4 replies to this topic

#1 Dipodomys

Dipodomys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 05 September 2023 - 08:55 PM

Our rig's dual 12v lead-acid batteries barely limped through our trip last weekend, and at 7 years old they're at the end of their lifecycle, so time for an upgrade!

I'm planning to upgrade to a LiFePO4 battery, MPPT solar charge controller, DC-DC charger with 6 AWG marine-grade wire from the truck battery. I'll keep the existing 160 W Zamp rooftop solar panel and Iota converter for now.

The rig:

• 2015 Tacoma
  • 2017 Fleet (front dinette)

New components planned:

• battery - 200 Ah Kilovault HLX+
  • solar charge controller - Victron  SmartSolar MPPT 100V 30 amp 12/24-Volt (Bluetooth)
  • DC-DC charger - Victron Orion Tr-Smart 12v/12v-30a
  • battery monitor (possibly) - Victron BMV 712

Installation plan:

First, install the new battery and solar charge controller; they're ordered and on the way. At the same time, I'll disconnect the camper from the truck's battery/alternator to protect those components.

Later I'll replace the existing wiring from the truck and the Blue Sea isolator with 6 AWG marine grade wire and the Victron DC-DC charger. From what I've read around here, that will require removing the Fleet from the Tacoma.

Questions (for now):

When I replace the existing Zamp ZS-30A solar charge controller with the Victron, I'm going to end up with a hole in the front of my cabinet where the Zamp controller is currently installed. Since there's no display on the Victron charge controller, it doesn't make sense to mount it in the same location. Does anyone have a suggestion for how to patch that hole? I suppose I could try jigsawing a patch out of similar plywood, which I could glue to a piece of thin plywood larger than the hole. The patch could then be installed into the hole from inside the cabinet, and the larger backing piece glued to the back side of the piece with the hole in it.

#2 heinphoto

heinphoto

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area (East Bay)

Posted 05 September 2023 - 09:27 PM

Zero Declination sells a plate desgined to cover the opening.  It also provides a place to mount the BMV-712 (which you should absolutely have with lithium batteries since voltage isn't a reliable indicator of SOC).

https://www.zerodecl...y-adapter-plate

Edited by heinphoto, 05 September 2023 - 09:30 PM.

FWC Slide-in Grandby and OEV Aluma Tray on a Ford F350 Supercab with the 6.2L Gas Engine.

http://www.heinphoto.com/

IG: heinphoto

#3 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 05 September 2023 - 10:11 PM

That hole is in a perfect location and is an appropriate size as a handhold when climbing into the camper.  I just left my newfound handhold as is. It is much better than grabbing the drawer handle on my front dinette Hawk.  :)

I mounted my battery monitor above the light switches panel so I could see it on entering the camper or when standing on the ground before entering.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#4 Dipodomys

Dipodomys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 September 2023 - 12:15 AM

Zero Declination sells a plate desgined to cover the opening.  It also provides a place to mount the BMV-712 (which you should absolutely have with lithium batteries since voltage isn't a reliable indicator of SOC).

https://www.zerodecl...y-adapter-plate

Well, that would be easy! I might just get that plate, though PaulT has given me second thoughts. I do seem inclined to grab that dang drawer handle!

As for the battery monitor, the Kilovault HLX+ battery I just ordered has a shunt monitor built in with the BMS. It uses an app on an Apple or Android device via bluetooth for display. That said, I believe the Victron BMV-712 may provide more information, and I like having a mounted gauge to glance at without having to use my phone (which has its own battery issues). So I'll probably still get it.

#5 Dipodomys

Dipodomys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 September 2023 - 12:16 AM

That hole is in a perfect location and is an appropriate size as a handhold when climbing into the camper.  I just left my newfound handhold as is. It is much better than grabbing the drawer handle on my front dinette Hawk.  :)

I mounted my battery monitor above the light switches panel so I could see it on entering the camper or when standing on the ground before entering.

Paul

That is both hilarious and a great idea!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users