• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 plug ugly

plug ugly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 June 2023 - 11:12 PM

do they invariablly always have some stink to them?  Im debating upgrading to a camper with a toilet, but the wife is worried about stink as the one we went to look at had some smell, but had been sitting for a year or two.

#2 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 28 June 2023 - 04:28 PM

Without getting into a long post about this, I tend to be in the same camp as your wife. I don’t want to cook, eat, or sleep with rv bathroom smell, and in the tiny space of a camper someone with a good nose will smell it even in the best conditions.

I’ve become a fan of carrying a well scrubbed portapotty in a closed cabinet in my Grandby and using it outside in a tent if possible. If the plastic gets to the point where you feel like you can’t get it adequately clean, you recycle it and buy a new one for under $150. I like the Thetford 345. I also bought the Thetford coated nylon carrying bag for use in other vehicles but I don’t use the bag in the camper cabinet.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 28 June 2023 - 05:07 PM

We have a Northern Lite hard shell.  The toilets don’t smell if they are dumped and cleaned regularly.  You need to use a good black tank additive, preferably biodegradable, after every dump.  Using the vent fan when stinking it up is advised.

For the gents, if you miss, clean it up and spray with a mild vinegar water solution.

I am haunted by waters

#4 michelle_east_county

michelle_east_county

Advanced Member

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 June 2023 - 06:30 PM

Our Hallmark Ute has a cassette toilet and it’s fine as long as you use the recommended amount of appropriate black tank enzyme chemicals, which is a greater proportion concentration than with marine toilet and black water tank.

Also check size before you buy. The cassette toilet in ours sits close enough towards center that what would be a tolerable amount of knee room if toilet were closer to back wall is, on this one, really too tight at my 5’9” height.

#5 BlueSky

BlueSky

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 28 June 2023 - 10:27 PM

They stink, period.  I've been in lots of campers with bathrooms and if you use them for number 2 the camper is going to smell at some point. There's a lot of plumbing beyond what you can scrub clean, and campers do sit for long periods. My simple solution is to use the camper bathroom for number 1 only, and take a walk to the campground vault toilet for number 2 (or when boondocking go dig a hole).  I can't believe they put toilets in truck campers.  30 foot Airstream, ok fine maybe.  Truck camper?  No way.

On may last trip in southern CO I saw a Ford Transit camper van with a big metal rear tray.  On the rear tray was a square-shaped structure, tall and big enough to stand in. It had a vent on top. I have a feeling I know what it was, and frankly not a bad idea.

#6 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 29 June 2023 - 01:35 AM

My Thetford doesn't stink. You do need to keep the appropriate chemicals in it. I never use it inside except in case of emergency. Of course its true as soon as you sit down someone will come by :)

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#7 CreekRob

CreekRob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 July 2023 - 08:37 PM

The thing is even if scruplously cleaned they sometimes end up smelling like clean toilets. Better than the alternative, but still obnoxious to some. Not to mention the odors that come from use. A truck camper is a pretty small space with only so much ventilation and one needs to either live with it or go (heh) with another solution than a built in toilet.

#8 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 13 July 2023 - 07:03 PM

The  cassette toilet in our Hallmark rarely stinks. I can only think of one time when we had an odor and that was because it was very full!

Full disclosure, it is used primarily for night time visits and we use public facilities when ever possible which seems to work for us.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#9 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 13 July 2023 - 08:43 PM

I only use mine if its raining or too cold to use outside. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users