to grow anything will become the new agriculture areas. Much of central Canada is expected to become the new bread basket to the world. It would be quite interesting to live long enough to see the changes that will happen over the next 50 to 100 years. The world will certainly be different from the one we know now.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#35 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,976 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 19 July 2023 - 02:57 AM

While the answer to this is a definite Yes, the flip side also exists. In 50 years most of California's agriculture will no longer exist. But areas historically considered too cold to grow anything will become the new agriculture areas. Much of central Canada is expected to become the new bread basket to the world. It would be quite interesting to live long enough to see the changes that will happen over the next 50 to 100 years. The world will certainly be different from the one we know now.

If by central Canada you mean Alberta and Saskatchewan, we are currently experiencing drought conditions… our bread basket has dried up.

#36 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,598 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 19 July 2023 - 10:51 PM

<snip>

It would be quite interesting to live long enough to see the changes that will happen over the next 50 to 100 years. The world will certainly be different from the one we know now.

Ted, no doubt about the world being different, but I don’t want to live long enough to see those differences.  IMO, the plutocrats are going kill us off as a species.

We have met the enemy and he is us.

Pogo

I am haunted by waters

#37 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 24 July 2023 - 06:04 PM

Here in Bend we've gotten a break from our heat wave, temperatures forecast to be at or below averages. 

IMG_20230724_105321.jpg

On the downside, smoke has moved in from fires to the south. Haziness is visible in just a hundred yards of viewing distance.

IMG_20230724_110029.jpg

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#38 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,346 posts

Posted 25 July 2023 - 02:30 AM

Here in Bend we've gotten a break from our heat wave, temperatures forecast to be at or below averages. 

attachicon.gifIMG_20230724_105321.jpg

On the downside, smoke has moved in from fires to the south. Haziness is visible in just a hundred yards of viewing distance.

attachicon.gifIMG_20230724_110029.jpg

Perhaps we are getting a break also. This evening it is ten degrees cooler (78) than this time last evening (88). It is still darn hot for here.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#39 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 25 July 2023 - 02:35 AM

The crazy thing, sort of, is that with it cooler I can open windows earlier in the evening to bring in cooler air... BUT... when I open windows I immediately smell the smoke strongly in the house. 

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#40 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,346 posts

Posted 25 July 2023 - 02:42 AM

The crazy thing, sort of, is that with it cooler I can open windows earlier in the evening to bring in cooler air... BUT... when I open windows I immediately smell the smoke strongly in the house. 

We had a small fire to the south of us that brought in a slight smell of smoke yesterday when we opened up. It can go either way in a blink of an eye.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users