I am haunted by waters

#2 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 September 2023 - 04:42 PM

Last year we spent much of our three plus weeks above 8,000 feet, up to over 11,000 feet on Mt Ellen in the Henry mountains. But... we live at sea level (210 ft asl, actually) so we knew to spend at least 4 to 5 days above 4,000 ft to let our bodies acclimate. We were breathing deep for oxygen on Mt Ellen, Angel Lake and around Wheeler Peak but never felt dizzy or headaches.

https://www.flickr.c...177720302457889

This guy will be back -- he learned a valuable lesson. Good of him to share it.

Edited by AWG_Pics, 02 September 2023 - 04:44 PM.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#3 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,775 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 02 September 2023 - 04:49 PM

Looks like three lessons worked into the story.

• Careful where you drive to disperse camp for road conditions and weather. Been there done that!
  • Pay attention to your body for high altitude symptoms as with a vehicle you can gain higher elevations faster than your body can adapt to.  Be smart and descend to lower elevation.
  • There is always adjustments to multiple plans that can be developed and still have a great time and see wonderful sights.

Thanks for sharing... where is part two?

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 02 September 2023 - 05:10 PM

When I was in the White Mountains I developed a headache. Mild hangover? I did have a pliny for dinner. I decided it wasn't worth the risk just in case it was altitude sickness and promptly descended. 

I hate to see people rutting up roads because they didn't want to turn around :(

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,346 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 02 September 2023 - 05:33 PM

Good for Donald to recognize the signs and symptoms of AMS and descend - the only real "fix". The one contributing factor he did not mention (and sorry if I missed it if he did) was lack of good rest and sleep on his drive to Colorado.

This did not apply to Donald, but as Craig mentioned, alcohol does not mix well with AMS. One of Julie & my first First Responder instructors was a paramedic who worked at South Lake Tahoe. Weekends meant partiers coming up from the Bay area (sea level) and getting right to partying and alcohol and late nights at 6300 feet elevation. AMS big time.

Mr. Sage, thanks for posting the video. We watched it early this morning with our mugs of coffee. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 02 September 2023 - 06:29 PM

One thing I have learned from experience:

If you travel with a pet, they can suffer from the same altitude issues and you.  And they can't tell you so you need to watch their behavior.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 03 September 2023 - 04:37 AM

good point. I live at sea level (pretty dang close, 25asl) and  i try and spend a day or two at 6-7k before I move on up. Ted's spot is as high as I'll go in a day trip and that's pushing it.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users