44 replies to this topic

#41 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,355 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 28 July 2023 - 04:48 PM

great trip report #1 !..   i just plugged in my new video monitor and the pics are GREAT !!!!

always checking out the google map with your posts.  i should be writing this stuff down - but it is recorded on the inter web...

this summer is a bit out of wack for us. listed my house for sale in pdx, and moving over to helens house in vancouver.  moving is a pain in the butt. who knows where all my fishing gear is...

and, the green appeared to be running pretty high ??  and since no mentions, i suspect you passed on the fishing ??

anyways, thx for the TR

go

As you mention, we expected to find high water and dangerous stream crossings so we put aside fly fishing on this trip. I also have the budget constraints with the decisions on what non-resident fishing licenses I want to purchase this season.

So, the decision was put off fly rod activity and later do a trip dedicated to flyfishing for wilderness trout.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#42 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,355 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 28 July 2023 - 04:52 PM

Congrats on finishing both the trip and the report, both are quite a feat. 

In reading the first lines of this last post, I thought to myself, "they are following the brown signs, I've always wanted to take a trip where I just followed the brown signs", and yes, keeping off the beaten tracks, heading to points of interest, and taking our time is always an aspiration, but never seems to be quite achievable, at least not yet, for whatever reason.  It's something you've seemed to hit the sweet spot on while wandering the west during June 2023.  I'll continue to aspire to a trip to follow the brown signs, have the ability to wander, and just arrive back "home" when the trip is over.  

Thanks for the ride, and for taking the time to post the story, it's very appreciated.

Ed, your comment was very kind and much appreciated, thank you! I believe a worthy life goal would be, as you say, follow every brown sign we come upon in our travels. :)

We never know what all is out there unless we make the effort and go take a look.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#43 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,300 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 28 July 2023 - 07:37 PM

Good idea to think about the cost of the out of state fishing fees.

There was a time not too ling ago that you didn't have to apply

for a equity loan on your home to by them.

Even our in state fees are getting higher.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#44 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 29 July 2023 - 03:01 PM

What a great trip...thanks for bringing us along!

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#45 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 02 August 2023 - 08:55 PM

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your trips.

I especially enjoyed your pictures from Green River Lakes. It has been about 20 years now. We loaded out packs in a canoe, paddled the lower lake, towed the boat up the creek, stashed it at the upper lake and took off on a week long loop, came back to the canoe and paddled back to the trailhead. 

I also loved the photos from the Dinosaur area. And City of Rocks. I'd love to do a road trip like that but as I read your report I realized that I have become more than just a little hesitant to travel alone. The irony is that while I haven't left Mono County in several years the incident happened in this county. I'll backpack solo though. Wildlife doesn't frighten me - people do. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users