• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:17 PM

About 10 days ago I jumped into the Tow Missle to go to the shop to do some work, started the thing up, and went to load some stuff into the back. While I was doing that I remember thinking to myself this thing sounds good, like a diesel is supposed to sound. Well the ride was uneventful about 85mi. When I got to the shop I got out of the truck, which was still running on the shut down timer, well it was barley running, it was loping real bad and I could hear the rpms running up and down at a very weird pace. WTF, by now I had a little crowd of experts giving their opinion as to what was happening, while we were standing there it died. I walked away to gather my thoughts, and walked back to the truck to see if it would start, I thought it was weird that my driver side wheel well looked like it was wet, wet, it's 95 deg., so I take a look and I see what looks like trans.fluid to me, this is crazy, how could it end up here, after taking a good look I realized it was a pin hole leak in one of the power steering hoses, to find out which one, off comes the flare, the fender liner, etc. etc. While I'm doing this Dustin is putting the scan tool to the brain box, no check eng. light by the way. Well it's not puking any codes either. I'm thinking it's the wiring in the valve cover gaskets that carry injector commands and power to the glow plugs, they're almost a service item on a 7.3,.So I clear off the to of the motor(not a small job) pull off the valve covers and find no problems that I can see. Put that back together with new plugs, and gaskets, because it would have been crazy not to. Now what, maybe the ECU that would be nice their only about $2800. Now I'm getting all kinds of opinions, and I'm getting pretty pissed because I don't know what direction to go next. A guy I know runs the service dept. at the local Ford dealer offers to run a scan on the thing for free, because he thinks it,s the ECU, everybody had an opinion and we wanted to know if anybody was right. We had to load the truck on a trailer, which was no small job, these things don't roll around to easy. Nobody was right in the end, it turned out to be the electronic pulse sensor for the injection system. It was a $387. part, much better than a new ECU, and about a 20 min. fix in the end. I have to say that is the only motor related issue I've had with this truck since I've had it. While I was working on this thing I decided to install a 2gal. air tank thats been sitting around here for about a year that we were going to use for something else, but we can't remember what. I moved the bag pump and made some brackets to support both pumps along side the tank, 35ft. self coil hose and a quick disconnect, braided of course. I know what your gonna say, but think about this $387 for 60k service, and it's a Ford, at least you can work on it your self, well sort of.

Attached Thumbnails

• 014.JPG
  • 015.JPG
  • 016.JPG

"I WANT TO DIE IN MY SLEEP LIKE MY GRANDFATHER, NOT SCREAMING IN TERROR LIKE THE REST OF THE PEOPLE IN HIS CAR''

#2 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:29 PM

**snip**
I moved the bag pump and made some brackets to support both pumps along side the tank, 35ft. self coil hose and a quick disconnect, braided of course. I know what your gonna say, but think about this $387 for 60k service, and it's a Ford, at least you can work on it your self, well sort of.

Let me be the first to say it. A Bag pump? Next you'll tell us you have a cat litter toilet. :rolleyes:

#3 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:33 PM

"Put that back together with new plugs, and gaskets, because it would have been crazy not to."

Which kind are you using? I think my Cummins needs new plugs too.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#4 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:37 PM

Let me be the first to say it. A Bag pump? Next you'll tell us you have a cat litter toilet. :rolleyes:

Now that you mention it, I was able to make two posts today that pertain to the two subjects that I hate the most, first it's Fishmore's worthless crapper, and then I had to bring up the AIRBAG subject again, before I go any further please accept my sincere apologies, I'll try to make sure it won't happen again. What the hell was I thinking?
"I WANT TO DIE IN MY SLEEP LIKE MY GRANDFATHER, NOT SCREAMING IN TERROR LIKE THE REST OF THE PEOPLE IN HIS CAR''

#5 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:47 PM

"Put that back together with new plugs, and gaskets, because it would have been crazy not to."

Which kind are you using? I think my Cummins needs new plugs too.

GLOW PLUGS MR. PUEBLO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users