Photo
- - - - -

Lippert - Challenger Door Issue (Black Frame Style)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 06 September 2023 - 06:29 PM

I have had a fit problem with the door on my new Cougar, it apparently has sagged within the frame, making it hard to lock the deadbolt, and allowing slight water intrusion in severe weather.

Marty just called me to tell me there is an easy fix, and if you want, ATC will do the fix (even if not in warranty) for you if you bring your camper by the shop.

The fix:  open the door, leaving the screen door closed.  There are 6 hinges, each with 3 square drive self-tapping screws.  Remove all of the screws being careful to not drop the door.  

On the door, drill a pilot hole 3/16” below one of the existing holes on the top hinge, and do the same for one of the hinges towards the bottom.  This will shift the door up the 3/16 of an inch.  

Re-mount the door using the pilot holes to get the proper alignment.  Then using the remaining self tapping screws, complete screwing down the other hinges.

KUDOS to James in Canada, the person who discovered the fix, and to Marty for reaching out to share the information.

I greatly appreciate ATC’s customer focus!

I am haunted by waters

#2 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 07 September 2023 - 03:42 AM

Always great whenever someone shares a quick DIY fix...even if it is under warranty. 

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts

Posted 14 September 2023 - 10:21 PM

Just did the door adjustment on my Cougar, it works As advertised.  My only recommendations are (1) make sure all the hinges are on the back side of the door, (2) it would be easier having someone help to align the door when reinstalling.

I am haunted by waters

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts

Posted 27 September 2023 - 08:19 PM

After making the hinge adjustment, my door started catching when opening. I had the time to sleuth it today, and it turned out to be the catch on the inside of the door that releases the screen door when booth doors are closed.   Loosen two screws, move the catch down, tighten the screws.  All done.

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users