• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 14 June 2023 - 03:49 AM

Where are folks getting water along the way to your destinations? Any tips or suggestions such as rest stops, gas stations, Love's truck stops? I know it truly depends on where you are and where you are headed, but just looking for some suggestions on "go to" places that are a sure bet to fill the fresh water tank.

Edited by Cpt Davenport, 14 June 2023 - 03:50 AM.

#2 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 14 June 2023 - 04:50 AM

We make an overnight stop in a commercial campground periodically for laundry, showers, dumping porta-pottis, and garbage, replenishing supplies such as water, food, propane, using their power to fully charge our batteries, etc.  

This has saved us, especially with battery charging when there is extended lack of solar. 

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#3 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 14 June 2023 - 02:15 PM

We make an overnight stop in a commercial campground periodically for laundry, showers, dumping porta-pottis, and garbage, replenishing supplies such as water, food, propane, using their power to fully charge our batteries, etc.  

This has saved us, especially with battery charging when there is extended lack of solar. 

Paul

We too make use of a conventional CG at times for the same reasons. 

#4 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 14 June 2023 - 02:22 PM

My questions stems from not wanting to drive long distances with a full tank of water if we can avoid it. The weight of the water is like lugging another (my size!) person along. More weight = worse fuel economy. We leave the CA coast on Saturday for Grand Teton, and will have many miles on the highway between camp spots. I would like to get as close as I can to our destinations with minimal water, then fill up somewhere near by before we set up camp. 

#5 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 14 June 2023 - 02:43 PM

I-overlander or other camping apps. Search water.

#6 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 14 June 2023 - 02:55 PM

My questions stems from not wanting to drive long distances with a full tank of water if we can avoid it. The weight of the water is like lugging another (my size!) person along. More weight = worse fuel economy. We leave the CA coast on Saturday for Grand Teton, and will have many miles on the highway between camp spots. I would like to get as close as I can to our destinations with minimal water, then fill up somewhere near by before we set up camp. 

We each have our vision of how we want to travel....for me carrying a full 26 gallons in the Hawk is like keeping as close as possible a full tank of fuel while in the boondocks...so that I if I need it, I have it....on pavement, more options to replenish both...MPGs, questionable how much a couple of hundred pounds will affect MPG, since most of our mileage is determined by pushing the Tundra/Hawk weight/sail down the road and of course our speed/RPM range..

Bottom line is do what makes you worry free and enjoy the trip!  Have fun!

#7 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,772 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 14 June 2023 - 03:12 PM

We each have our vision of how we want to travel....for me carrying a full 26 gallons in the Hawk is like keeping as close as possible a full tank of fuel while in the boondocks...so that I if I need it, I have it....on pavement, more options to replenish both...MPGs, questionable how much a couple of hundred pounds will affect MPG, since most of our mileage is determined by pushing the Tundra/Hawk weight/sail down the road and of course our speed/RPM range..

Bottom line is do what makes you worry free and enjoy the trip!  Have fun!

I agree. Using my house water that is filtered and through a water softener, I have a known source of water that is trusted. If water is needed on the trip then I search out opportunities. Some people bring a filter to run it through as it fills. Some have a inline filter that filters as you use it.

It comes down to individual preferences how you use the water and what trust you have toward the water being used. Some add a little bleach when filling up on the road to the tank supply.

Others bring bottle water supply and consume that and use the tank water for other usages.

It's all good, water is a necessity, use your method of choice.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#8 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 14 June 2023 - 05:08 PM

I too like the security of always having a topped off tank. I have just be finding it not necessary to be full while driving on the highways in between locations. Just looking for fill options to top off before going off the beaten path.

#9 Beate

Beate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 14 June 2023 - 05:15 PM

""Others bring bottle water supply and consume that and use the tank water for other usages."""

That's us.  As we always drive with a rental RV we never know what the former renter did into the watertank. So we never drink this water, we use it only for shower and dishwashing. For cooking and drinking we use bottled water.

But we always try to have the watertank full. We ask for water on gasstations, when we fill up our gastank or sometimes even rustical campground, on state parks or Nationalparks, are offering water and dumping.

#10 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 14 June 2023 - 05:21 PM

""Others bring bottle water supply and consume that and use the tank water for other usages."""

That's us.  As we always drive with a rental RV we never know what the former renter did into the watertank. So we never drink this water, we use it only for shower and dishwashing. For cooking and drinking we use bottled water.

But we always try to have the watertank full. We ask for water on gasstations, when we fill up our gastank or sometimes even rustical campground, on state parks or Nationalparks, are offering water and dumping.

Thanks, we do the same as you. Water in holding tank is only for showers and dishes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users