Autumn, Gottem

We returned home late yesterday afternoon. It, now, is definitively Autumn! :)

The high country has a brand new dusting of snow and we drove with ice on the pavement. We currently have a high wind advisory that we hope will knock down most of the pine needles from the ponderosas. It is cold and the furnace in the house is now on for the season.

:)

Tested the heater but I'll wait for winter rates before I start running it. Still waiting for the wind.

ski3pin said:
We returned home late yesterday afternoon. It, now, is definitively Autumn! :)

The high country has a brand new dusting of snow and we drove with ice on the pavement. We currently have a high wind advisory that we hope will knock down most of the pine needles from the ponderosas. It is cold and the furnace in the house is now on for the season.

:)
Big wind and big windrows of pine needles on the ground. Is this why it's called "fall?"

ski3pin said:
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy (and three oh girls too!), we are enjoy early morning light today! Finally. :)
I have to agree, it is a delight to have more light in the morning, but the Eeyore in me says it’s sure gunna get dark early.

As a retired guy who can set his own schedule, I wake up and go to sleep when I feel like it -- regardless of the official clock time. So DST or not doesn't affect me much.

But there's sure no avoiding the seasonal changes in daylight length and times -- the ones based on the Earth's tilt and orbit, not the law (without doing some equator hopping).

Wandering Sagebrush said:
I have to agree, it is a delight to have more light in the morning, but the Eeyore in me says it’s sure gunna get dark early.
Yes, but you know us. We're morning people. :)

MarkBC said:
As a retired guy who can set his own schedule, I wake up and go to sleep when I feel like it -- regardless of the official clock time. So DST or not doesn't affect me much.

But there's sure no avoiding the seasonal changes in daylight length and times -- the ones based on the Earth's tilt and orbit, not the law (without doing some equator hopping).
Very true. But meeting friends, appointments, store hours; we can't get away from the "clock."

Raining and storming this morning. Put together a batch of French Onion soup in the crockpot. That's a good fit for the weather.

I want to see the sun rise out of the Atlantic. The only other time I did was in 2015 in Acadia NP in Maine.
I'm camped near Virginia Beach, Virginia. A couple days ago I could have slept in until 7am to see the 7:30 show... But now I have to get up by 6am to see the same thing!
My campground is on a north-facing beach, so I have to drive a few miles to get on the other side of the point to be able to see east.
No...I'm not really complaining.

IMG_20231106_154452.jpg
That fence across the beach marks the boundary of Fort Story - a military base, about 100m from my campsite. I can hear the daily bugle calls (amplified, not acoustic).

ski3pin said:
Raining and storming this morning. Put together a batch of French Onion soup in the crockpot. That's a good fit for the weather.
Stormy here, too. Experimenting with a pot of Heartbreak Soup. Hopefully another good fit for the season.

I found an interesting piece in our "forecast discussion" from NOAA

.EXTENDED DISCUSSION (Sunday THROUGH Wednesday)...
Rossby wave analysis showing stable 4-wave pattern across N
Hemisphere Sunday with long wave out along 140 W. It will be slow
to progress given large downstream upper ridge covering western
half of U.S. Dry weather expected Sunday into Monday. NBM/EC
spread light precip into western portions of interior NorCal
Monday afternoon into night, while preferred slower GFS trends
wetter Tuesday. GFS also showing significant QPF Tuesday into
Thursday as multiple baroclinic zones tap into Cat 1 AR (250-500
kg/ms). Snow levels expected around 5000 to 5500 feet during this
period with potential for significant mountain snow.
PCH

99 percent humidity with 36 degree temperature, no wind... FOG! What a dull gray yucky morning. Come on wind.

Back
Top Bottom