• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 57Pan

57Pan

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 18 August 2023 - 04:12 PM

I switched out my Domenic rm2193 absorption refrigerator to a Domenic Crx65 compressor refrigerator.
Even though my old absorption refrigerator functioned correctly in all 3 modes it just struggled to hard in the heat, and wouldn’t keep things cold enough when ever the temperature outside was above 85 degrees.
It was a fairly easy switch almost perfect dimensions. Didn’t have to trim the cabinet at all, just added some wood to screw the mounting screws into, and added some additional insulation around the new refrigerator. Also blocked the lower venting on the exterior door, still have upper venting so compressor heat can vent out.
Got a great deal on Walmarts website for the new refrigerator, almost thought it was too good to be true.
Crossing my fingers that I’ll be happier with the performance of this refrigerator.
I’m running it off a 100ah lithium battery that is charged by 200 watt solar and Renogy DCC30S thinking this should work for me.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2700.jpeg

#2 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 743 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 18 August 2023 - 04:42 PM

I replaced my original Dometic with this model 2? years ago. Been pretty happy with it though it seems to run more frequently than the original when it was in its prime (it finally lost its cool and they don't make these things to be repaired or serviced.)

One thing I think I've figured out is to not pack the fridge too full. There needs to be convective circulation for the thermostat to properly regulate temperature and maintain an even cooling. I use the outdoor part of a wireless indoor/outdoor thermometer to monitor temps even from the truck cab.

"I'm not an expert; I'm an enthusiast!" - New Mexico, U.S.A - The Land of Enchantment

http://bosquebill.blogspot.com My Travel Blog

http://www.bosquebill.com My New Mexico Website

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5 V6 4x4 - 2013 FWC Fleet

#3 57Pan

57Pan

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 19 August 2023 - 02:52 PM

How level do you need to keep a compressor refrigerators? My driveway has a slope to it, so in the past with my absorption refrigerator I would always level my truck. Thinking and hoping that I don’t need to do this with my new refrigerator.

#4 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 19 August 2023 - 02:59 PM

100ah and 200watts of solar?  That doesn't seem like enough but I don't have that setup and I'm sure others who do, will know better than me.  

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#5 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 743 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 19 August 2023 - 03:17 PM

This model of compressor fridge is designed to be used on boats as well as RVs so is very tolerant. The manual just says "short term inclinations up to 30º are permissible." So I suspect your driveway is safe.

I think your battery/solar system is fine. I ran my original for years with about half that capacity. Really depends on your other loads. My CRX-65 compressor draws 2.5 - 3.5 amps at nominal 12vdc when running.

"I'm not an expert; I'm an enthusiast!" - New Mexico, U.S.A - The Land of Enchantment

http://bosquebill.blogspot.com My Travel Blog

http://www.bosquebill.com My New Mexico Website

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5 V6 4x4 - 2013 FWC Fleet

#6 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,972 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 19 August 2023 - 05:28 PM

no need to be super level.  These danfoss based fridges all use about 3A when running.  On a 85+ day, making 3 meals a day so opening the fridge about 3x5 = 15 times (worst case) I find that it runs about 30% of the time... 8hours x 3A = 24AH.  Even with a few other loads, you should be good for 2 days without needing to charge.   Do also have a shunt based SOC battery monitor?  That will keep you informed as to your battery status.

#7 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 19 August 2023 - 07:40 PM

i have the dometic 75L, and my 200 w solar, and 100w lith batt handled it just fine.  mine has 2 lids, so rarely have to access the freezer side when configured that way.   i never did a week at 98 deg. though.

Oregon

#8 Outnabout

Outnabout

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 20 August 2023 - 12:09 AM

I recently installed an Indel B 12v 130L. I have 160w panel and dual 75AH AGM batteries. So far I seem to be fine. On a recent trip I got down to 83% after two days in the shade. I’m very happy with the fridge. Cold beer doesn’t seem like such a novel idea since I went from a 3-way to the compressor 12v.

#9 57Pan

57Pan

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 25 August 2023 - 11:58 PM

Just got back from a 4 night trip with the new refrigerator. Worked like a dream, steady 36 degrees, never got down below 8o% on battery always full recharge on solar only before noon. Didn’t drive for 4 days so dc to dc charger never came into play. Liking my new refrigerator, and solar set up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users