Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,300 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 05 September 2023 - 07:29 PM

Nice "cuts".Thanks for sharing.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#22 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 522 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 05 September 2023 - 09:47 PM

wow, those are nice feeesh.  it seems remarkable that they can get that size, in a high lake like that.

must be a sasquatch up there feeding them.

Oregon

#23 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,980 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 05 September 2023 - 10:45 PM

Wow, awesome fishing. Love those “hamburgers”. I really wonder how that outhouse door got locked??? ;-)

#24 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 05 September 2023 - 11:26 PM

wow, those are nice feeesh.  it seems remarkable that they can get that size, in a high lake like that.

must be a sasquatch up there feeding them.

They are planted then allowed to eat everything they can for a couple of years. The fish grow to a nice size but after another year or so you have skinny fish with big heads due to starvation. A year or so later there are no fish. After a few years when food builds up again another batch will be planted to start the cycle again. Western state F&G folks have been doing this cycle in high mountain lakes for 50 or more years. No harm, no foul. Just a service to support sport fisheries. In the early days the hatchery raised fish were carried up by horse/mule packtrains in barrels. Later aerial drops of fish became the norm. Maybe still are doing that.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#25 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,603 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 06 September 2023 - 12:35 AM

They are planted then allowed to eat everything they can for a couple of years. The fish grow to a nice size but after another year or so you have skinny fish with big heads due to starvation. A year or so later there are no fish. After a few years when food builds up again another batch will be planted to start the cycle again. Western state F&G folks have been doing this cycle in high mountain lakes for 50 or more years. No harm, no foul. Just a service to support sport fisheries. In the early days the hatchery raised fish were carried up by horse/mule packtrains in barrels. Later aerial drops of fish became the norm. Maybe still are doing that.

Off topic apologies in advance… There’s a great story told by the late John Day, a wealthy adventurer from So Oregon, who as a college student backpacked trout from the Crater Lake rim down to Cleatwood Cove to stock the lake.  At the top, he was asked by a well dressed matronly looking woman what he was transporting.  His reply was “Why the dye, Mam.  You don’t think the lake gets that blue by itself, do you?”

At various times, John held records like the fastest time from Medford to Portland on a bicycle, skiing the 33 miles around the Crater Lake rim in 4 or 5 hours.  He was also air evacuated, due to a broken leg, from  high on Denali.

I am haunted by waters

#26 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 06 September 2023 - 01:03 AM

Great story Steve!

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

#27 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,355 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 06 September 2023 - 01:03 AM

Please allow me to disagree somewhat with this. Yes, many times in years past, this would occur. In many of the past years I've seen the number of planted fish reduced to match the food supply. The unnamed lake mentioned in my story, has an abundant food supply that is growing big cutthroat trout. Success with put and grow trout stocking is also dependent on the species planted. In the early 1900's many fishless high country lakes in the West were stocked with non-native brook trout from eastern North America- actually a char, Salvelinus fontinalis. These fish can reproduce in lakes. Our native western trout species- genus Oncorhynchus - need suitable gravels in flowing streams to reproduce. Without suitable spawning grounds, such as at most high country lakes, cutthroat trout do not naturally spawn and replace the population, but die off after 7 or 8 years, a normal lifespan. Brook trout will reproduce and overpopulate a lake and consume all the food and are the skinny fish with big heads you describe. Once in a lake, Brook trout are near impossible to remove or eliminate. I am not a fan of Brook Trout. Our state's Department of Fish and Wildlife has been working on clever ways of ridding high country lakes of Brook Trout.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#28 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,026 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 06 September 2023 - 01:14 AM

They are pretty tasty!

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#29 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 06 September 2023 - 01:59 AM

Please allow me to disagree somewhat with this. Yes, many times in years past, this would occur. In many of the past years I've seen the number of planted fish reduced to match the food supply. The unnamed lake mentioned in my story, has an abundant food supply that is growing big cutthroat trout. Success with put and grow trout stocking is also dependent on the species planted. In the early 1900's many fishless high country lakes in the West were stocked with non-native brook trout from eastern North America- actually a char, Salvelinus fontinalis. These fish can reproduce in lakes. Our native western trout species- genus Oncorhynchus - need suitable gravels in flowing streams to reproduce. Without suitable spawning grounds, such as at most high country lakes, cutthroat trout do not naturally spawn and replace the population, but die off after 7 or 8 years, a normal lifespan. Brook trout will reproduce and overpopulate a lake and consume all the food and are the skinny fish with big heads you describe. Once in a lake, Brook trout are near impossible to remove or eliminate. I am not a fan of Brook Trout. Our state's Department of Fish and Wildlife has been working on clever ways of ridding high country lakes of Brook Trout.

I think we agree that brook trout introduction was a mistake. I know a lot of the IDFG folks -- they are working hard to restore native fish populations and stave off invasives and "bucket biologist" introductions. It is an uphill battle, but they are very good at what they do.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

#30 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,355 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 06 September 2023 - 02:12 AM

I think we agree that brook trout introduction was a mistake. I know a lot of the IDFG folks -- they are working hard to restore native fish populations and stave off invasives and "bucket biologist" introductions. It is an uphill battle, but they are very good at what they do.

It sure is an uphill battle. Planting of trout in waters that were fishless has/had many unintended consequences, many that we possibly don't yet realize. Your second point is something all of us should take a deep breath and let it soak in. With all the complaining we hear - far to easy to do and so much of it is just noise - the majority of the folks in the field working for us are talented, clever, hard working folks trying to do the best job for us they can. They're part of our community, our neighbors, and friends. They deserve our utmost respect and support.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users