• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,385 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 07 September 2023 - 12:36 PM

It's been a long time in the process; a new truck, flatbed, etc. and many, many nights out camping (we can do anywhere from 60 - 100 nights/year) and exploring AND almost a year long diagnosis of cancer and treatment (on-going) we're finally headed out tomorrow to Bear's Ears.  I'm still going through side-effects but hopefully I'll find out that I'm "cancer free" today (or along the way) and can get through the rest.

I asked a long time ago about places to go, etc. and have those on our plans.  We typically decide where we are going "on-the-fly" depdendent on weather, crowds, etc. so sure this trip will be the same.  We've got about 2 weeks to explore, got our maps, did our research, etc.  

We're starting from home (Boise) and will get to SLC tomorrow then on to Bear's Ears and surrounding are the next day (we don't like to drive super long distances each day).

Thanks to everyone for suggestions!

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 07 September 2023 - 12:44 PM

Kevin, I was sorry to learn you’ve been diagnosed and have undergone treatment for cancer.  I hope you do get that cancer free message, and have a wonderful trip to Bear’s Ears

I am haunted by waters

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 07 September 2023 - 02:22 PM

A heartfelt desire that you continue to get good news and that your "on the fly" adventure is grand! :)

Travel safe.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 07 September 2023 - 06:07 PM

Have a great trip and the good news on your treatment.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#5 Dipodomys

Dipodomys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 September 2023 - 07:38 PM

I love it and think you can hardly go wrong out there as far as finding nice places to be. If you're health allows it, be sure to hike into some canyons. Fish and Owl creeks and Mule Canyon (upper and lower) are great, but you can pretty much pick a canyon at random and know it's going to be awesome. There are Chacoan ruins and potsherds everywhere. As for driving, don't miss the chance to drive down (southbound) the Moki Dugway on 261 into Valley of the Gods.

#6 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 07 September 2023 - 08:54 PM

Hope that you have a great trip and that you get positive news regarding your cancer.  On several occasions, we have stayed at a BLM dispersed camping spot at the intersection of 95 and 261.  It is a good place to get your "ducks in a row" before heading up to Bears Ears, Elk Ridge, etc.   

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#7 searching for nowhere

searching for nowhere

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • LocationWestern Washington

Posted 08 September 2023 - 02:24 AM

I enjoyed camping in 2016 above the Moki Dugway in an area that is east of the overlook.  Drive the road to the overlook and when somewhat close to the edge, look for a road going east.  There are lots of places to camp and call home.  Outstanding view.  Hopefully the area is still open for disperse camping.    

Camping with a small trailer.  Everyday is a good day to go camping.

https://searchingfor.wordpress.com/

#8 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,385 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 08 September 2023 - 12:32 PM

Thanks everyone for the well wishes and suggestions; it's very much appreciated.  No news yet but I'll enjoy the trip and time... I'll try to do a report when I get back later in the month (have to be back for an oncology appointment).

Headed out from Boise in about an hour! 

Kevin

Edited by kmcintyre, 08 September 2023 - 12:38 PM.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#9 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 08 September 2023 - 06:27 PM

It's possible we will bump into down there. Have a great trip!

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#10 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,385 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 08 September 2023 - 09:44 PM

It's possible we will bump into down there. Have a great trip!

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users