16 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,346 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 29 August 2023 - 08:07 PM

.......let alone diagnosing the problem. I enjoy watching Brian's videos on repair issues. He does a nice job.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 29 August 2023 - 08:36 PM

I've been a fan of FTM for a couple or three years now.  A fan of late model trucks--not so much.

I keep on hearing from guys in the vehicle repair industry:  Whatever you do, hang on to your old truck.  Reckon I'll be doing that.

Foy

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 29 August 2023 - 08:37 PM

Right now, I feel like a whole tree full of owls for buying bumper to bumper extended service for my 2019 Ranger.  Initially, I thought I might have been foolish, but not after this.

I am haunted by waters

#4 TacomaAustin

TacomaAustin

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 29 August 2023 - 08:48 PM

That's a great youtube channel.  My guess is if someone opts for the lower optioned F150 XL FX4, there is less tech to replace down the road.

Edited by TacomaAustin, 29 August 2023 - 08:49 PM.

Andrew in Austin, TX

#5 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,297 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 29 August 2023 - 10:36 PM

Right now, I feel like a whole tree full of owls for buying bumper to bumper extended service for my 2019 Ranger.  Initially, I thought I might have been foolish, but not after this.

Same here Steve.On our new (last November) Toyota RAV 4 hybrid I sorta got talked into the "extra coverage".

But these new vehicles have so much tech stuff to go wrong I also feel the extra coverage is needed.

Being a,used to be  "shade tree" mechanic was great for working on  my GT 350 and other pre computer cars.

But there's no way I would even attempt a repair. Maybe replacing a bulb or wipers but let the pros fix everything else.

It's scary thinking about the problems that can come up with the vehicles today.

Look at the simple cause of that $5600 repair. You would think waterproofing would be a no brainer.

Thanks for that post Ski.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#6 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 30 August 2023 - 04:14 AM

When I retired I hoped I was done with wrenching on my own stuff. Instead I have to do my own work, if I can. I cringe when I pay a shop but all I have to do is look at new truck prices to know I did the right thing. I have no desire for that latest in tech. I still roll up my own windows!

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#7 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 30 August 2023 - 05:05 PM

When I related FTM's story to my son, himself the owner of a 2018 F150, he reminded me that the top end radar-equipped tail light assemblies have become high end items to steal due to their high value and ease of removal.  He'd bought his XLT model new, and like his curmudgeonly father, was not interested in all of the bells and whistles.  

#8 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 30 August 2023 - 09:34 PM

Scary part is if it fails or is stolen while you're offroad you're screwed. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#9 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 31 August 2023 - 12:05 AM

hmmmm.  i hopefully wont be regretting my soon to be sprinter van.

i understand the sprinter comes std with an electronic oil level gauge.......   but, there is a physical oil level gauge one can buy.....

go

Oregon

#10 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 31 August 2023 - 03:44 AM

If I were younger and my wrenching buddies were still around I would go down south to get a rust free 1970 or older pickup to rebuild.  As much mechanical as possible.  Problem in Minnesota is the bodies rust out if nothing else craps out first.  Drive train seems to go forever.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users