• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#11 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 11 July 2023 - 08:46 PM

2011 Eagle... after 1st year I cried uncle. The foam was killing my back. I was fortunate that there was a factory 2 hours south. Here is the composition of the foam you want to buy from wherever you can local. I can say that I sleep as well or better than home since the change. So comfy !

Attached Thumbnails

• bed foam.png

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#12 erika

erika

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationDurango, CO

Posted 14 July 2023 - 01:42 AM

Some foam suppliers will glue two different types of foam together if you ask.

Perhaps a softer topper type 1/2" to 1" thick foam on top and a firmer foam with most of the desired overall thickness on the bottom.

Often the foam vendor can make suggestions/recommendations.

I hope this helps

Great idea, thank you! 

#13 erika

erika

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationDurango, CO

Posted 14 July 2023 - 01:44 AM

2011 Eagle... after 1st year I cried uncle. The foam was killing my back. I was fortunate that there was a factory 2 hours south. Here is the composition of the foam you want to buy from wherever you can local. I can say that I sleep as well or better than home since the change. So comfy !

Thank you, that is very helpful info! Great to hear you found a great solution. How thick of foam did you buy?

#14 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 14 July 2023 - 11:11 AM

I stayed with the 4" foam 

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#15 Defulmmt

Defulmmt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 14 July 2023 - 11:10 PM

I am experimenting with ditching the standard foam mattress in favor of a Thermarest 
Luxory Map pad.  I tried this on a 10 day trip to Utah this spring and was satisfied.  The pad is 3 inches thick and has an R6 rating.  We’ve placed 2 of them side by side which requires the extended bed out by at least 6 inches.

The 48 inch bed in our ATC Panther is a bit too tight and carrying the 2 extra cushions can be clumsy.  The R6 insulation value and ease of dealing with any condensation issues are pluses. So is the ability to easily remove the pads for cleaning etc.

I find the pads to be comfortable, I am 5’9” and 165#. 

2021 ATC Panther

2019 F250 Superduty

#16 markturnip

markturnip

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 July 2023 - 11:14 AM

Just ordered a king size 5cm memory foam mattress with the plan to cut it to size.

Do wonder if I should have ordered thicker.

#17 achiral

achiral

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 04:13 AM

We have the 2" thick mattresses, and simply went with a moderately dense open cell foam. This is just adequate for side sleeping, and more than good for back sleeping. Cost was quite reasonable (<$100 to redo two mattresses), and there has been no degradation in a few years of use.

Foam Factory

Cushion, Lux Foam - High Quality

#18 erika

erika

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationDurango, CO

Posted 20 July 2023 - 11:55 PM

I am experimenting with ditching the standard foam mattress in favor of a Thermarest 
Luxory Map pad.  I tried this on a 10 day trip to Utah this spring and was satisfied.  The pad is 3 inches thick and has an R6 rating.  We’ve placed 2 of them side by side which requires the extended bed out by at least 6 inches.

The 48 inch bed in our ATC Panther is a bit too tight and carrying the 2 extra cushions can be clumsy.  The R6 insulation value and ease of dealing with any condensation issues are pluses. So is the ability to easily remove the pads for cleaning etc.

I find the pads to be comfortable, I am 5’9” and 165#. 

That's a great idea. The older Basecamp Thermarests we have are also R6 (probably 1.5" thick), and have been working well on top of 2" foam. I just ordered some of the above foam from my original post and we will see how this setup goes for a week in the mountains. Hopefully the moisture is not too much of an issue. 

#19 erika

erika

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationDurango, CO

Posted 20 July 2023 - 11:56 PM

We have the 2" thick mattresses, and simply went with a moderately dense open cell foam. This is just adequate for side sleeping, and more than good for back sleeping. Cost was quite reasonable (<$100 to redo two mattresses), and there has been no degradation in a few years of use.

Foam Factory

Cushion, Lux Foam - High Quality

Great to know, thank you! 

#20 erika

erika

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationDurango, CO

Posted 20 July 2023 - 11:58 PM

Just ordered a king size 5cm memory foam mattress with the plan to cut it to size.

Do wonder if I should have ordered thicker.

The memory foam turns to a brick in the cold mountain temps we camp in. We'll see how our new setup with the 2" foam plus thermarests works for a week. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mattress foam, 2001 hawk, foam density

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users