12 replies to this topic

#11 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 16 October 2023 - 02:12 AM

I'd been wondering if a larger diameter tire would work on our truck, and found many instances where an inch higher would fit no problem. We do a lot of pretty nasty roads. We ran into a guy while out camping who had done that on the same kind of truck. It bothered me that they were even heavier than our too-heavy E-rated tires, but a little more clearance sure is attractive.

Then this post opened my eyes to "pizza cutter" tires. This and some other anecdotes from off road enthusiasts got us talked into it. We'll report back in a couple years if it was a good idea for a truck camper! We went from 265/70R16 to 235/85R16 (1" more diameter, 1.25" less width), which are just a bit lighter.

We'll get quite a hit on "gas mileage" as reported through the odometer, just based on tire diameter. Our worn tires lost 11/32, so that's a little over 2% "improvement". The new tires will have a 3.6% "hit", so all of a sudden it'll look like a 6% "hit" in gas mileage. Then there's the weight of an old vs. new tire...

By the way, our KO2 tires wore down to 4/32 after 56,000 miles. Can't complain about that.

Edited by rubberlegs, 16 October 2023 - 02:25 AM.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#12 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 16 October 2023 - 02:19 AM

Just so happens when I replaced my tires recently, that I went with 235/85r16 from previous 265/75r16 on my Toyota Tacoma. Same diameter, lighter and cheaper.

How do you like the new tire size so far? My first impression was the steering seemed easier. But that might be all in my mind. I noticed there's quite a crown on the tires, and the middle was 15/32 but the outside tread was several 32nds less. The installers used 42 psi all around (and the truck was empty).

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#13 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 17 October 2023 - 12:42 PM

Most times a crown in the middle of the tread would indicate, running to low a pressure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users