9 replies to this topic

#1 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 16 September 2023 - 01:39 AM

I have 400 watts of solar and two lithium 100 Ah batteries. When my Blue Sky monitor is in Battery Volt/Amp mode it reads 13.7 and -14.2 with no appliances or lights on. If I turn on the fridge it will then read 13.7 and -10.2. Why would the Amps read as a negative?

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#2 Dadocut

Dadocut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast of CA

Posted 16 September 2023 - 06:19 AM

Yes, negative amps  is a thing.  If the current is negative it means the current is flowing in the opposite direction. 

It sounds as if the sensors on a current shunt are hooked up backwards giving you readings that are negative.  

Hope this helps

#3 Dadocut

Dadocut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 September 2023 - 07:25 AM

Current is measured by sensing the voltage drop across a shunt.  That is, the wire from the battery goes through a shunt (a low ohm resistor of a known fixed value).  On most RV's this shunt is on the ground wire to the battery. The shunt has a slight voltage drop that is proportional to the current.  Measuring the voltage drop across the shunt gives the current (since Volts=current*amps).  The two wires sensing this voltage drop are backwards so the current incorrectly reads as negative.

#4 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 16 September 2023 - 05:35 PM

Thanks Dadocut. I will follow up on this with the manufacturer.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#5 Dadocut

Dadocut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 September 2023 - 09:31 PM

How one refers to current direction is arbitrary. yours is set up so Negative current means juice is leaving the battery. Positive current means the battery is charging. That's the way my system is set up too. There's really no reason to switch the polarity of your current sensing wires.

I should have mentioned that in the first place but got carried away by negative amps!

#6 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,775 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 19 September 2023 - 11:58 PM

I have 400 watts of solar and two lithium 100 Ah batteries. When my Blue Sky monitor is in Battery Volt/Amp mode it reads 13.7 and -14.2 with no appliances or lights on. If I turn on the fridge it will then read 13.7 and -10.2. Why would the Amps read as a negative?

Yea I'm not understanding why you are seeing negative "-" 14.2 amps with nothing being drawn and turn on fridge reads negative "-" 10.2 amps.  

Did it read more normal or different in the past?  If so what has changed?

You have a three amp draw when you turned on the fridge.  My Victron shunt would show if I had zero amp draw as 0.00 amp.  If I created a draw like you with the 3 amp draw for fridge the meter would show a negative "-" 3.0 amp draw.  Display would show it as a negative draw.  Solar going in would show as a positive.

What does it show when your solar is putting in amps to the battery with nothing on?

Edited by pvstoy, 19 September 2023 - 11:59 PM.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#7 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,974 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 24 September 2023 - 10:17 PM

The important bit I see here is that the negative number gets smaller when you add MORE draw.  It should read bigger!  Does this monitor have a "Calibrate" function?  That is used to setup the shunt so it reads "0.0" amps when there really is nothing going in or out.... 

#8 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 25 September 2023 - 03:01 AM

Solar is supplying -14.2 amps, reading negative because of the direction the shunt was installed, then the fridge comes on and draws about 4 amps, hence the reduction in amps into the battery to -10.2?

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#9 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,775 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 25 September 2023 - 03:43 AM

Yea that all sounds reasonable, but Ted has had his Tiger for some time now and suddenly it's reading backwards?? Question is what has changed to make it this way.

Mice getting organized and rewiring his system?

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#10 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,974 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 26 September 2023 - 03:32 AM

Solar is supplying -14.2 amps, reading negative because of the direction the shunt was installed, then the fridge comes on and draws about 4 amps, hence the reduction in amps into the battery to -10.2?

Possible, assuming the wires are backwards.  BUT, as Patrick pointed out, Ted has had this camper for a while.  Mice are creative, but not typically good at attaching wires in reverse.... 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users